Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Really strange cranking / fuel related issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 05:46 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Really strange cranking / fuel related issue?

I am having a really strange issue and I'm trying to see what I am capable of checking before sending back to my tuner's shop

I'll try to keep it short as possible..

2007 bone stock 350z with 90k miles. drives perfect.

I just had a boosted performance mid mount turbo kit installed. along with the supporting mods. 340lph fuel pump, injector dynamic 1050 injectors, etc. no return system. everything was brand new.

car gets tuned and makes great power and drives perfect at tuner's shop. i go to pick up (3 hours away) and test drive there. again, drives great. cranks up multiple times with no issue.

i trailer the car back to my house. pull off the trailer and park in my driveway and this is where the issues seem to begin. after the car sits a few hours i go to crank it and it just turns over and will not fire. first thing i do is pull the fuel basket and notice that the fuel pump had fallen out of place. so i re install it and zip tie it so that it won't happen again. put fuel basket back in and car cranks up and drives great!

park it overnight.. go out next morning to crank and it will NOT crank again. so once again, i pull fuel pump assembly, check it over. everything seems okay. so i reinstall. CAR CRANKS UP PERFECT?

TL;DR ----. if the car gets cold it will not crank. But if i pull the fuel pump assembly and reinstall. it cranks right up - until it gets cold again.... wtf???

Tuner has never seen anything like this. We have tried installing a new fuel pump. same issue persists. he reached out to CJM to see if he had heard of any issues similar to this and he had not. but recommended trying to crank it with the gas cap open to see if there was a vapor lock issue. no luck.

Is there anything you can think of before I send back to tuner's shop? he has been super cooperative trying to help me figure the issue out but I am trying to avoid dedicating another entire day to taking this car back and forth again.