Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Performance Factory: Our tune came with a extra package!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Danny@BC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car feels and runs great, thumbs up to all the guys involved in putting this car together
Old 01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem

Am i glad i tuned it?? Yes, i learned that the shops like ourselves that insist on doing stuff like L19 headstuds and HKS headgaskets ect are over protecting the motors and will run for a long time.

the end

let me explain what i meant. yes i am glad to tune the car because i see now that Real Shops like GTM,IP, FP, and myself that take the much needed extra precautions of doing things the right way using the proper parts like HKS headgaskets, L19 headstuds, ect. are protecting the car for much greater levels than we are pushing them to. this is the right way of doing them and i cant believe that this car made it to the levels it did with the equipment used. 600whp on C16 on a dynojet is probably almost possible on a stock motor. 600whp beat up on a track is not.

sorry for the misunderstanding, we try to do 100% of everything we do, the right way. no shortcuts and no corners cut. i have respect for the few shops on here that do everything the right way even though its not the cheapest route.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

doing it "the right way" doesn't mean overkill
Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

The builder is just as important as the build components.

-Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are your thoughts on the OEM bolts being stronger than the standard ARP studs (both main and head)? I have hear that several of the Japanese car companies use alloys that are stronger than ARP's standard material.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well once you have blown out a cometic or stock headgasket and have to pull out a whole motor and redo it, you wont think it is over kill.

if you think about it, until everyone is blowing out HKS headgaskets, then we are not pushing it to its limits.

not even a debate for the 3xx dollars they cost.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well once you have blown out a cometic or stock headgasket and have to pull out a whole motor and redo it, you wont think it is over kill.

good point

looking forward to seeing some vid. of the car on the track, nice looking ride
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM
iknowitsfast

My god, what an impressive dyno sheet, congrats man!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Pete@BC

Hey everyone thanks for all the comments. It has been a pita to get this underway. It still has some needed parts to get this on a real track though. Changing the brakes down to 8pot instead of the 12pot, 18's, lsd, cage and a few other things. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on whats going on with the car.

Now I was hoping this wasn't gonna head down to the same as last thread. Having the thread closed just makes for everyone not being able to keep updated on whats going on. I hear so many negative vibes hear on the forum about this motor. I want to get a few things straight, because I seen alligations that are way out of line.

I have no one to blame about this whole mess but myself first off. I left the door wide opened to recieve anything. I made no specifications of what I wanted done to this motor and trusted RA to provide what I needed. If I would have told them build the motor to these specs using these parts I am sure that is what I would have recieved. As I did not do this, I trusted that this would be done as any other builder would do. When Sharif called and told me the information he saw, I made some calls and after all we talked. I decided to allow Scott the opportunity to prove his motor. That is all that I have done. The other is try to keep everyone informed on the progress. I am not taking sides, only giving the man the opportunity to prove himself. I am sure everyone should agree that is fair. If I would have requested certain parts and they weren't there this would be a total different post.

Now do I have my doubts? I have had my doubts. Even on a smaller scale doing hondas in my past, we always use arp studs and non oem gaskets. The point is I believe the guy deserves the opportunity. The previous thread hurt his reputation and credibility. All due to theory. Unfortunately for me, my car is going to be the 3rd party guinea pig sort to say.

Scott understands, and if he does not let me re-emphasize Scott. I will not hide any information that comes from this. BC will not do any coverups. In all honest, I have the car put at 15lbs boost and yes I do play on it. But all those that are at this power level will back me when I say. Having 15lbs on can hurt the motor, but honestly how long and often are you boosting this on the street. If this motor were to fail, it will be when scott is sitting behind the wheel time attacking it. All this will be in public eye. Accusations that parts have been changed are very strong accusations. The opportunity to have the bolts and gaskets to be changed at the right time were offered to us by Forged. I decided against it to allow RA to prove themselves right or wrong.

Hopefully this will bring to light what I was not able to in the last thread before it was closed.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

if you think about it, until everyone is blowing out HKS headgaskets, then we are not pushing it to its limits.

not even a debate for the 3xx dollars they cost.
That really is too true. When you consider the $20XXX one could easily spend on building an engine with a TT kit, a $300 charge is a drop in the bucket.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Pete@BC

So, let me go over a few scares I've had as well.

As Jeremy stated previous, he was somewhat skeptical about it. On the dyno I think he got about as scared as me. When he was around the 6lb levels, I was outside having a cig when a odd noise from the car came about. As I turned around and looked, nothing but white smoke out the back end. The best thing I did was toss that cig before walking back in. Luckly for all of us actually. One of the injectors stuck and the white smoke was actually fuel in the air.

2nd scare came today. Sitting at my lunch spot, I had the car idling and smelled coolant. My steering wheel was turned in a position which was covering the temp gauge. As I peeked over, it was going into Hot. I turned it off and nothing but coolant spewing out the reservior. Luckly I was 2 blocks from the shop. I let it cool down completely while I ate my lunch. Got in and drove it back. Looking over everything, we found the source of the problem. The fuse harness was melted completely to the fans and everyone knows. No fans = bad situation.

Oh actually one other thing. The power steering was squealing the other day. Further searching, we saw the rubber hose from the power steering reservior was binded from the greddy intake. As the temps get hotter in the engine bay, some of the hoses become soft. This help attribute to the hose kinking and not allowing fluid into the pump. I'll take some shots of that and post them also.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Pete@BC

I have a few dyno vids. I have never put videos up, so I'm getting some help to do that this week.

Heres some pics of the brake kit, which will be up for sale shortly (hint hint make offers) lol

Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't afford that brake kit if I sold my car

I have to say, your posts are exactly what I hoped to see out of this situation. no one covering for anything, but simply allowing it to play out without making a huge deal about it.

I sincerly hope you have ZERO problems... and sell me the brake kit for 1k. no? you sure? lol
Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Mad A

Pete, I just wanted to say thank you for that post. I think that goes a long way in clearing things up for members of the board just jumping into the FI world and running into this thread and getting scared, lol. You were fair and explained the situation exactly as it happened, clearing up any misconceptions without taking anyone's side.

I learned a lesson from your experience, and that is to be very clear what I order when I get to doing my build, to avoid any confusion or drama. I guess now we'll all just wait and see what happens. Personally, I have purchased a TT kit from Scott and found him to be very helpful and true to his word in all his dealings with me. Good luck with your car! It looks great Please keep us updated on how it does.

Originally Posted by Pete@BC
Hey everyone thanks for all the comments. It has been a pita to get this underway. It still has some needed parts to get this on a real track though. Changing the brakes down to 8pot instead of the 12pot, 18's, lsd, cage and a few other things. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on whats going on with the car.

Now I was hoping this wasn't gonna head down to the same as last thread. Having the thread closed just makes for everyone not being able to keep updated on whats going on. I hear so many negative vibes hear on the forum about this motor. I want to get a few things straight, because I seen alligations that are way out of line.

I have no one to blame about this whole mess but myself first off. I left the door wide opened to recieve anything. I made no specifications of what I wanted done to this motor and trusted RA to provide what I needed. If I would have told them build the motor to these specs using these parts I am sure that is what I would have recieved. As I did not do this, I trusted that this would be done as any other builder would do. When Sharif called and told me the information he saw, I made some calls and after all we talked. I decided to allow Scott the opportunity to prove his motor. That is all that I have done. The other is try to keep everyone informed on the progress. I am not taking sides, only giving the man the opportunity to prove himself. I am sure everyone should agree that is fair. If I would have requested certain parts and they weren't there this would be a total different post.

Now do I have my doubts? I have had my doubts. Even on a smaller scale doing hondas in my past, we always use arp studs and non oem gaskets. The point is I believe the guy deserves the opportunity. The previous thread hurt his reputation and credibility. All due to theory. Unfortunately for me, my car is going to be the 3rd party guinea pig sort to say.

Scott understands, and if he does not let me re-emphasize Scott. I will not hide any information that comes from this. BC will not do any coverups. In all honest, I have the car put at 15lbs boost and yes I do play on it. But all those that are at this power level will back me when I say. Having 15lbs on can hurt the motor, but honestly how long and often are you boosting this on the street. If this motor were to fail, it will be when scott is sitting behind the wheel time attacking it. All this will be in public eye. Accusations that parts have been changed are very strong accusations. The opportunity to have the bolts and gaskets to be changed at the right time were offered to us by Forged. I decided against it to allow RA to prove themselves right or wrong.

Hopefully this will bring to light what I was not able to in the last thread before it was closed.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny@BC
the car feels and runs great, thumbs up to all the guys involved in putting this car together
+1 all the guys working together on the car should be WORKING TOGETHER for the end benefit of the customer and his satisfaction. not individually to gain more business for their own shops. every shop will always have different ways of doing things and will shoot down other shops ways they do things. happens in nearly any biz. this has become one of the most controversial cars on this forum ever, and one that 3 of the forums top shops each had their hand in it!! coincidence, or vendors bickering about who is best? the car biz is the most cutthroat biz i have ever seen and my reason for backing away from it and getting back to creating my own stuff in my own shop for my own car! atleast some of the players in helping the controversies on this site are on a temp or permanent vacation, lol.

congrats on the great car pete!! kinda curious what you want for those brakes? winner power has some wicked sick stuff, and those 12 piston fronts are definately fitting the bill
Old 01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Pete@BC

Very nicely put Pete!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 AM
98intrigue

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Very nicely put Pete!
+1!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:22 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by 98intrigue
+1!
I am anxious to get going on the Time Attack phase of this car, make some more developemental strides, and have fun making some new videos as well. This year is going to be a great year for time attacks, and this car too I'm sure....going to be a busy year.

Pete, can't wait to drive your beautiful G, and am eager to see how well it will all come together.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:57 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

correct me if I am wrong, but Time Attack is kind of like the drag racing of the Road Race world, right? You are trying to complete a single lap in the fastest time possible, right? It's not about repeatablility, just make it run as fast as possible for one lap? Do you go from a standing start or a flying start? If it is a standing start, "cutting a good light" and getting some mean "60 foot times" would help you out, huh? Kind of funny to think about drag racing aspects in a road race, but if you are fighting for tenths of seconds, everything helps.

Do they have any of these races televised? I'm interesting in seeing this. It sounds alot more promissing than drifting.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
correct me if I am wrong, but Time Attack is kind of like the drag racing of the Road Race world, right? You are trying to complete a single lap in the fastest time possible, right? It's not about repeatablility, just make it run as fast as possible for one lap? Do you go from a standing start or a flying start? If it is a standing start, "cutting a good light" and getting some mean "60 foot times" would help you out, huh? Kind of funny to think about drag racing aspects in a road race, but if you are fighting for tenths of seconds, everything helps.

Do they have any of these races televised? I'm interesting in seeing this. It sounds alot more promissing than drifting.
Its one warm up lap, three hot (timed) laps, then a cool down lap. Its a rolling full speed start as you cross the start/finish line on your warm up lap.

Quick Reply: Performance Factory: Our tune came with a extra package!