Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Buttonwillow Track Day 3/1-3/2 Summary

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:39 AM
importriders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buttonwillow Track Day 3/1-3/2 Summary

Took the Z on its first track day. The car handles great out of the box, the only thing I would do is get a full suspension and some better tires. As far as Buttonwillow, its a really fun track. Lots of turns and a couple of straights. A couple of turns are really technical. Lots of runoff so if you go off you dont really have to worry about hitting anything. We ran the track CCW in race configuration #1. My best time was a 2:12. Don't really know where that stands, but I timed a couple of the cars in the other groups and I was pretty close. So I guess not bad for the first time on this track in a new car. Overall the car handled great in stock form with stock tires. I have some pics to post but I have to do it the old school way(develop,scan,post) since I don't have a digicam. I'll post them as soon as I can.

As far as the club I ran with, TCRA, they are a cool bunch of guys. They are a little more on the hardcore side than other clubs, per what people that have ran with other clubs/organizations told me, probably because they have a racing series. So it was a bit intimidating. When I get pics up you guys will know what I mean. The majority of cars there were really high performance. And I felt funny driving my car to the track instead of having a trailer or garage on wheels like everyone else. In all, they are probably not as beginner friendly as other clubs, not because of the staff, but more because the guys your running with. Again, probably because of the race series they have. All the time trialers want to get into the race group and the racers, well...they race. Again, this last weekend may have been the exception.

There was a CS 350z racing also in the time trial group and a Brickyard that showed up to watch. Anybody here?!? To the CS Track owner, I'm jealous. You have some really nice cars!

Pics coming!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:46 AM
dczoner

Thats probably one of the things I'm not too hot on with these track events is that if you're the noobie, they don't necessarily make you feel all that welcome (not like they're pushing you out the door, but you get my drift). I think it can be pretty intimidating to drive a course you've never driven, in a car you've never track-raced, with all those experienced drivers sitting on the sidelines. Someday soon I'll get out to the track w/ my baby - I just need some track tires.

Awesome write up, I can't wait to see the pictures!
Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking for a less intimidating track experience at Buttonwillow, you might want to try one of Buttonwillow's own Performance Driving Clinics. They're only one-day events, and you get lots of track time. Almost all of the cars that show up are street driven, and there are usually plenty of experienced instructors (including me!) to guide novices and experts alike.

The remaining schedule as it stands right now is:
May 11
July 27
December 20

Keep checking the Buttonwillow site if you're interested, because more dates may become available. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'll do my best to answer, or send you in the right direction.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:11 PM
importriders

Default LINK TO PICS

Got the pics scanned and uploaded. Sorry, not to many action shots since these were taken with a disposable camera. Mostly pics of the nicer cars that were there at the event.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/importriders@sbcglobal.net

Click on the "Buttonwillow" folder.