Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Ucla

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Amiricanmade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ucla

Who went/goes there and is majoring in Political Science or Communications? Do you like it? Easy? Hard?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:12 AM
tanman8181

Originally Posted by Amiricanmade
Who went/goes there and is majoring in Political Science or Communications? Do you like it? Easy? Hard?
I went there, graduated in 06. I majored in Political Science and Sociology. Political Science isn't hard if you like reading and writing papers . Communications is a good major (all the hot white chicks are in this major), but its pretty competitive. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
ginobetterfly

communications lol
Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't know why you're picking a major, you should not pick that major.

If your reason for NOT picking a major is "it sounds hard" then prepare to have a sh1tty job
Old 09-13-2007, 11:10 AM
izmir41500

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

If your reason for NOT picking a major is "it sounds hard" then prepare to have a sh1tty job
+1. nothing worth doing in life is easy.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
hidehide

Thats the right way to say about it.
However, in reality, i think more than 50%, if not 70-80% people ended up doing a job that is different from their major..
I would say choose an easy major, get a higher GPA, graduated from a high reputation university.. as you will have a greater chance to find a job after you graduated.. and then start from there since experience counts more than education..
Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
ginobetterfly

"Thats the right way to say about it.
However, in reality, i think more than 50%, if not 70-80% people ended up doing a job that is different from their major..
I would say choose an easy major, get a higher GPA, graduated from a high reputation university.. as you will have a greater chance to find a job after you graduated.. and then start from there since experience counts more than education..."

Yes, great advice lol

Be a music major, get the degree and go teach high school...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:52 PM
UHATEIT

Graduated there in 2006. There was a GRIP of people going there that took that major... it appeared that Political Science is a major for people who had no clue what they wanted to do and that was the "way out" or "fallback" major that they would do just so that they have a titled major and because it is easy, there is almost nothing you can do that would actually applies to that major. Best oppinion is to pick something else. But UCLA is a fun place, if you're lucky, try to get into the dorms! Those were some good times
Old 09-14-2007, 07:12 AM
geero

trojans rule!
fight on!

just had to do it
Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 AM
VashZ350

^^^^booooo SUC

Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM
geero

haha, its all good. nothing like friendly competition
Old 09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
UHATEIT

Originally Posted by VashZ350
^^^^booooo SUC

haha a fraternity at UCLA had a shirt with a Trojan condom logo on it and said: "A Bruin is good for LIFE and a Trojan is only good for ONE NIGHT!" hehe nothing like the competition between these schools
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 AM
nooooorb

Originally Posted by UHATEIT
Graduated there in 2006. There was a GRIP of people going there that took that major... it appeared that Political Science is a major for people who had no clue what they wanted to do and that was the "way out" or "fallback" major that they would do just so that they have a titled major and because it is easy, there is almost nothing you can do that would actually applies to that major. Best oppinion is to pick something else. But UCLA is a fun place, if you're lucky, try to get into the dorms! Those were some good times
This applies to a lot of students but not all. A buddy of mine graduated from UCLA with BS and MS in PoliSci. He's worked in various levels of government/politics from city government to state government to an internship in DC. If you've planned to be in that field well enough and that is what you really want to do, then you'll certainly be OK and it will not be a "fallback" major for you.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
UHATEIT

Originally Posted by nooooorb
This applies to a lot of students but not all. A buddy of mine graduated from UCLA with BS and MS in PoliSci. He's worked in various levels of government/politics from city government to state government to an internship in DC. If you've planned to be in that field well enough and that is what you really want to do, then you'll certainly be OK and it will not be a "fallback" major for you.

I agree very well put! If it applies to what you want to do it's great! But I remember lots of people using it as a fallback because they heard it was easy and had nothing else ion their mind, in those cases its pointless, but if you plan to use it for your career then by all means its good.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Amiricanmade

Thanks for the feeback guys. I was debating between Poli Sci at UCLA or Marketing at CSUF and i was leaning towards CSUF but just wanted to konw how you guys liked it. Thanks for the feeback.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hidehide
Thats the right way to say about it.
I would say choose an easy major, get a higher GPA, graduated from a high reputation university.. as you will have a greater chance to find a job after you graduated.. and then start from there since experience counts more than education..
I have to disagree again... easy major is still not the way to go unless you can be sure you will be in the TOP of your class.

Unless you have one of the BEST GPA's in your class, if you have a VERY popular major like Econ / Poli Sci (and generally, the "easier" majors are more popular) then you will have a lot of competition for getting into graduate school / law school / getting a job.

Remember the "easy majors" are popular not just at UCLA, but they are popular at cal state colleges, USC, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Riverside, etc. That's a hell of a lot of people who will have a resume that looks *identical* to yours. Therefore most of the time, the people with GPA of 3.7 - 4.0's will get their choice of job, grad school, law school, etc, and the people who got 2.0 - 3.5 will have a rough time.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 09-17-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Amiricanmade

I have to disagree again... easy major is still not the way to go unless you can be sure you will be in the TOP of your class.

Unless you have one of the BEST GPA's in your class, if you have a VERY popular major like Econ / Poli Sci (and generally, the "easier" majors are more popular) then you will have a lot of competition for getting into graduate school / law school / getting a job.

Remember the "easy majors" are popular not just at UCLA, but they are popular at cal state colleges, USC, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Riverside, etc. That's a hell of a lot of people who will have a resume that looks *identical* to yours. Therefore most of the time, the people with GPA of 3.7 - 4.0's will get their choice of job, grad school, law school, etc, and the people who got 2.0 - 3.5 will have a rough time.

Agree totally. I am over UZLA...CSUF it is.