Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Sales/Marketing Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 PM
BlackSpec02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales/Marketing Experience

I figured I would post here, rather than off-topic since these things can vary by region.

Basically I will be graduating college this may with my business degree in marketing and management. I don't have much experience in business/sales/marketing/advertising... which are the arenas I am hoping to go into. I have a good gpa about 3.4 and am involved with Associated Students, Inc. as the Chairman of the Board of Directors and College of Business Representative. However all of my work experience so far has been in customer/food service, I am a waiter currently.

I've been thinking about looking for a new job to gain some experience and would love some feedback about places to go to get some good experience. I've been told there is good money in sales and so I initially thought about a car dealer or a cell phone carriers store, like cingular or something since both work on commissions. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, ideas for a college kid who's only months away from the real world?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
tnk210

How long have you been at your current job? I've been in a sales/management position all through college and I think the longevity shows well for the resume. Still not sure what I'm doing after this fall though!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 PM
BlackSpec02

Been at my current restaurant for a year and was at the one before it for 2 and the one before that for 2.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 AM
toyoter91

T-mobile is a GREAT place to work. and with your degree if you want to move up they will be the ones to develop you and get you where you want to be.

i started with tmobile in feb 05 as a part time sales rep and have worked my way up to store manager now. I love the company and the pay aint to bad either
Old 09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
BlackSpec02

thanks for the input!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:26 AM
plastiketa

If you plan on moving to LA, I work for an Ad Agency that has openings every so often. I'll be back in town next week, so PM me if your interested! Only catch is that you have to pay your dues before you start making real flow.

-Oliver
Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by Freak
try DSD vendors such as Pepsi, Coke Cola, Frito Lay. they are huge companies with alot of perks. i get free game tickets, gift cards, and so on. with a degree, the potential of advancment is increased and will be accelerated.
What kind of positions do you start at in a company like that? Also how would you apply to a company like that?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 AM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by plastiketa
If you plan on moving to LA, I work for an Ad Agency that has openings every so often. I'll be back in town next week, so PM me if your interested! Only catch is that you have to pay your dues before you start making real flow.

-Oliver
Advertising would be awesome; I have heard that it takes a few years of "paying your dues" and proving yourself, but once you do the money is really good. I would definitely be interested in Advertising and possibly even moving to LA, I just have to graduate first... I'll have my degree in May.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 AM
becket7913

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
What kind of positions do you start at in a company like that? Also how would you apply to a company like that?
i depends if you want to go into sales or operations.if you decide on sales,they have a fast track program where you will run routes for a time and get to know the business. after that time you will become a DSL designate and train on managing a district of sales people etc.. find a frito lay rep. around town and ask for the managers name/number.also ask for the ZSL's name and number. keep calling even if they don't call you back.hound them.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM
ZTheWayILook

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
I figured I would post here, rather than off-topic since these things can vary by region.

Basically I will be graduating college this may with my business degree in marketing and management. I don't have much experience in business/sales/marketing/advertising... which are the arenas I am hoping to go into. I have a good gpa about 3.4 and am involved with Associated Students, Inc. as the Chairman of the Board of Directors and College of Business Representative. However all of my work experience so far has been in customer/food service, I am a waiter currently.

I've been thinking about looking for a new job to gain some experience and would love some feedback about places to go to get some good experience. I've been told there is good money in sales and so I initially thought about a car dealer or a cell phone carriers store, like cingular or something since both work on commissions. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions, ideas for a college kid who's only months away from the real world?

Monster.com
Old 09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
BlackSpec02

you cant apply at Frito like that. you have to do it via the website or the 1-800 number. also you would want to talk to the ZBM (zone business manager) not the ZSL (zone sales manager). also im sure with a degree they will at very least interview you. the Zone i work in is a union zone, so you do have to pay some dues, as far as, putting in time and learning the business.

edit: if you tell me the city in which you plan on working im sure i can find a contact person/number for you
As of now I plan on trying to stay in san diego, but I would consider relocation depending on job offers. What kind of pay could I expect in entry level positions? How few and far between are advancement opportunities? Do you enjoy working for frito lay?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
becket7913

you cant apply at Frito like that. you have to do it via the website or the 1-800 number. also you would want to talk to the ZBM (zone business manager) not the ZSL (zone sales manager). also im sure with a degree they will at very least interview you. the Zone i work in is a union zone, so you do have to pay some dues, as far as, putting in time and learning the business.

edit: if you tell me the city in which you plan on working im sure i can find a contact person/number for you

apply via the website,call the 800 number,get you name in front of the the right people. keep calling . as a DSL in tampa, if you want the job you have to go for it. the ZBM waits,and waits until you call a lot to see if you have the resolve to want the job.sell yourself. move to tampa i'll get you a interview good luck.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:09 PM
BlackSpec02

cool, thanks for the info and tips everyone.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The place I work at is about to begin interviewing for another sales/marketing person. Send us an email or fax with your resume if you're interested:

www.vf-engineering.com