Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

MMA fans and athletes read this!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:49 AM
fightmoves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMA fans and athletes read this!

Those of you that are close to the sport know that the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission got involved in Georgia MMA events last year. You have also probably noticed that there are far fewer events and far smaller cards as the higher level pro fighters are not fighting in this state. Why because the new sanctions more or less impact the amount the promoter has to pay the state…. imagine that! So there is less money to pay the fighters. They also implemented some crazy rules for armature fighters, so most of them are being booked as “pro” to avoid the new rules. The result; more local bookings of mediocre fighters, poor crowd attendance, and the good athletes competing elsewhere.

Condemned by Senator John McCain of Arizona as “human cockfighting,” these “no holds barred” contests were subsequently banned in 36 states.

It won’t end here. Legislature won’t be happy until your sitting in a diaper, on beanbag, watching friends reruns. And the will be a special interest group governing all of it.

Here’s the latest attempt to strip you of your choices and rights
Senate Bill 413

Statement from Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission Board Chairman J.J. Biello on introduction of Senate Bill 413:

The goal of the is to protect the health, safety and well being of boxers, mixed martial artists, wrestlers and members of the public that attend licensed events and use the services of ticket brokers. We look forward to any direction from the Georgia General Assembly and Governor Perdue that will help the Commission accomplish this goal. The Commission greatly respects the legislative process and will delay decisions on professional wrestling rules while the General Assembly considers SB 413.
The proposed legislative changes will:
* Provide consistent oversight for all sports and licensees under the purview of the GAEC.
* Bring clarity and definition to the licensing of mixed martial arts, professional wrestling and professional boxing.
* Remove the ambiguity and inconsistencies of the current code.
* Send a message to promoters and licensees that the state of Georgia is serious about protecting competitors and the public. This legislative change will encourage a larger number of reputable licensees to do business in Georgia.
SB 413 was introduced on February 6, 2008 by State Senator Eric Johnson. The bill was assigned to the Senate Committee on Regulated Industries and Utilities.........WTF!!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:18 AM
fightmoves

Originally Posted by MC
i know the 2 are a little different but it seems hypocritical of mcain since he is a big boxing fan and you can sometimes spot him in the crowd in the past at pay per views
It makes perfect sense bro…. MMA is killing boxing at the box office = Special interest money lost IE; Boxing Commission (arguably the most corrupt governing body on the planet)… and… I don’t see pasty old men at MMA events. So he’s covering his a$$ and his kick backs. It’s sickening…. The more I know the less I want to know s**t!

Last edited by fightmoves; 02-14-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:29 AM
fightmoves

Originally Posted by MC
oh i know im an avid fan of both. yeah MMA is destroying boxing for alot or reasons. first of all the unpredictability, you can have to no name MMA guys have the fight of the night. 2nd of all for instance UFC PPVs have a pretty consistant card where a boxing PPV because of the various promotions you will only have one big fight and alot of filler fights for $50

this proposed bill seems its going the opposite direction than what i thought, to me MMA seems to be so much more mainstream and accepted now. than it was just a few years back
My boy Diego Saraiva breaking GeorgeGurgel’s jaw in the octagon. He used to fight in Georgia… but with the new sanctions… all those guys are gone.

and at the rate we're going... all we'll be left with is images!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 AM
aarantes

I always hated Georgia this just gives me another reason...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fightmoves
My boy Diego Saraiva breaking GeorgeGurgel’s jaw in the octagon. He used to fight in Georgia… but with the new sanctions… all those guys are gone.

and at the rate we're going... all we'll be left with is images!

Diego is a cool a$$ dude! Nice guy.... so he doesnt train here anymore??? he was supposed to let watch some of his fights he had on video... damn that would suck if he moved. You have an email btw Jay. Didnt Diego fracture that guys eye socket too?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by aarantes
I always hated Georgia this just gives me another reason...
+1. its a crap state. It's biggest city is a ghetto, and I'm fairly certain there are more idiot inbred pieces of trash down there than there are in Tennessee. and thats sayin somethin.

no offense to you georgia folks ^_^
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
+1. its a crap state. It's biggest city is a ghetto, and I'm fairly certain there are more idiot inbred pieces of trash down there than there are in Tennessee. and thats sayin somethin.

no offense to you georgia folks ^_^
none taken you're probobly right... i took a trip to cali for the first time last fall and didnt want to come back... as soon as got a breath of that stagnent humid air i was like home sweet home...
Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 AM
aarantes

Originally Posted by DaProdigy
none taken you're probobly right... i took a trip to cali for the first time last fall and didnt want to come back... as soon as got a breath of that stagnent humid air i was like home sweet home...
So true except for the home sweet home part haha. Oh well Im stuck here for a while because of college