Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Forged Performance: Insane 350z Roadster Build...quest for the FI's Top 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
In past posts, go-fast has recommended eliminating the squirters and using coated pistons to preclude windage losses. I'm not an engine builder so just throwing it out there as something I would research if I were doing this again. You might want to PM str8dum1 as FP just built this same motor for his car. He's a research maniac so he'll likely be able to give you another perspective in addition to Sharif's expertise of course.
i feel its a toss up. alot of people (especially on the evo forums) will bicker about motors not needing oil squirters if theyre forged, and theyve seen engines fail because of a faulty squirter, and others argue about the cooling capabilities to it seems to be hit or miss. ive seen both work well.

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i wouldnt worry about the main caps. the standard Injected billet girdle is fine.

I would also, skip on the CJ hard line. Buy the twin pump and rail and have forged make all your lines. I'd use -10AN for the feed as well. That way it can be custom routed to fit your car exactly.
also better bet is to have forged get the DSS pro axles like alot of us use. That way you are not using any of the stock CVs.
ill have to check into this girdle. for my fuel setup i used sp triple pump and cut my own lines. 1 -6 return, a -10 feed splitting to a reducer which feeds 2 -6 to the rails. simple setup, but alot of line lol.

Originally Posted by eltness350
i guess me and dimitri (bbs350z) are gonna have to drive across the state to meet up with u ...everything is 15minutes away!! winsconsinzcrew.com is where u need to get on for car cruises and stuff in the area bro! forged took care of me...i know they will do the same for u bud!!
yea the wisconsin z boards are pretty dead for the most part but are pretty consistent on the events, and its a great group of guys. as far as e85 stations, i havent seen too many but theres one in brookfield i know alot of guys go to. lookin forward to seeing your car once its done! we should all go to zdayz this coming up summer

Originally Posted by binder
+1 on the info. I've never heard of this with our engines. If there are inconsistancies then it's probably an engine builder problem.

Many high hp engines around here with no changes to main caps.
+1, im gonna research this more. str8drum knows his stuff, and i enjoy reading his posts and updates!
just saw it said for de motors, does this also apply to revup blocks??

Last edited by bbs350z; 12-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
SH Luciano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks to be a sick build, in for results.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 AM
mrkplatt

Originally Posted by eltness350
i guess me and dimitri (bbs350z) are gonna have to drive across the state to meet up with u ...everything is 15minutes away!! winsconsinzcrew.com is where u need to get on for car cruises and stuff in the area bro! forged took care of me...i know they will do the same for u bud!!
Originally Posted by bbs350z
Yea the wisconsin z boards are pretty dead for the most part but are pretty consistent on the events, and its a great group of guys. as far as e85 stations, i havent seen too many but theres one in brookfield i know alot of guys go to. lookin forward to seeing your car once its done! we should all go to zdayz this coming up summer
Nice. Looking forward to it! And yea, everything is 15 minutes away...

Last edited by mrkplatt; 12-06-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:34 AM
XKR

If you don't plan on installing a traction control...impedance won't be an issue.....

The TC systems that have been researched on here will not accept less than 6 ohms. The ID injectors are the only one that will work for me.

Speak to Sharif ... He is aware of this issue.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
mrkplatt

Originally Posted by XKR
If you don't plan on installing a traction control...impedance won't be an issue.....

The TC systems that have been researched on here will not accept less than 6 ohms. The ID injectors are the only one that will work for me.

Speak to Sharif ... He is aware of this issue.
Thanks! We are talking. Appreciate the input! (And, I'll also have at least 100whp less than you!! )
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by mrkplatt
Thanks! We are talking. Appreciate the input! (And, I'll also have at least 100whp less than you!! )
I am having traction issues at the lowest settings....matter of fact I have NEVER turned the boost up....So you could have the same issues especially if your setup comes online line like mine.

My advise is to go with the ID now just in case....

Very nice build.....

Last edited by XKR; 12-06-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Ryan@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by XKR
I am having traction issues at the lowest settings....matter of fact I have NEVER turned the boost up....So you could have the same issues especially if your setup comes online line like mine.

My advise is to go with the ID now just in case....

Very nice build.....
We've been discussing this and likely will switch to the ID's

We had not talked about installing a traction control system like you did, but it's probably not a bad idea.

Oh....how could you NEVER have turned the boost up? Weak knees?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
mrkplatt

Originally Posted by Ryan@Forged
We had not talked about installing a traction control system like you did, but it's probably not a bad idea.
Hmm, seems like the snowball just got bigger again...
Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Ryan@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

To address a few of the other questions in this thread:

We are going with the Injected Performance Billet Main Girdle.

We chose the C8 cams over the C9 because one of the goals was to keep this build as streetable as possible. The C9's have a much more aggressive lift which we believe will make idle a bit rougher than desired for daily driving conditions. We believe the C8's will be a better choice in this case as we are not shooting for any power records
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking of the C9s for a couple reasons
-heads are already apart for work so clearancing would be easy
-using +1mm valves
-wont need to be high rpm screamer with stroke and turbo size
-reflash the idle for 1000-1100

for reasons that XKR mentioned, is also why I concur with just going with ID1000s over the HKS's.

Are you really going with a 98mm bore on an unsleeved motor? That 1mm more than any other unsleeved block I've seen. Never read any discussion on what the maximum unsleeved bore is though.

personally I wouldnt wanna have that much power on a vert without a roll bar at a minimum (at least just for chassis stiffening). Hopefully that is in the works as well.

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-06-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
bbs350z

xkr, what ems setup are you running??
Old 12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Ryan@Forged
We've been discussing this and likely will switch to the ID's

Oh....how could you NEVER have turned the boost up? Weak knees?
....Cant get traction at 550whp+....so no need turning it up until I have the TC installed

xkr, what ems setup are you running??
FCON with all the extras....Love it !!

C9...WOW...Sharif wanted to install that on my ride....but after hearing the C8....I felt that the C8 was a little too much for a street car as far as idle, but I still went with it......C9 was way out of the question....IMO

Last edited by XKR; 12-06-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM
str8dum1

i wanna go with C9's but my curve is already soo right shifted. I guess in the end, i shouldnt try to worry about my power under 5000 rpms and use bigger cams.

But whats the fun of building something, if you cant upgrade later
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
mrkplatt

Are you really going with a 98mm bore on an unsleeved motor? That 1mm more than any other unsleeved block I've seen. Never read any discussion on what the maximum unsleeved bore is though.
Yes we are. Should learn something... Hopefully something good? Ryan@Forged can shed some light on the decision making process!

personally I wouldnt wanna have that much power on a vert without a roll bar at a minimum (at least just for chassis stiffening). Hopefully that is in the works as well.
Another good point and the subject of ongoing discussions... Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Ryan@Forged
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrkplatt
Yes we are. Should learn something... Hopefully something good? Ryan@Forged can shed some light on the decision making process!
We are going with a 98mm bore on this one. We have road raced on a 100mm bore unsleeved with no problems back in the day. We feel comfortable with this setup or else we wouldn't be doing it. You also have to factor in that the goals of this car are far from yours. Your crazy setup is going to make more than any other Z to date on our dyno However, Mark's car is not going to be pushing that type of boost or power, so the stress level is significantly lower than yours. If he had the same goals as yourself we would not be going with the 98mm. As a fun weekend and occasional strip car I am very comfortable with this setup Hope this clears things up.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
str8dum1

good deal! i've just never read about anyone using more than a 97mm bore on an unsleeved motor. this will be a great build to follow. It should inspire more stroker builds and other options for larger displacement than just crank stoke

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-06-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by XKR
....Cant get traction at 550whp+....so no need turning it up until I have the TC installed

FCON with all the extras....Love it !!
what traction control are you gonna run? i am at a toss up of selling my current fcon for a pro-efi, but am second guessing it. can you run e85 on your fcon?? and mind if i ask, what power levels are you at now??
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
XKR

what traction control are you gonna run? i am at a toss up of selling my current fcon for a pro-efi, but am second guessing it. can you run e85 on your fcon?? and mind if i ask, what power levels are you at now??
RaceLogic is the TC of choice ....

I do not have it tuned for E85.... But yes....the Fcon can run it. The MadScientist ran the Fcon and made I think 650whp + on E85.

To date I have made 1006 whp...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by XKR

I do not have it tuned for E85.... But yes....the Fcon can run it. The MadScientist ran the Fcon and made I think 650whp + on E85.

To date I have made 1006 whp...
impressive! i may just keep my fcon and save some pennies over the pro efi. going to be a great upcoming season. everybodies power hungry, i love it
Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 AM
mrkplatt

Originally Posted by XKR
XKR, do you know anyone running this TC system? The Launch Control and Full Throttle Shift features look bad a!$... Would be interesting to know if anyone has experience with using these featurs of the RaceLogic system.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: Insane 350z Roadster Build...quest for the FI's Top 5