Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

2006 LaJunta track day

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Mudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will not be joining the caravan down as I have to wait for my wife who is hosting a Candle Party that day at 10am. The soonest I could be to the rest area is around 2:30-3:00pm.
I will just meet up with everyone in La Junta. Keep your cell phones on so I can find everyone.
We will be staying in the Holiday Inn Express in town I believe. Lets hope no meth labs will be run out of that hotel.

Mudd
Old 02-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Mudd

Looks like the weather is looking good for our date so far..........real good!!!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...ink_undeclared
Old 02-11-2006, 02:06 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife and I will be at the rest stop at 1 for the drive down. 6 o'clock dinner at the Mexican place works for us...Mudd, we'll have a beer (or margarita or whatever) waiting for you and Sarah.

We'll probably be staying at the Holiday Inn Express, too. I'm curious to see if this is one of those 'hotels that time forgot' that still has the '70's or '80's decor. I guess we'll see.

Can't wait for Sunday.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:43 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Well, the ever-changing weather forcast has taken a slight turn for the worst. Next weekend went from sunny and in the 50's to a chance of snow showers and being in the 30's. While this is reason for concern, let's not get too excited one way or the other YET. I'll track this carefully over the next few days and post more here...
Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
jgray

Default Maybe...

Count me in as a maybe. I've been wanting to test out this track for quite some time - weather permiting, I'll be there. It's about time I get some higher RPMs on my new engine...

Joel

P.S. It's likely I'll be staying the night too, but since I'm in Colorado Springs the caravan is out. Maybe I'll pass you guys on the way there. Street-smarts and a Valentine 1 will get you there quicker!

Last edited by jgray; 02-12-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:50 AM
DigitalSamurai

Default Track Day questions?

I have some question about the track day. Fist I just found this tread so this is very short notice. Not on time but short notice on money. My car is stock and I don’t have money at this point to get new brakes put on the car. Will this be okay? This is my fist track day with a car (I have done many on my R1 but I’m sure a car will be a different story). So I’ll say I’m a newbie to this. Another thing is would it be okay if my friend come down with his S4 or is it only for Z’s and G’s? I will be using a motorcycle helmet, will this work (ones again money)? Also is there anyone else from the Colo Spngs going?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!
I'm in the Springs and will be going. Your motorcycle helmet will be fine, but we always recommend a SA approved helmet as it is certified for road racing use. It will be worth your while to upgrade later if you can swing it and continue to do track days. As far as your car, mine is bone stock as well. The only thing you'll need to have a good time is upgraded brake pads. Call Cobalt Racing for some pads, or try Courtesy Nissan and order some EBC Ceramic RedStuff pads. You can have both shipped via 3-day air with UPS or USPS. Other things to bring will be a jacket, some snacks, water bottles, and minor tools like a ratchet or wrench set just in case. sunscreen is good too. If you can make it, and I hope you can as this is a great track to learn the Z's limits on, then we can caravan down there together. As for your buddy's S4, that would be cool to see on the track, but this is a Z event this time around. Hope you can show up!
Will
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

You all suck cause I'm at work this weekend.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by DigitalSamurai
I have some question about the track day. Fist I just found this tread so this is very short notice. Not on time but short notice on money. My car is stock and I don’t have money at this point to get new brakes put on the car. Will this be okay? This is my fist track day with a car (I have done many on my R1 but I’m sure a car will be a different story). So I’ll say I’m a newbie to this. Another thing is would it be okay if my friend come down with his S4 or is it only for Z’s and G’s? I will be using a motorcycle helmet, will this work (ones again money)? Also is there anyone else from the Colo Spngs going?
Resolute covered most of your questions quite nicely. I'd add that most Z's on OEM brakes end up with brake fade after just a few sessions. Upgrading your pads will allow you to have more fun and I'd also consider bleeding the OEM brake fluid and changing to something like Valvoline Synpower DOT 4 fluid (cheap and readily available).

There will be folks who want to use M-rated helmets, but again, the problem is that those helmets are rated, designed and tested to take a single blow to the head. That's what happens in most motorcycle accidents! SA-rated helmets are designed and tested to withstand multiple hits and this is what usually happens in a car crash.

Hope to see you at the track, but now that you've found it, keep checking this thread. We'll have further details as the weekend approaches!
Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by dkmura
Resolute covered most of your questions quite nicely. I'd add that most Z's on OEM brakes end up with brake fade after just a few sessions. Upgrading your pads will allow you to have more fun and I'd also consider bleeding the OEM brake fluid and changing to something like Valvoline Synpower DOT 4 fluid (cheap and readily available).
Good call, I forgot about bleeding the brakes, I think I do it so often anymore I never think of it as an extra precaution, LOL!
Will
Old 02-13-2006, 10:05 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jgray
Count me in as a maybe. I've been wanting to test out this track for quite some time - weather permiting, I'll be there. It's about time I get some higher RPMs on my new engine...

Joel

P.S. It's likely I'll be staying the night too, but since I'm in Colorado Springs the caravan is out. Maybe I'll pass you guys on the way there. Street-smarts and a Valentine 1 will get you there quicker!
Joel! Glad to hear that we're now counting you as a "may be". P.S. I use a V1 as well and would add another note of caution through those small eastern towns. The traffic is SO space that instant-on is the rule, not the exception, in those areas. Even a V-1 cannot help you if you "bend" the limit a bit. They simply need the revenue in those areas, so watch yourself!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default For your viewing pleasure!

2006 LaJunta Raceway Track Day Syllabus February 19, 2006

Disclaimer: Motorsports is an endeavor that inherently involves risk to both driver and vehicle. While the organizer/instructors will attempt to provide a safe and fun experience for each participant, this in no way guarantees against any type of personal injury or property damage incurred during the day. Participation in any portion of this track day is voluntary and any risk incurred is the individual responsibility of each driver/passenger. The organizer/instructors assume NO liability for any accident, which might occur during this event. In agreeing to participate in this event, each person agrees to these conditions.
Sunday Morning

8:30- 9:00 a.m. We will leave the hotel and travel to the track, located north of town at the LaJunta Airport, to meet the LaJunta track manager. Every driver will sign the track waiver and pay the $35/car fee directly to the manager. Be aware that refunds are not available once your car is on the racetrack. Please find a spot on the south end of the paddock to unload your car (all unnecessary items OUT of the cockpit). Please check that all wheels are properly torqued to 85 ft/lbs and check tire pressure is set. The track will be secured via a fence surrounding the facility for the day.
9:00- 10:30 a.m. After getting situated, meet at the north end of the track in single-file order. Instructors will begin by checking each driver’s seating position in the car and hand positioning on the wheel. The initial driving exercises will use cones; please be patient as we reset the course between each exercise. We’ll talk about vehicle dynamics, including threshold braking, weight transfer, oversteer/understeer and how to read them during these exercises.

1) Threshold braking exercise (may be combined with wet/dry combo)
-Accelerate up to cones before applying brakes- come to full stop.
-Z’s listed static weight (F/R) balance is 52/48%. What does the balance change to under braking?

2) Accident avoidance exercise (similar to threshold braking exercise, except braking/steering and a heel-toe downshift are combined into the maneuver).
-Accelerate up to cones and brake HARD while using proper hand movement on wheel to swerve around obstacle(s).
-Try going around both left and right sides- is it easier to go one way than the other? Why? Keep in mind the next time you practice this exercise, it may be in a traffic jam!
LaJunta Raceway 2006 Track Day p. 2 of 2

3) Skid pad constant acceleration and handling exercise.
-We will use cones to mark a circular skid pad course. Each car accelerates around the skid pad until it achieves maximum traction.
-Note whether the front (understeer) or rear (oversteer) loses traction first. What happens if you abruptly lift off the throttle? How about touching the brakes at the limit? Take five laps each direction.

10:45 a.m. After a brief break, we will conduct a walk-and-drive reconnaissance of the entire 1.4-mile road circuit and demonstrate brake, entry, apex and exit points around the circuit. After this, we will break into smaller groups and instructors will lead students at slow speeds for 4-5 laps around the track. Please pay particular attention to the rhythm of this deceptively “simple” racetrack. Use your eyes to track ahead and pick up the right braking point, turn-in and apex for each turn- as well as when and where to feed-in throttle as you exit a turn.
LUNCH BREAK- (please check tire pressure as temps rise)
After lunch, let’s discuss how to use the fundamental skills we practiced in the morning session to help us manage the weight transfer and subsequent understeer/oversteer conditions on the track.

We will increase the speeds as we again follow single-file behind the instructors and use a ‘leap frog’ passing technique to get each person the opportunity to follow behind the leader. Note that we will gradually increase speeds and slowly move-in our braking points. Note what happens with an early apex vs. a late apex turn (at LaJunta an early apex is often rewarded with a dusty trip as you run out of room at the exit). After these sessions, we will stop for a break and talk about limited passing rules for the remainder of the afternoon. Before going out, again check tire pressures as track temperatures and speeds will both increase (keeping G35 or 350Z tire pressures under 40# will aid grip). Drink some water and stay hydrated! If your brakes need a session to cool-down, feel free to ask one of the instructors to let you ride along for the next lapping sessions, which will be at speed. Should you begin to feel tired or fatigued at any point during the day, please do not hesitate to stop and take a break. Remember that the grand prize for the day is to increase your awareness and knowledge of high-performance driving and your reward is to take your gorgeous car home- INTACT- once the day is over. We will stop hot lapping around 4-4:30 p.m., secure the track and head back north. Plan on stopping in Pueblo for dinner and enjoy recounting the day with your friends!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Resolute

Sounds good, similiar format to last time. Should be a lot of fun guys, come if you can!!!
Will
Old 02-13-2006, 05:39 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good plan to me. The skidpad exercise is new (compared to previous events that David has put together), and it's the one I'm most looking forward to in the early, 'driving exercises' part of the day.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:57 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The morning skidpad exercise was added at GaryM05's suggestion. It may take us a little longer to set the cones, so please bear with us. We'll allow Gary to sample our makeshift skidpad first and give us the thumbs up if it meets his satisfaction!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Mudd

I saw that and thought it was a great addition.

Perhaps we could set up a jump so we can learn Dukes of Hazzard style manuevers as well.

Mudd
Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Mudd
I saw that and thought it was a great addition.

Perhaps we could set up a jump so we can learn Dukes of Hazzard style manuevers as well.

Mudd
YES!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Will you guys post pics and times? Really wish I had this weekend off to go.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Mudd

If you REALLY wanted to go, I'm sure you could find a way Robert.

Like vacation day, or just plain ol callin in sick always works.

Mudd
Old 02-14-2006, 08:38 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Weather forecast blues

This changing weather is really messin' with my mind. Now it looks like low temps have really moved into the area through the weekend, but I'm more concerned with snow/rain COMBINED with freezing weather for both the drive down and in LaJunta itself. As we all know, snow + Z's do not easily mix. Perhaps we should combine the 'Dukes' stunt driving with World Rally Championship sideways action? LOL

Haven't made any hard decisions for this weekend yet. But let's hope the forecasts get better...

Any thoughts? Remember that we have backup reservations for the following weekend (2/26) on tap.

Quick Reply: 2006 LaJunta track day