Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

(DSLR) Buy used now or wait for Black Friday?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 AM
ni$mo350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (DSLR) Buy used now or wait for Black Friday?

I finally saved up enough for my camera and am wondering if I should pick up a used one on Craigs or wait for deals to come out this month. I'm a little worried that there won't be many deals this year from what people around the office are saying. I'm specifically looking into the Rebel EOS Xsi witht he stock lens just to play around with while learning. The lightly used kits are going for around $500-$550 and on cheapstingybargains and prophotosupply they're going for around $600 new..

PS: I'm also on the Canon forum (photography-on-the-net) and I'm looking for deals on there but it's about the same. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do it now - I don't think black Friday usually yields much in terms of DSLR deals. I think you're doing the right thing by using Canon first - just remember in a year when you're ready to move over to a pro-series, go Nikon Seriously, the first time I held up a Nikon D300 and a Canon 50D...I knew Canon screwed me on quality.

As for the XSi, I took plenty of great images on it. Here's a couple samples (some were taken with the T1i but it's basically the same sensor - just added HD recording on the T1i) Canon's beginner cameras yields some of the best quality and ergonomics I've ever used - and I've tried a lot of cameras. They are much better than Nikon's d40, d50, d60 lines. Only when you move to the D90 does Nikon start to pull away.

Taken with Kit Lens (18-55mm IS)

Taken with Tonika 12-24mm Super Ultra Wide-Angle

Last edited by AlvinHuyN; 11-05-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
coolsd20

Amazon has Canon Digital Rebel XSI 12MP Digital SLR Camera with Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens + Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens for $843 - $200 instant rebate = $643.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM
ni$mo350

Thanks Alvin for the advice and I will deff take that as a go ahead. Your photos always end up being nut bustingly sick. Hopefully I'll get my skills up to par by the time GG comes around. Are those pics taken with any lighting equipment or should I worry about that after I get used to the DSLR and the settings on it?

Thanks for the heads up coolsd but I think I'm going to try used and local this weekend.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend your time shooting pictures and your money taking classes or reading books.

I see a lot of rotten pictures coming from people shooting with $7000 body and lens combination. It's not possible to buy talent, skills, and abilities in a box though lots of people try. The only short cuts to those traits is spending time behind the lens and/or time in a classroom.

I'll second the recommendation to go with a gently used camera first. I often buy a second camera to back up my primary and a used one makes just as good as pictures as a new one. The NYC companies will clean the sensors and check them out pretty well, the guy I buy from gives me a one year parts and labor warranty on them.

I would recommend that you look at your long term goals if possible. If you plan on making this a serious hobby think beyond this camera to your next and your next ... I've invested in Nikon and my lens and flash gear from one generation of body carry over to the next saving me thousands of dollars. I run though a digital body in about two to three years, by then the next generation is out with something worthwhile. I'll keep the last generation around as a backup body.

You can't go far wrong with Canon or Nikon and depending on what you want to do the Sony, Olympus/Panasonic and Pentax will do you well.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
ni$mo350

It's funny you mention that because my girlfriend bought me one of those "DSLR for Dummies" books recently and I'm just waiting to get the camera to start practicing some of the things I've been reading (I'm a hands on learner) I've also checked out the local CC's for classes but they all require some sort of pre-requisite but I will deff find a class to take.

As far as my long term plans and intentions? I never really thought about it. I'm currently enrolled in training to be an emergency dispatcher but it'd be nice to make some side money. I know a lot of locals who need/want a photographer for either sports or cars/bikes or even their pets. I'm not sure I'd go broader than that though. I've been using PS for about 6 months now and caught onto that quite quickly but I'm tired of sifting through hours of stock photos to do one manipulation so it'd be nice to go out and shoot what I want, when I want and how I want.

Last edited by ni$mo350; 11-05-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 PM
stu46

I'd skip the Rebel line and look for a 30D or 40D for that price. It has much better ergonomics, features, and performance.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by ni$mo350
Thanks Alvin for the advice and I will deff take that as a go ahead. Your photos always end up being nut bustingly sick. Hopefully I'll get my skills up to par by the time GG comes around. Are those pics taken with any lighting equipment or should I worry about that after I get used to the DSLR and the settings on it?

Thanks for the heads up coolsd but I think I'm going to try used and local this weekend.
Thanks bro! Both of those are just lens + camera. The first one is hand held and the 2nd is tripod (a must for low light if for most DSLR except the PRO lines - even then, I'd still recommend it for low light). It's been exactly 1 year since I seriously started taking pictures with a DSLR (started Nov of last year, though I've been taking pictures for as long as I could afford a camera) and needless to say my pictures last year sucked big time. The best way to improve is just to go out and do it.

Read what you can, but just doing it is even better. You'll learn your own style and your own strengths and weaknesses. Just remember, don't take pictures of anything that doesn't intrigue you. You'll get bored and hate it! As for lighting, don't worry about that until later. Shoot with the lights that are available in your setting. After one whole year shooting with the XSi, I finally went straight to pro (I skipped the semi-pro lines cause it was useless to me so I went Full Frame). I'm starting to build my lighting equipment to. If you were closer I'd definitely show you some stuff bro.

Last edited by AlvinHuyN; 11-05-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
DB350

^ your a mod now? ewwwwyy

I remember when I first joined just a little while ago. I thought you was a punk.

On topic: I wish I had money for a good camera. I'm rockin some costco 150$ special
Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Johnnyone

Doesnt look like you save as much for a used camera. Think I rather pay 10 to 15% more and get a brand new camera.

Originally Posted by stu46
I'd skip the Rebel line and look for a 30D or 40D for that price. It has much better ergonomics, features, and performance.
I'm just starting off to and think im gonna skip the rebel line for the type of pics i wanna take.

Biggest decession for me is to get the 50d or 7d...
Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by Johnnyone
Doesnt look like you save as much for a used camera. Think I rather pay 10 to 15% more and get a brand new camera.

I'm just starting off to and think im gonna skip the rebel line for the type of pics i wanna take.

Biggest decession for me is to get the 50d or 7d...
Uh the 7D is a big waste of money. The 50D takes the exact same quality picture against the XSi or T1i. If the argument is "the XXD line is more durable in quality" - if you want quality - go NIKON. The D90 and the D300(s) is 100x better than the 50D and the build quality of the Nikon D700/D3 makes the 5Dmkii looks like a potato gun.

Originally Posted by DB350
^ your a mod now? ewwwwyy

I remember when I first joined just a little while ago. I thought you was a punk.

On topic: I wish I had money for a good camera. I'm rockin some costco 150$ special
uhm ok....
Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
stu46

From all accounts I have seen, the 7D is a much better camera than any other 1.6 crop Canon.

And you're seriously comparing the D300s to a 50D and the D3 to a 5DII?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

From all accounts I have seen, the 7D is a much better camera than any other 1.6 crop Canon.

And you're seriously comparing the D300s to a 50D and the D3 to a 5DII?
I'm comparing the build quality of the D300s to the 50D/7D and the D3/D700 to that of the 5DMkii. Picture quality wise, it's always going to be debatable and comes down to personal preferences. But if you hold each camera up, you'll see a huge difference. And no, I'm not biased, I'm owned three canon and I've used a 5DMKii for about a week when my buddy loaned it to me to try out. There is simple no comparison. I take my camera everywhere and I NEED the durability and ruggedness with extra good weather sealing. That's a huge reason why I chose Nikon over Canon when I went pro-body...among other things So yes, I'm serious.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Don't believe me? See this guy talk about switching his entire professional gear line to Nikon after using the 5D mkii and the D700 for two weeks - and he had many nice L lens from Canon too. He quoted pros who had written about the quality of these two cameras:

http://prakashphotography.blogspot.c...i-weather.html
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
stu46

IMO, the 7D and 50D are not in the same category as far as build quality is concerned. The 7D has very good weather sealing, something the 50D does not. It also has a 150k rated shutter life.

I know a guy that switched from the D700 to the 5DII because of video. People will switch brands all the time. The reason doesn't matter because it's their personal choice.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
dkorr

IMO, the 7D and 50D are not in the same category as far as build quality is concerned. The 7D has very good weather sealing, something the 50D does not. It also has a 150k rated shutter life.

I know a guy that switched from the D700 to the 5DII because of video. People will switch brands all the time. The reason doesn't matter because it's their personal choice.
+1... none of these bodies are FF so you're just wasting money getting the 50D over the 40D... 7D is brand new so you won't be getting any bargains... i'd get a used 40D and experiment with different lenses (rent or borrow) and find out what you like to shoot (subject wise)... after that you'll know what L lenses to get with the 5D... ruggedness and seal is only useful for people who make a living taking pictures (ie journalist, wildlife photogr, etc)

a used 40D can be had for $600 in mint cond, much cheaper than 50D, let alone a 7D... i know people who switch from one camp to the other... it comes down to personal preference and what most of your friends use as well (think lens swap-ability)... bodies will go down in price over time, so debating which body from which camp is pointless, as one will try to outdo the other with their latest and greatest... (think M3 vs RS4)... one will reign for a while until the other steps in with the new model (7D)..... you're energy is better spent researching and deciding on which lens to get... they hold their value better and prices don't change much... i.e. a Canon 70-200 2.8L IS costs the same now as it did 2 yrs ago... the electronics and features for bodies will change, making current models plunge in price, but lens fabrication stays the same more or less (except maybe features like anti-vibr (IS/VR) and drive motor (USM)

Last edited by dkorr; 11-12-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by ni$mo350
I finally saved up enough for my camera and am wondering if I should pick up a used one on Craigs or wait for deals to come out this month. I'm a little worried that there won't be many deals this year from what people around the office are saying. I'm specifically looking into the Rebel EOS Xsi witht he stock lens just to play around with while learning. The lightly used kits are going for around $500-$550 and on cheapstingybargains and prophotosupply they're going for around $600 new..

PS: I'm also on the Canon forum (photography-on-the-net) and I'm looking for deals on there but it's about the same. Thanks for any help.
I'm also on that forum. its better to buy from member because they have seller feedback whereas CL is somewhat risky. I'd skip the XSi/T1i and go for the prosumers. And since you're learning its good to start with a fixed focus lens so you learn all about DOP, aperture, shutter sp, bokeh, metering, comp, etc without all the distractions of zoom.. The Canon Nifty Fifty is at a good price $99 and good starting point to explore.

Last edited by dkorr; 11-12-2009 at 11:52 PM.