Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

NASA at Pueblo, March 15/16

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008 | 03:39 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

A note: New policy for NASA Rocky Mountain this year is that Tech Inspection for HPDE and Time Trials will cost $20 if done at the track. The list of approved tech shops is on the NASA site to get it done beforehand. If you live greater than 60 miles from one of those shops, then conact Dave Balingit (the NASA RM director) and he can waive the $20 fee.

And yeah, the weather report is starting to look good!
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:14 AM
ColoradoClark

I'm glad you said that, Dave: the info on the website and forums about tech inspections isn't very clear.
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:27 AM
GaryM05

I would highly recommend pre-tech'ing before the event, which must be done at one of the approved shops. It won't cost you anything (or at least it shouldn't), and it gives you time to address any issues that they find before the event.

It would really suck to drive down to Pueblo, planning on driving in HPDE or TT at the event, only to fail tech at the track. Plus, if you always do your pre-tech at the same location, you'll get to know some of the folks around the shop (and you never know when that will come in handy.)

You can find a list of the approved tech shops here:

http://www.nasarockymountain.com/techshops.pdf

Just make an appointment, and bring your helment and a printout of the NASA HPDE tech sheet:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/..._hpde_tech.pdf

It shouldn't take too long, and it will give you peace of mind when you head down for the event that you won't have to worry about your car passing tech at the track.
Old 03-08-2008 | 08:03 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark
I'm glad you said that, Dave: the info on the website and forums about tech inspections isn't very clear.
Yeah, like I said, the $20 fee is new this year, and is meant to decrease congestion in the tech lines the morning of the event.

Also, as Gary said, you certainly wouldn't want to fail tech that morning! It's not all that complex an inspection, just a general check for the roadworthiness of the car, but some people do fail, due to poor preparation.
Old 03-09-2008 | 03:16 PM
ColoradoClark

Thanks, guys. MAC Autosports is about 10 minutes form my house. I'll get an appointment for early in the week. 6K miles on my Nismo -- sure hope the inspection is easy!

I've browsed the appropriate forums and read quite a bit about brakes, but do any of you local guys have recommendations for brake pads for the Brembos that would be decent for the track, but usable for DD, too? I don't really care too much about brake dust, but something that has halfway decent cold stopping power (for driving around town) that has decent, predictable bite for the track -- and won't wear super fast if it gets heated up a bit on the track. Is that a pipe dream? Are there any really good multi-purpose brake pads out there?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice that you can offer!

Sean
Old 03-09-2008 | 03:30 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

David M, or GaryM05 will probably be able to offer advice on brake pads; I bite the bullet and have seperate pads for track and day to day driving. What I have found is that brakes that claim to be dual purpose always tend to be noisy at medium pedal effort, and that bothers me, so I switch out pads every track weekend.

MAC should do the inspection for free, if they want to charge you, make sure they know you are with NASA, and tell Bill (the owner, older guy), that Dave Post sent you there (that would be me) I've dropped enough money there that they shoudl be willing to help out. While you are there, check out RobertK's black 350Z getting a JWT twin turbo kit put in, as well as some Stoptech brakes and a couple of other things.

Also, the tech form is located here

Best thing to do is go over it beforehand. Basically just checking for roadworthiness, tightened lugnuts, good brake pads, plenty of tread left on tires, brake fluid at right level, and most importantly, that your helmet is the proper certification (Snell or DOT)
Old 03-09-2008 | 03:31 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Sean- I thought I had posted before, but I'd highly recommend Cobalt Friction's GT Sport or XR2 pad compounds. Both are available in Brembo pad sizes. I've used both for street and track use with no change in between. They're easy on those pricy Brembo rotors, but do squeak when cold. You can get them through www.cobaltfriction.com and tell them I sent you!
Old 03-09-2008 | 05:22 PM
GaryM05

Sean - Like David P. said, there is no really good 'one size fits all' solution. The closest you'll be able to get will be one of the Cobalt Friction pads that David M. mentioned, or something like Axxis Ultimates or Ferodo DS2500.

However, they won't be great at anything (will squeal when cold and will eventually overheat at the track), but will be at least passably decent on the street and your first few sessions on track with the Brembos. If you find yourself going to the track more than once or twice, you'll likely want to spring for a good set of dedicated track pads, and spend the small amount of time required before and after the event to swap them out.

Also, as a reality check, when David M. mentions that he uses those particular Cobalt Friction pads on both the street and track with no pad change in between, you should be aware that he is an alien from a distant galaxy, and that normal rules of physics don't seem to apply to him. As a result, he uses his brakes MUCH LESS at the track than mere mortals like you or I. So a mild pad that works well for him will turn to mush when those of us with less skill need to use it many more times a lap than he does.

If you decide to try the Axxis or Ferodo pads, you can get them from Dave Zeckhausen at www.zeckhausen.com. Although, he'll tell you same thing you've heard here - that there really is no perfect dual-use solution.

That being said, I'm psyched that you'll be getting involved with NASA!!! Don't let something like not having perfect brake pads keep you from coming down and driving at the event. If you have to drive on your stock pads, just be aware that they could overheat during the course of the day, and that you might need to be prepared to miss a few laps (or even a session) if they start feeling uncomfortable. Your instructor will understand (as will your fellow group-members.)

Last edited by GaryM05; 03-09-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2008 | 07:10 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Yes. David M uses alternate rules of physics. When they talk about how a skilled driver in a Geo Metro can beat an unskilled driver in an Indy car, David M is the example they use.

Also, what Gary said about Dave Zeckhausen is very true. I get my brake pads through him, and he knows what he is talking about.

Finally, changing brake pads at the track is not a big deal. I do that sometimes, and sometimes I do it the day prior. Either way, I'll have a jack, jack stands, and all the tools you'll need to change pads at the track, if you are so inclined.
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:43 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Well, I won't be bringing the T2 car down to Pueblo this weekend. Between delays at the shop and my work schedule, the car is just not far enough along. But that doesn't mean I'm not racing! I'll bring my street 350Z and run in TTB on both Saturday and Sunday. I look forward to seeing everybody there!

BTW- While I appreciate the props, I don't know about "alternate physics" or any alien braking technology. But I do try to get on and off the brakes HARD and FAST. Smoothness is the key! It also happens that I sometimes LOSE time by carrying too much corner entry speed on occasion! LOL

Last edited by dkmura; 03-11-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2008 | 09:07 AM
GaryM05

Sorry to hear that, David. Between your T2 car and my 944, this is turning out to be a sad way to start the year for Z guys' racecars! At least you'll be driving SOMETHING at the event. Good luck in TTB!

Oh, and you know this is the last opportunity to set a track record on the current configuration, so maybe you can go for that, too. That'd be a nice way to say farewell to the current Turn 10 layout, with a Z as the TTB track record holder!
Old 03-11-2008 | 11:20 AM
jgray

I'm glad I don't have your gremlins. I swapped tires, pads and got inspected today so I'm good-to-go.

You bring up an interesting point Gary... I wonder what the fastest 350z lap has been at PMI. Perhaps David M. will just tell us what his personal best is and we can assume that's the number to aim for.

Joel
Old 03-11-2008 | 08:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

It's not even close- the fastest 350Z at PMP is Bob Schader's T2 350Z in 2006. Schader is a quick driver with several pro titles to his credit. He runs a very well-financed effort in everything he's raced. In 2006 he built a new 350Z that won every time out and qualified on the pole at the SCCA Runoffs.

According to official results in April '06, he turned a fast lap of 1:43.297 at the Saturday National race.
Old 03-12-2008 | 05:32 AM
jgray

1:43!? Wow!

You may recall that I bought a set of wheels from Bob. Do you think they are worth a few tenths?

Joel
Old 03-12-2008 | 06:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

That's right! You bought that set of Enkeis from Bob. Those will definitely be worth a few tenths! But still no guarantee that you'll get anywhere near a 1:43. Maybe if you bought his full-prep 350Z, fresh R-compound tires and crew...

My best lap in a GT5 tubeframe car was a 1:44 something or other, if that gives you any idea...
Old 03-12-2008 | 10:05 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Hoping to meet up with Gary and Joel for dinner Friday night. I like to register on Friday evening to get that out of the way, but if Dave or Sean (or anybody else) is coming early, let me know and we'll plan to get together.

With the forcast looking decidedly iffy for Sunday night, I don't plan on staying around after the races. I may even put some times down in the morning and get on the road to avoid any problems.
Old 03-12-2008 | 12:55 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

I'll be there Friday, but I am going to be at the track for the comp school. Just sitting in to see what i can learn, though.
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:05 PM
jgray

I'm driving down early Saturday morning so I won't be able to make a Friday dinner. I'm up for a Saturday dinner if any of you are available.

Joel
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:08 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jgray
I'm driving down early Saturday morning so I won't be able to make a Friday dinner. I'm up for a Saturday dinner if any of you are available.

Joel
I had already planned on that, with all the VQ35 guys that are willing!
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:28 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Aren't all of us planning to have dinner at the track Saturday night? It'll be the first NASA dinner of the season and will be good to see everyone there!

Quick Reply: NASA at Pueblo, March 15/16