Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Past Nissan Racecars

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Past Nissan Racecars

Thought I'd share a few stories from before my Z33 race campaigns. Started racing in 1985 with the Eastern Motor Racing Association (EMRA) with a Honda Prelude in time trials. Stayed with that marque (CRX Si and Civic Si in SCCA) until 1990 when I swapped to Nissan primarily because their well-run race and contingency programs attracted me.

At that point in my career, I couldn't afford to race and own a Z32, but needed a faster car. After searching the used racecar market, I ended up purchasing a used semi-tube GT5 car. Unfortunately, this was all before digital photography, so pictures of the Datsun 1200 aren't available. But a few highlights of the car include: full fiberglass comp body with blister flares, 13" race slicks on Panasport alloys, full race A12 engine with wet sump custom pan and Datsun comp pump. High dome Cosworth pistons with Electromotive E2 cams pushing 130 HP from an engine originally rated at 60 HP. Fully adjustable DA shocks with Wilwood four wheel race brakes, master and clutch.

While I raced that GT5 car from 1990-95, the era of the full tubeframe car flitered down to the small bore GT classes. I partnered with another racer to buy another car with the latest innovations. I have only one good digital shot of that car and here it is:

This full tubeframe car utilized the then-new Nissan 200SX Se-R bodywork, but many of the same driveline components. Nissan A12 engine, but with drysump lubrication, twin Mikunis and Nissan comp 5-speed tranny (later swapped for a Hall dogring race tranny). My teammate used a full race A14 engine, lighter weight and bigger wheels/tires to run GT4 in the same chassis. One Runoffs race, I raced and finished top 10 in GT5 and brought the car back to our pit space to swap engines, wheels/tires and refuel with race gas/electricity to race in GT4 a few hours later. It was a thrash, and we never tried THAT again! But I have good memories of that time: we won multiple National SCCA races, had several top 10 Runoffs finishes and garnered multiple Divisional titles/lap records during that period. But most critical was how much those cars accelerated my automotive and motorsports education.
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-26-2017), Desert Z (07-03-2017), MicVelo (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,265 Likes on 2,323 Posts

David, thank you for sharing that!! Said in that other thread that I was in for the past cars. This about takes care of that!! Awesome!

I've often asked myself where I'd be if I hadn't given it up in the '80s to go back to school. Heh heh.... will never know but thankful I was given a chance to get that out of my system early. Hahahahaha!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:35 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mic- you're most welcome. Wish I some pics of my first GT5 car and if I find some to scan, I'll post them here. As for your own racing career, it sounds like you made the right choice. You not only got a better education, but think of the money you saved! People ask about the key to success in racing, and the old saying continues to be true. Talented drivers can make a small fortune in pro racing...but only if they start with a bigger one!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:37 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

DK - I've noticed you're color scheme has been red & blue, is there a reason behind this? also why #7?

John Elway Nissan!! that's awesome!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Actually, my racing colors have varied depending on what kind of sponsorship was raised. But I've always loved red as the primary, with white, black and silver as accent colors. As for #7, it's been my lucky number since I raced slot cars back in the 60's.

Interesting note on the Elway Nissan connection. At one point Nissan would essentially double the contingency money if you were associated with a Nissan dealer ("Dealer contingency program") and you could actually make some money in SCCA racing. Those days are long gone now, but the current Nissan Motorsports program remains competitive in a shrinking marketplace.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:49 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Actually, my racing colors have varied depending on what kind of sponsorship was raised. But I've always loved red as the primary, with white, black and silver as accent colors. As for #7, it's been my lucky number since I raced slot cars back in the 60's.

Interesting note on the Elway Nissan connection. At one point Nissan would essentially double the contingency money if you were associated with a Nissan dealer ("Dealer contingency program") and you could actually make some money in SCCA racing. Those days are long gone now, but the current Nissan Motorsports program remains competitive in a shrinking marketplace.
"Slot cars"? "60s"??? No way, dude, I did that back then and I refuse to believe you're that.... welll, put this way, don't you dare to ever laff at my age. Hahahahahahaha!!!! Kidding.... get off my lawn!!

Wonder how many you lost when you mentioned "slot cars"?

By the way, I had both 1/24 (or was it smaller, like 1/30 or something??) and AFX.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Meh- age is a state of mind. Racing, however is always top of mind!

Yep- slot cars- 1/24, 1/32 and 1/87 (AFX)- ran 'em all! The only chance I had to race a Ferrari P4, Chapparal 2E or McLaren 8F...
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thought of the perfect post to close this thread. During the late 90's and up to 2003, I saved the money I earned from race contingencies in a fund for a special car. When I learned the Z would be reintroduced in 2000, I went down to the dealer I was working with (John Elway Nissan, now an AutoNation franchise) and put down a deposit. "I've never heard of this", said the GM. "Oh, you will", I reassured him.

So that's a little of the backstory on my pre-order '03 track model and one reason why it remains a special car to this day. I can actually say my racing paid for at least a part of the Z.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:42 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Thought of the perfect post to close this thread. During the late 90's and up to 2003, I saved the money I earned from race contingencies in a fund for a special car. When I learned the Z would be reintroduced in 2000, I went down to the dealer I was working with (John Elway Nissan, now an AutoNation franchise) and put down a deposit. "I've never heard of this", said the GM. "Oh, you will", I reassured him.

So that's a little of the backstory on my pre-order '03 track model and one reason why it remains a special car to this day. I can actually say my racing paid for at least a part of the Z.

"SIGN THAT MAN TO A CONTRACT, TOTO WOLF!!"

Any man who can claim they made money racing SCCA amateur is surely a draw!!!!

No need to "close" this thread!! It's far more interesting than the "I broked something" threads. Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....
Old 07-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.