Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Yep. Here's the video. This is from when the queiter exhaust was on it. I'm glad I got this because with the loud exhaust now it would be a lot harder to hear.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AdMez8q8LxU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AdMez8q8LxU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So... is anyone stumped by the sound in this video?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
EnjukuBG
Sponsor
Enjuku Racing

Taurran Already Has Twins lol
i never read that before.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 01-24-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Zilvia

So... is anyone stumped by the sound in this video?

i couldn't really hear any thing.

Have you tried revving it with the hood open. w/ the the throttle.

maybe u can find out where the tap is coming from.

if it sounds like a tapping sound, BBs against a wall, like you said earlier. Then you might have a loose or bent valve. B/c that when my KA dropped a valve. It made this really loud tapping sound once it got past 2k, and at constant throttle you could't hear it as much, but giving it gas you could hear it completely.

just another possibilty, which i really hope isnt the case.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:45 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zilvia
i couldn't really hear any thing.

Have you tried revving it with the hood open. w/ the the throttle.

maybe u can find out where the tap is coming from.

if it sounds like a tapping sound, BBs against a wall, like you said earlier. Then you might have a loose or bent valve. B/c that when my KA dropped a valve. It made this really loud tapping sound once it got past 2k, and at constant throttle you could't hear it as much, but giving it gas you could hear it completely.

just another possibilty, which i really hope isnt the case.
You're thinking of two different sounds. You can hear the metallic tapping in that, which is based on RPMS. It makes it if revd but its really quiet. It makes it louder while the motor is under load and in gear, so hard to hear under the hood. We traced it to the motor somewhere in the vicinity of the heads when Jayson and I were listening around on the motor.

The "BB's against the firewall" was the pinging noise I heard at high boost.

It doesn't really sound like valve tapping... but I guess I could be wrong if it's different than I'm used to. I own a KA24 too which has noisy valves.

And no, that's my old Fuji exhaust. The new 3" dual tipped exhaust should be finished tomorrow night.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You're thinking of two different sounds. You can hear the metallic tapping in that, which is based on RPMS. It makes it if revd but its really quiet. It makes it louder while the motor is under load and in gear, so hard to hear under the hood. We traced it to the motor somewhere in the vicinity of the heads when Jayson and I were listening around on the motor.

The "BB's against the firewall" was the pinging noise I heard at high boost.

It doesn't really sound like valve tapping... but I guess I could be wrong if it's different than I'm used to. I own a KA24 too which has noisy valves.

And no, that's my old Fuji exhaust. The new 3" dual tipped exhaust should be finished tomorrow night.
Im also stumped by sound. Couldnt hear the noise that clear. Also please post piks of exhaust and def a sound clip craig
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
diwun67

Kinda sounds like it has a diesel sound to it...but I can't tell what it is
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by diwun67
Kinda sounds like it has a diesel sound to it...but I can't tell what it is
Yeah, that's what I called it.. sounds like a diesel truck kinda.

On another note, I just went by the exhaust fab shop to check out the progress, and WOW... it looks amazing. It only had one tip on but I can already tell its going to end up being absolutely sick...

The exhaust will be ready to roll tomorrow. I'll get some pics and hopefully some sound.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Zexy

Diesel truck sound is piston slap.. I never heard of diesel truck sound having to do with anythinga bad motor Hope you get it sorted out craig. Built motors are usually noisier depending on the piston to wall clearance.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Zilvia

yea i think i was mixing up all the things you are saying. either way i hoe you guys get it solved.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is totally off topic but I like the new spoiler. Didn't you have the INGS before? Car looks good and the 18s are awesome, IMO would look better in gloss black but it's your car, not mine
Old 01-25-2008, 04:57 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zexy
Diesel truck sound is piston slap.. I never heard of diesel truck sound having to do with anythinga bad motor Hope you get it sorted out craig. Built motors are usually noisier depending on the piston to wall clearance.
Ugh... Piston slap would be something that would be worse when the car is cold, correct? I'll have to check.

My car does still smoke a bit. I know that Ryan was telling me it was smoking while under boost before. I'm fairly certain its not the turbo as this is the 3rd turbo that's been in the car, and each has been built with brand new seals. There's also the case of the PCV that's hanging open since it has no intake pipe before the turbo (need to fix this soon). I'm going to keep an ear out if the noise changes after the car heats up.

I think that it's interesting that Jeremy said that Larry's car made the same noise, and interestingly enough his car was smoking and seemed to have blowby issues. I'm wondering if my car has the same issue but I'm hearing its a non-issue? Larry, what came of this?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
After putting my ear to the engine I was sold on the cam tensioner being the culprit, but having that piece replaced and the noise continuing, I am way out of my league and can't say what it may or may not be.
Right. For all I know it could be anything. I think it's something an experienced engine builder would have to diagnose in person. Woohoo...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

I think that it's interesting that Jeremy said that Larry's car made the same noise, and interestingly enough his car was smoking and seemed to have blowby issues. I'm wondering if my car has the same issue but I'm hearing its a non-issue? Larry, what came of this?

please dont twist things around

i said that larrys car sounds like this. there is NO smoke and NO blowby issues with his car.

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 01-25-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

please remember that you are the one who bought used RC750s and a used Utec for this build i have told you since day one that i think something is wrong with the injectors.

it all comes down to this, you need to step up and upgrade some things on your car. you cant have the fastest car without the right equipment.

Last edited by Audible Mayhem; 01-25-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
please dont twist things around

i said that larrys car sounds like this. there is NO smoke and NO blowby issues with his car.
Right. The intention was never to twist. I was referring to whatever was going on before with his car which I only have half the info on. Larry's car should be running right now after all the work put into it.

I'm going to have to try a few things on my car. There could be half a dozen small things that contribute to smoke that I can fix easily. First things first is to get it back from the exhaust shop so I can dick around with it some.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 AM
drap660

No disrespect to anyone, but Taurran why dont you just go with Jeremy's suggestions. Afterall he did build your car and knows better than anyone what the problem could be. I build atv's on the side and know what its like working with used parts that might have issues. Why not go with Jeremy's idea and put it in his hands. I know the build took forever and maybe things didnt go exactly the way you wanted but I think it would be in your best interest to let him finish it off. If you supply him with a new EMS and a set of new injectors then he would have to figure this out, because everything else came from him. Once again no disrespect to anyone...

Quick Reply: taurran : "Testing new waters" with the Turbonetics ST