Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

A close friend killed in a Hit and Run on the 405 North

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 PM
rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam, I was headed south around 3-3:30 and saw the north bound side stopped. Hope they find out who did such a horrible thing and left.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RIP to Garrett and my condolences go out to the Ogushi family. He was a year older than me. My sister's boyfriend was friends with him and went out with him friday night.

Last edited by dvo; 02-26-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Sergio07350Z

RIP He was so young too....Hope they catch the Driver.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Ken@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Wow sorry to hear about that, condolences to the family.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Promising young life cut short
By Larry Altman, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 02/25/2008 07:01:35 AM PST

A long day of fun was almost over.

Garrett Ogushi, fresh from a Saturday afternoon that included a Los Angeles Kings hockey game, dinner at a sushi restaurant, video games and an early morning meal at In-N-Out, was driving his four female passengers home.

"He always just made sure everybody was having a good time," said his 21-year-old sister, Lindsay Ogushi. "He always seemed to make everyone laugh and have a good time."

But in a flash, in a pouring rain on the San Diego (405) Freeway in Carson, a suspected drunken driver would get in the way of a safe drive home early Sunday morning.

In a moment, the 24-year-old man's promising life was over, his smile was extinguished, and a friend was undergoing

Garrett Ogushi surgery for serious injuries at a nearby hospital.
Ogushi apparently didn't see the disabled Honda Civic in front of him as he drove north on the 405 Freeway near Wilmington Avenue at 2:20 a.m., police said.

The car's hazard lights were out as it sat in the dark, blocking Ogushi's lane after smacking against the center divider.

California Highway Patrol officers later arrested the female driver on suspicion of driving under the influence.

After smashing into her car, Ogushi got out of his own Honda to check the damage and his passengers' well-being. He was killed seconds later when a car came along and struck him. Its driver continued on without stopping, leaving Ogushi dead on the highway.

"He's my only grandson," said Kayo Nakagawa at the Ogushi family's north Torrance home. "He was always a good boy."
Although the driver who hit Ogushi did not pull over at the scene, CHP investigators believe they know who was involved. A green Mercedes-Benz later was discovered abandoned at the side of the freeway, and a man and woman linked to it sought medical treatment for injuries. They are under investigation in the crash, CHP Officer Edward McElroy said.

No other details were available.

The suspected drunken driver, whose name was not immediately available, also is under investigation because her actions resulted in what later occurred, police said.

Friends and relatives on Monday filtered in and out of the Ogushi home, remembering a young man who enjoyed life, worked hard to begin a career as a physical therapist and took good care of his body.

"He was very active. He was very healthy," his sister said. "He was always working out, drinking his protein shakes, making sure he wasn't drinking any soda. I never saw him eat any junk food."

At 5 feet, 6 inches tall, he loved playing basketball with friends, watching the Los Angeles Lakers on television and rooting for the USC Trojans football team.

He recently began swimming, telling his family he was planning to swim across San Francisco Bay.

"He was never just home all day," his sister said. "He was always running around doing stuff with his friends."

A graduate of North High School in Torrance, he earned a bachelor's degree from California State University, Long Beach, and was working on a master's degree in physical therapy there.

A couple of years ago, he interned with the Los Angeles Avengers indoor football team, taping players' ankles and assisting the team trainer in treating injuries.

He worked with patients about the past four years at Advanced Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Physical Therapy in Hermosa Beach.

The patients loved him, owner Tim McCauley said.

"One of the best aides I've ever had," McCauley said. "Really had a great balance in his life. I would have trusted him with anything."

One of Ogushi's passengers, Raeann Sablan, 22, also works at the Hermosa Beach clinic. She broke an ankle in the crash and underwent surgery for internal injuries, McCauley said. The other passengers were taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

At Ogushi's house, where he lived with his parents, Joyce and Susumu Ogushi, votive candles line a garden bed on the front lawn.

Dozens of people lit the candles at a vigil Sunday night. They continued visiting Monday, filling a table with sandwiches and Japanese pastries.

"Our fridge is full of food," said Ogushi's 27-year-old sister, Kara Ogushi. "He had a lot of friends."

Ogushi recently purchased tickets to a Kanye West rap concert, and on Sunday was supposed to have gone to a tattoo convention with a friend, Robert Hamamoto.

"He always had a smile on his face," Hamamoto said. "He was like the brother I never had. He was just a good guy."
Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Asian Invasian

Im really sorry for your loss man, hang in there. My condolenses go out to you and his family.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Sleeper01

sorry to hear about your friend....may he RIP
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
2SwiFt29

i heard this story from my gf who knows Marguerita.. tragic story and my condolences go out to the family.. the person who killed him is a coward and will pay for this soon..