Notices

ProEFI Release Date and Pricing!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:48 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
The level one unit will use an external wideband controller of your choice. The level 2 unit has dual internal controllers and will use either NTK or bosch wide band sensors.

Because this is an OEM type computer, it utilizes stock type knock detection. The computer looks for a certain frequency on the sensor computed by the bore size of the engine.
Thanks for the reponse! So the Lvl I unit does not include a wideband controller correct? (or it does but its external?)

As far as the knock detection, how confident are you guys in it being able to advance timing to the most optimum threshold, especially in the higher RPMs, I just figure with so many different engines out there, especially the built engines, they are all going to sound a little different. Usually the OEM knock control is for safety and not optimum for peak performance.

Very interested in the development of this unit!

Thanks again,

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM
minus500
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Thanks for the reponse! So the Lvl I unit does not include a wideband controller correct? (or it does but its external?)

As far as the knock detection, how confident are you guys in it being able to advance timing to the most optimum threshold, especially in the higher RPMs, I just figure with so many different engines out there, especially the built engines, they are all going to sound a little different. Usually the OEM knock control is for safety and not optimum for peak performance.

Thanks again,

-George
GT Motorsports
Very valid point.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:43 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by rocks
Why would you even use this when UpRev can reprogram the stock ecu with cam control? It works fine, i have had it for months. Using volumetric efficancy can be done with a megasquirt and use the stock ecu for the cams its nothing new. I am not trying to flame you but the stock ecu does a damn good job of cam control and reads the factory wideband O2 sensors. BTW using a non stock knock sensor is useless since you wont know the exact harmonics that nissan specced... If there is a way to get the specs of a knock sensor using some sort of tool i would like to know because I have never been able to figure it out.

Here are just a few of the reasons why you should use this unit:

12 Injector drivers - All with built in Injector drivers!! Perfect for a twin injector setup on the Supra!!

16 Coil Drivers - Yes 16!!! No more waste spark!!

32 Analog inputs!!! - There are 32 analog inputs which will be preconfigured for anything you want to do... I.E. plug in a fuel pressure sensor and it automatically activates the trims associated with it. Put a Nitrous pressure sensor on your car and the computer trims fuel accordingly to bottle pressure!! You can datalog everything imaginable!!

10 Low side driver outputs - You can configure these to do whatever you can imagine. Also these will all support 4+ amps each!!

Built in wideband!! - That says it all!!

True volumetric efficeincy - So things like injector and pressure changes don’t have to be calculated and multiple maps changed, it’s all done in the background by simply entering your injector size and base fuel pressure. Actually knowing the injector size and fuel pressure, this allows us to make instantanious feedback changes to things like fuel pressure not staying constant, without relying on the O2 sensor for delayed information. Changing fuel type is as simple as entering the stoichiametric ratio for the fuel used.

Fault coding – Check engine light will tell you fault codes to help diagnose problems. Actions can be assigned with the fault codes. I.E. low oil pressure triggers a fault code, and activates a low rpm limiter. O2 sensor faults will automatically turn off block learning and closed loop feedback. Also the fault codes will be the same as the original ECU!!!

Traction control – multiple comprehensive traction control strategies including defined wheel speed differential between driven and non-driven wheels.

True knock sensing capability with specific knock frequency detection based upon the specific engine being monitored.

Multiple failsafe conditions making it nearly impossible to damage your engine in the case of tuning errors or mechanical malfunctions. I.E. lean, and knock conditions can be used to turn off nitrous, shut down boost etc….

O.E.M. manufactured ECU’s – The ECU’s are built by an O.E. manufacturer, so all ecu are 100% tested for vibration, temperature, loading etc… BEFORE you install them into your vehicle. Pro EFI ECU’s are as reliable as the factory units you take out. No more being stranded on the side of the road, or waiting weeks or months to get and issue repaired with the confidence of rolling the dice.

Drive by wire capability!!

Nitrous control:

Up to 4 stages!!

Control by speed, time, gear etc.....

Just enter the number of jets, jet size and target a/f and it does the rest!!

Add a nitrous bottle pressure sensor and it adjusts accordingly to pressure!!

Unlike other ECU's, you can target different a/fs for Nitrous with this unit in closed loop, or open loop, since the computer is based soley on V.E. it doesn't rely on the O2 sensor for hitting the desired a/f ratio. It does this based upon volumetric efficiency and desired equivelency ratio. Therefore there is less work for the O2 to do in closed loop, eliminating the chance for lean spikes typical of running nitrous!!!!

Fuel pressure compensation:

With the simple addition of a fuel pressure sensor, the computer will monitor and compensate for various fuel pressure. Lets say that you have a pump that is tired and your fuel pressure is not rising 1-1 any more. The computer will know and add neccessary fuel. Also if the pressure really gets unstable causing the computer to add too much pulse width, it will trigger a check engine light. It can also be set to initiate fuel cut, turn off the boost control, shut off NOS and lower the rev limiter. These safe guards can be triggered by the fuel pressure alone, by O2 activity or a number of other things!!

Boost Control Strategies:

Will be able to utilize dual solenoids to control pressure to both the top and bottom ports on any wastegate. This will give you VERY accurate control!!

Will be able to control boost by speed.

Will be able to control boost by time. Therefore if you spin the tires, and the vehicle speed sensor puts the boost map into a zone for higher boost.... the computer will know that it is wrong and hold the boost down until a certain amount of time.

Will control boost based on traction control. Traction control will be based on wheel speed differential!!

This computer will also know what gear you are in by simply entering gear ratios from the service manual, rear end ratio and tire size!!

Lean condition safety features:

In the case of a lean condition under certain circumstances (IE load, time etc) the computer can be programmed to shut down nitrous, lower boost, initiate fuel cut, initiate a rev limiter for a programmed duration of time until safe conditions return. This can also then be programmed to throw a code and activate the check engine light.

Misfire detection:

No more guessing if you have a misfire. This computer will tell you which cylinder and how often it misfires!! Think about how valuable this will be!! You will know instantly when it is time for new plugs.... or a coil pack is going bad....etc!!

20 channel thermocouple capability:

Yep..... 20 channel!! Put one in every runner..... downpipe..... anywhere you can think of!! This is critical in tuning an engine to run exactly the same on every cylinder!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris@SP
We are pleased to announce the pricing of the ProEFI EMS for the 350z. Another Engine Management option for the VQ Platform! There is another thread that discusses the ProEFI, however wanted to start a thread that focused on the pricing.

Here is the other thread in regards to functionality
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/300664-new-ems-for-350z.html

There will be 2 version of the ProEFI

-Level I works like the AEM, or FCON in that it piggybacks the factory ecu
and will not control DBW.

-Level II unit will control EVERYTHING. (This unit is not set to be released
until early 08.

Price for Level I ProEFI
$2,250

Includes:
ProEFI Computer
MAP Sensor (3.5, 5, or 7bar)
Wideband O2 Sensor with Gauge
Wire harness to jump from the factory ECU to the ProEFI unit.

This unit has adaptive capbilities, meaning that it learns and adjusts on the fly. We're very excited about this and look forward to supporting the 350z aftermarket with it.

Units will be shipping within approx 2 weeks.

Post any questions here in the thread or feel free to email Larry and I at
sales@spracingonline.com

Thanks
Chris
...Very interested..
Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Thanks again,

-George
GT Motorsports

I am 100% confident. This computer utilizes the latest knock detection strategies available (same as OEM). The key to this is two things. First it looks for a certain frequency on the sensor determined by your engine dimensions. Secondly and most importantly it looks for knock at the correct times. By this I mean there is only a very small window of opportunity for a cylinder to knock on its compression stroke. The computer monitors the sensor only during this time period and if knock is present it knows exactly which cylinder knocked and will retard that cylinder. By utilizing these strategies the computer can filter out what is knock and what is loose piston noise, open wastegate noise etc.

Hope this helps!!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I am 100% confident. This computer utilizes the latest knock detection strategies available (same as OEM). The key to this is two things. First it looks for a certain frequency on the sensor determined by your engine dimensions. Secondly and most importantly it looks for knock at the correct times. By this I mean there is only a very small window of opportunity for a cylinder to knock on its compression stroke. The computer monitors the sensor only during this time period and if knock is present it knows exactly which cylinder knocked and will retard that cylinder. By utilizing these strategies the computer can filter out what is knock and what is loose piston noise, open wastegate noise etc.

Hope this helps!!
Very true, good info Larry..
Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Hope this helps!!

WOW... thats bad ***....sounds better than the hks knock amp that uses the stock sensor(unless i am mistaken), which itself is really good anyways since nissan uses it for over thousands of production cars no problem...pro efi should be more high end OEM like detection.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 PM
BabyZiLLa

This is great.. Finally where getting some real competition in the EMS market for the VQ.

At the end of the day, its not the equipment its the tuner.. But giving your tuner all the tools he can possibly need is definately a big help..

The guage is slick too. I like it alot. I actually think the multi function guage is what will stear me towards this over the Haltech.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:27 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hope this helps!!
That sounds really good, I am still curious has to how the ProEFI will determine what is true knock apart phantom knock, and other associated engine noises like piston slap, as you mentioned.

Also this will have the ability to determine which cylinder is knock, and retard only that cylinder? That is an awesome feature! How does it know which cylinder is knocking?

Since a knock sensor is basically just a microphone, it is hard for me to accept the fact that a ECU will be able to determine knock so precisely as to be able to run maximum timing for best torque. This is why high end OEMs are now using ION Sensing to do what you are describing (i.e. BMW M5) since a simple knock sensor is not accurate enough.

As far as the A/F feedback, I noticed that it will have a failsafe incase there is a sensor code or fault that will disable the learning and closed loop. That is awesome BTW, but what happens if a sensor is mis calibrated by the end user, or if a sensor becomes miscalibrated over time, and there are no fault codes, then wouldn't the ECU be tuning a A/F off of a false reading?

If this ECU can do all it suppose to reliabily its truly going to be awesome!

P.S. These are genuine questions and do not want them to be interpreted as anything else, I know it is hard to tell someones tone via the internet, hence this msg.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 PM
warmmilk

can u guys post a pic of the ecu itself. i know is not important to the way it functions or what it can do, but i'm just curious as to what it looks like
Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
accordfreak

Here are just a few of the reasons why you should use this unit:
wow! are all these features in the stage 1????????? I really like the safety features!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Silver03z

Would be interested in a g/z meet in the midwest. Where would you think you would have it? Keep us up dated.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Can this ecu control Meth like the fcon??
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 AM
IIQuickSilverII

more cool info from supra forums

Another cool feature we are going to implement is full flex fuel capability, using OEM flex fuel sensors. What this means for you is your car can adjust fuel, timing, and boost based upon the mix of ethanol vs pump gas in your tank on the fly. No more worries about the actual blend of E70, E85 or E98 vs pump in your tank. Just fill it up and go!

This will be a great feature to have built in, as it was previously only available to guys running Motec's after doing some custom mapping.

I had heard there was capability in the AEM to do such a thing with the OEM sensor that GM uses on the flex fuel vehicles? Maybe I'm thinking of the Megasquirt..

I think you are thinking of Megasquirt, as someone wrote code for that system (though I have not used it), which performs a simple fuel/timing trim. With this, it is taking it to a new level as we are talking about fuel, spark AND boost trims depending on the level of ethanol in your tank. Imagine filling up with E98 and your boost automatically goes to 30psi. Then you go on a drive, no E98 is available so you fill with 91 octane. Without touching anything, your boost/timing lowers to match the blend in your tank.

The Dimension for the Pro128 is 9.5 x 7.5 x 1.25. The Pro48 is 5.75 x 6 x .5 inches, very small, yet very powerful. One is lv2 and other lv 1
Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 AM
BabyZiLLa

This thing sounds too good to be true.. With so many features i just hope they nail it and don't get caught up in quantitiy over quality.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Before I knew anything about tuning(still dont know anything) and what not I always assumed the EMS adjusted the fuel and timing map based on real time information(closed loop)...not a predetermined map. This system looks great!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:43 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
This thing sounds too good to be true.. With so many features i just hope they nail it and don't get caught up in quantitiy over quality.

Man no kidding!

Fcon's are going to be up for sale more often in the classifieds
Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 PM
1ZweetZ

That sounds really good, I am still curious has to how the ProEFI will determine what is true knock apart phantom knock, and other associated engine noises like piston slap, as you mentioned.

Also this will have the ability to determine which cylinder is knock, and retard only that cylinder? That is an awesome feature! How does it know which cylinder is knocking?

Since a knock sensor is basically just a microphone, it is hard for me to accept the fact that a ECU will be able to determine knock so precisely as to be able to run maximum timing for best torque. This is why high end OEMs are now using ION Sensing to do what you are describing (i.e. BMW M5) since a simple knock sensor is not accurate enough.

As far as the A/F feedback, I noticed that it will have a failsafe incase there is a sensor code or fault that will disable the learning and closed loop. That is awesome BTW, but what happens if a sensor is mis calibrated by the end user, or if a sensor becomes miscalibrated over time, and there are no fault codes, then wouldn't the ECU be tuning a A/F off of a false reading?

If this ECU can do all it suppose to reliabily its truly going to be awesome!

P.S. These are genuine questions and do not want them to be interpreted as anything else, I know it is hard to tell someones tone via the internet, hence this msg.

-George
GT Motorsports
He already stated that it looks at a specific frequency. This means it knows what knock 'Sounds' like. Piston slap, valvetrain knows...etc.. have a different frequency than does knock.

As for the O2 sensor question, I remember reading that it monitors the response of the o2 sensor, and this determines whether or not the o2 is working properly, if the response time slowes or stops, then the fault is triggered turning off the adaptive learning and feedback control. Ofcouse setting the CEL as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM
taurran

It seems to me that all three of the current standalone EMS's made specifically for the 350z are about the same price when all is said and done, so it's strictly a question of features and peformance.

Pardon my if I missed somehting, but have there been pictures of the user interface for the tuning software utilized by the Pro EFI? I'm interested in seeing how it stacks up to the Haltech software, as it looks awesomely robust.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
IIQuickSilverII

^^ Remember this selfs tunes based on VE...its not like other ems
Some info regarding your question already posted in supra forums

Originally Posted by Sound Performance
The reason there have been no screen shots posted is because the software will look nothing like that to the end user. The dealer is the only one that will get the current software. So why post shots of something you will never see anyway??? The standard user interface will not require the use of a laptop at all! How about the use of a palm or CE device to make adjustments? Your smart phone??? You aren't going to need to tune this ecu in the conventional way... remember it is adaptive. Once the targets are set (afr, idle, boost, etc....) the computer will constantly be making any needed adjustments. The only things the end user will ever really need to do is maybe select between a pump gas and race gas setting, boost setting, traction control sensitivity or slip amount, nitrous jetting changes... things like that. 90% of the customers I install an ecu on never WANT to ever touch it, they usually have to at some point becuase their are variables we can't always duplicate in the day or two tuning time we have, let alone extreme weather temperature swings. This system automatically compensates for those changes and automatically trims the appropriate tables...no mistakes to be made either accidentally or through a lack of understanding of what that table/option is used for. Make sense?

Remember the days when you had to get up off the couch to go change the channel on the t.v. or to turn up the volume? How about having to stand by the wall the phone was mounted on to talk... no cordless phones either. Well you probably don't because your all too young! Technology changes, and gone are the days of changing the dial at the t.v., or having to be connected to the wall through the phone line. Now adaptive AFTERMARKET computers have arrived.. no more driving around with a laptop connected to trim things here and there. It's the next generation in engine management!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ProEFI Release Date and Pricing!