Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Let's talk tinting the front side windows

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 AM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk tinting the front side windows

In a FS thread here, the OP posted his windows - front driver and passenger window - were tinted with "CA Legal" 30% tint. A short discussion was started about how it was legal; I had always thought it was illegal to tint your windows- front driver and passenger- at all. Rather than muddy that thread up, I thought I would start a dedicated one.

Here is the complete vehicle code the OP cited along with the highlighted part that seems to indicate tinting is legal if it meets certain criteria. It seems points 1 and 2 contradict each other.... One says 88% and the other says 70%.

Also, it states a "clear, colorless and transparent" material.

This would seem to eliminate any "tinting" of the material. Again, seems contradictory..

California Vehicle Code 26708

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Profink

The way I'm reading this it seems that they make it next to impossible to "legally" install even transparent film that is only meant to block UV rays. #1 and #2 don't contradict each other as requirements 1-5 are all required. The catch to all this is #4 where you must carry a certificate signed by the installing company. There are a lot of requirements in this one and my guess is that most installation companies won't do this as they do not want to become liable for the film they install.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 AM
rglbegl

The law that forbids window tint actually (partially) has to do with having 2 rear view mirrors.
Once you tint a window, they consider it painted black. Since tinting your rear window would imply that your inside rear view is now non op, at least you still have the 2 side mirrors. So if you tint the side windows, now you have no mirrors. This is just another angle they can use to give you a ticket

Have you ever seen the people who tint only half the front window? Or they will make a little cut out next to the mirror. Now you know why they do it.

I have had 2 different friends (one in a Z) fight this one and win. But they only had a 75% tint on the front windows. Not dark at all

Last edited by rglbegl; 07-23-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i refuse to read that long list. but i agree, it is contradicting.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:27 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

That sucks that Lawyers can write up just about anything to favor them or the Law.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

I re-read the #1 and 2 items... and think I can understand what they are saying, but it doesn't change the fact it says the material must be:

"Clear, colorless and transparent"

Tinting is neither clear or colorless.

I sent a note off to my tint guy to see if he's ever heard of this.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
haeshik

didn't feel like reading the whole thing, all i gotta say is im tired of cops hassling me with fix it tickets so i decided to take off my damn tints!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Fooshe

The law is actually fairly clear if you take your time and read it. Basically you can't have tint on the front windshield, driver or pass windows except a factory install, blended tint within the glass itself.

The reasoning is actually warranted and quite simple. Tint causes you to change the way you view whatever you view through the tint. That distraction can be trouble.

Law enforcement does not care for it much due to the officer safety factor. When they have to approach a vehicle they don't know who the person is or if they will try to attack them just because they represent the law.

I go buy this rule, if someone can see in and it takes the sting off the sun, that's as dark as it needs to be. Let's face it, the only reason people put really dark tint on side windows is for vanity or style.

I will note one exception in that some people do have conditions that require them to have a great deal of sun protection for health reasons.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

Just got a message back from my tint guy. Here is what he said:

from the CHP website:

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

Here is a website that we tinters use:

California Window Tint Law

California Tint Law Enacted: 1999

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% (which is very, very light, virtually clear)of light in.