Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
love the wheels craig, we still need to get it back and get rid of those RC injectors.

a simple retune after the 2.5 inch pipes and we should be golden!!

see ya soon...
No doubt. I need to contact you to set up a date once I get the pipe issue sorted out. The car's definitely going to need a tune.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 AM
DanielW
Banned

that thing is a BOV?!?!?! thats insane. car looks sick
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 AM
maximumsportZ

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
What is that big round object to the right side of the intercooler?
Thats his train horn setup.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Thats his train horn setup.
hahaha.... you laugh now...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 AM
DanielW
Banned

you planning on going with an EBC anytime soon?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

larrys car makes the same sort of noise too. i think the solid motor mounts arent helping the situation with it. its just a low rpm noise that some motors do and others dont even when you build them the same way. we backed the tune down for sure when we gave it to you. you said you just wanted the car and we just gave it to you.

the car is not detonating, its those god damn injectors. i tried to tell you this a 100 times but you have some sort of issue figuring out what i meant.

i dont know if it is the injectors or some sort of problem with the utec keeping up with the 750s at higher boost levels but it is one of them.

Originally Posted by taurran
Thanks again guys. And yep, after all this time, the car is back in the shop right now getting the exhaust put on. So, I'm waiting for work to be done on it again. I went in and checked it out yesterday, and I must say that it looks amazing. If anyone in the Tampa area is looking for a high quality custom exhaust I can refer you to a good fabricator.

Also, as I stated before the crossover pipes are still the same ones from the original turbonetics kit. I was surprsied to find this when I went in to get an estimate on the custom exhaust. I'm actually in the process of discussing the upgraded design for those with the fabricators. It should be a pretty simple process as the up-pipe itself was alrady upgraded and has a v-band to take it apart. Hopefully this will be done by next week.

And, to be honest and totally candid, after driving the car for a week I'm not really happy where its at. As I said before, it's still quite a way from actually being finished so keep that in mind.

The dyno graph you saw posted in my other thread may be a little misleading. I put it on a dynojet here in Tampa on Saturday and it didn't make nearly the power I had expected. I'm not sure what changed between when the car made big power at PF and how it's running now, but I plan to remedy it by finishing up the piping changes and getting it retuned. I also can swear the thing is detonating on pump gas at high boost. Needless to say I won't be pushing it until I get it fixed. Don't take this as a rant, just as the honest state of it since being quiet about issues in the past hasn't really helped matters.

I'm also a bit curious as to a sound the motor is still making. I've brought it up on here before, but it sounds like a metallic sort of knocking sound that a diesel motor makes. It seems to be coming from the motor. I'm a bit confused as I originally thought it was a cam chain tensioner that was fixed at PF, but it seems to be making the same noise now. I want to see if Chris can give me a second opinion on it in comparison to his car as he has the same cams as I do. I'm also not sure if it's "piston slap" as I've never experienced it before.

Let me know if you all have any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Alfreds Z

Very clean, I love it
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought you were going with gold wheels???

Nice setup.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 AM
taurran

larrys car makes the same sort of noise too. i think the solid motor mounts arent helping the situation with it. its just a low rpm noise that some motors do and others dont even when you build them the same way. we backed the tune down for sure when we gave it to you. you said you just wanted the car and we just gave it to you.

the car is not detonating, its those god damn injectors. i tried to tell you this a 100 times but you have some sort of issue figuring out what i meant.

i dont know if it is the injectors or some sort of problem with the utec keeping up with the 750s at higher boost levels but it is one of them.
I'm trying to keep it professional and I want to keep this positive. I hope everyone understands, but I feel anything I say on my own behalf will risk pissing someone off. So far I've really kept to myself about my worries with the car and I'd rather focus on fixing things at this point.

I am still worried about that sound the motor is making. "Some motors just sound that way" doesn't really put my mind at ease, if you know what I mean... I'd like to find the exact source of it. It only seems to make it under load so I'd prefer to put it on a dyno and do some listening around. I'll have to try it sometime. It could be anything from simple noisy cams to a bad valve or rod bearing. I'm not saying which but the prospects kind of worry me.

The car is "pinging" no matter which way you look at it. I've heard it before on my old setup when the boost spiked. The sound is unmistakable like someone tossing bb's against the firewall. The tuner that dynod it on Saturday even mentioned it before I said anything.

I know you said the stuttering and unevenness on the top end is the injector pulse timing. If that would cause pinging then I'd definitely be interested in swapping the injectors out and trying something new. The car is definitely able to deliver enough fuel to keep the AFR's within safe levels, unless it's an issue with one injector inparticular, which could be the case.

The car made about 80whp less @ 18psi on the dynojet here in Tampa than it did in Orlando. The only possible explanation I could come up with was running pump gas and a lot less timing. This tells me there's still a bottleneck in the system (we know exactly where) that needs to be fixed. The turbo is still bottlenecked and making way less on boost alone than it should. IMO this is where I need to focus on before worrying about injectors, and I don't want to have to make power using race gas and ignition timing. Hence, upgrading the piping first.

edit: I meant to say "race gas"

Last edited by taurran; 01-23-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by DanielW
you planning on going with an EBC anytime soon?
I have a Blitz SBC that I've been using for years now. It works well enough.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 AM
EnjukuBG
Sponsor
Enjuku Racing

we backed the tune down for sure when we gave it to you.
The car made about 80whp less @ 18psi on the dynojet here in Tampa than it did in Orlando. The only possible explanation I could come up with was running pump gas and a lot less timing.

Just pointing that out. Cant wait for the retuned results with new injectors(?) and the bigger piping. Love your car brotha
Old 01-23-2008, 07:43 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

just as a quick check, when you removed the piping to "clean up" some of the welds and paint it...you are sure you have no boost leaks right?...
i am sure you feel its really straight forward remove/install part but you checked that right?...just in case

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 01-23-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

I'm trying to keep it professional and I want to keep this positive. I hope everyone understands, but I feel anything I say on my own behalf will risk pissing someone off. So far I've really kept to myself about my worries with the car and I'd rather focus on fixing things at this point.

I am still worried about that sound the motor is making. "Some motors just sound that way" doesn't really put my mind at ease, if you know what I mean... I'd like to find the exact source of it. It only seems to make it under load so I'd prefer to put it on a dyno and do some listening around. I'll have to try it sometime. It could be anything from simple noisy cams to a bad valve or rod bearing. I'm not saying which but the prospects kind of worry me.

The car is "pinging" no matter which way you look at it. I've heard it before on my old setup when the boost spiked. The sound is unmistakable like someone tossing bb's against the firewall. The tuner that dynod it on Saturday even mentioned it before I said anything.

I know you said the stuttering and unevenness on the top end is the injector pulse timing. If that would cause pinging then I'd definitely be interested in swapping the injectors out and trying something new. The car is definitely able to deliver enough fuel to keep the AFR's within safe levels, unless it's an issue with one injector inparticular, which could be the case.

The car made about 80whp less @ 18psi on the dynojet here in Tampa than it did in Orlando. The only possible explanation I could come up with was running pump gas and a lot less timing. This tells me there's still a bottleneck in the system (we know exactly where) that needs to be fixed. The turbo is still bottlenecked and making way less on boost alone than it should. IMO this is where I need to focus on before worrying about injectors, and I don't want to have to make power using pump gas and ignition timing. Hence, upgrading the piping first.
sorry to hear craig
Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Craig.. let me honestly say i had no intension of posting in your thread.. or posting anything to you..

HOWEVER of course as you know nothing is a secret around here.. Julian and i were discussing your 'situation' and he had some ideas and theories that he came up with since he has had a simular situation prior... its really up to you to take the advice, think it over, use it.. or ignore it.. at any point in time you want me to remove/edit my post..i will do so at your request based on respect for your thread..

anyway.. here goes

Originally Posted by Julian
This ISSUE we had was the cam gear on the crank shaft, had some play in it. Car would make good power until we raised the boost, then it would fall flat on its face after 5800rpms.

The cam gear will eventually break free of the keyway a bit and cause the valves to start touching the piston tops.....Then he is ****ed..

It idle it sounded like a loud injector "TICK"

As far as the injectors, unless one is failing I doubt it is an issue with them.I have tuned UTECS with 750cc's on 80% of our builds.The only issue we have had was hard starts when warm. The choppy graph maybe due to loss of spark,fuel or detonation.
again.. this post is not intended to offend anyone.. or step on anyone's toes.. just a conversation that maybe beneficial..

i will await your response for edit or deletion..

FYI.. we still ain't cool
Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A faulty injector could cause a cylinder to run lean and your wideband afr might not catch it. I would definitely swap those out if there is any concern about that - send them back to RC and they'll flow test it for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:59 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
Craig.. let me honestly say i had no intension of posting in your thread.. or posting anything to you..

HOWEVER of course as you know nothing is a secret around here.. Julian and i were discussing your 'situation' and he had some ideas and theories that he came up with since he has had a simular situation prior... its really up to you to take the advice, think it over, use it.. or ignore it.. at any point in time you want me to remove/edit my post..i will do so at your request based on respect for your thread..

anyway.. here goes

again.. this post is not intended to offend anyone.. or step on anyone's toes.. just a conversation that maybe beneficial..

good info as always doug. I would def listen to that a lil bit Craig. GL man
Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

with all the disclaimers attached to the post he should not consider that opinion the wrong way..
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Black Guy
Just pointing that out. Cant wait for the retuned results with new injectors(?) and the bigger piping. Love your car brotha
Thanks man. Yeah, I've definitely considered that and realize timing was backed down. I think the main reason was it was running timing only suitable for race gas. 18psi should definitely be making a lot more power even with a conservative tune. If anything we've got multiple problems at work, ranging from piping, to the wastegate, the injectors, to whatever the noise in the motor is.

My goal is still 600whp on pump gas. Until I make that, or very close to it, I won't really claim "success".

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
just as a quick check, when you removed the piping to "clean up" some of the welds and paint it...you are sure you have no boost leaks right?...
i am sure you feel its really straight forward remove/install part but you checked that right?...just in case
Yep, sure of that. When I sanded down the welds I didn't take them all the way flush since I had no idea if they went all the way through. You can see them on the pics. The car sits at -18hg which is normal for a low compression VQ. The car starts right up and idles well, no throttle required. It also makes full boost with no issues.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by doug

anyway.. here goes

Thanks Doug, I definitely will give you and Julian respect for this post. I appreciate the honest input no matter how reluctant it may be.

I'll definitely keep it in mind and hope it's not the case.

One thing... the noise is actually more of a metalling "tapping" than a "tick". It actually sounds like someone tapping their finger on a hollow piece of stainless steel pipe. I have an older video I'll try to post tonight where you can hear it. The video was from when I had the quiet exhaust on the car so its easier to hear. The noise sounds the same.

Again, I hope what he says isn't the issue because I really dread having to do anything that involves touching the motor.

Thanks to Julian for giving some feedback. I'll admit that when he really puts his mind to it he can be nice and helpful...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by rcdash
A faulty injector could cause a cylinder to run lean and your wideband afr might not catch it. I would definitely swap those out if there is any concern about that - send them back to RC and they'll flow test it for you.
Yep, I have been considering this. Any idea of the turnaround time on this?

Quick Reply: taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST