Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Looking to track my Z but have zero experience.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:40 PM
AML225

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to track my Z but have zero experience.

Hey guys I was wondering what you SoCal guys would recommend? I'm in LA (Marina Del Rey area) and want to track my Z but I have zero track experience.

Should I start by doing a school or are there local tracks where I can have someone experienced ride along with me?

How much does it cost and aside from making sure my tires/brakes/oil/car-in-general is in good shape is there anything I need to do?

Just looking for general advice for a newbie to tracking.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

start at autox then move to tracks is what i would do much more cost effictive and you learn wayyy better car control.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
AML225

I don't know if autocross is for me. I appreciate the input but I've always kind of had my passion in tracking. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise? I certainly don't know much at all about autoX.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM
solrchrgd

Default Speedventures.com

You might want to check out www.speedventures.com. They hold track events at Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Autoclub(California) Speedway. I went to the Buttonwillow event on a Friday a while back. I think i paid $150-$170. They have different classes from beginner to advanced. I think you get about 4-5 20 minute sessions on the track. You do need a helmet which you can rent. There are instructors that can ride with you to help on the track. It was definitely a bit intimidating at first but once you get to know the track it is great fun.

Bryan
Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

get some good tires, suspension and brakes...

i recommend toyo R1R's or R888
Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

+1 for speedventures. i've been runnin' with 'em for quite some time now. they actually have an event at buttonwillow which is suited for beginners. i think it's in mid november.

before you start pourin' money into a track machine, the first thing i recommend would be some good track pads, and DOT 4 fluid. the brake fluid is an absolute must, even if you don't track the car that often.

learn how to drive the car how it is first. concentrate on driving style rather than how a $2k coilover setup could improve your lap times. you will find the results much more satisfying.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Paulie35th350z

track days are fun... and addictive. My name is Paulie and Im a track addict

I do have lots of threads in the autocross/roadcourse forum here... just search my name here and my old threads.. lots of info.. I was once like you looking for some info on how to track the car.. and I kept trackin the car to the point that I won 2nd place unlimited class on a Nissan event Time Attack last year

Anyway, Priority is obviously safety. Speed will be your last. Safety involves control of your car and making sure that your car is in good track condition.

Race brake pads will be a good investment since one track day is probably all it takes to kill some OEM pads. It would be good to invest on track only race pads and (if you daily drive your car) keep your oem brake pads for daily use. Brake fluid will be a good investment

For tires, since you are a beginner, I would suggest keep your current ones. It is NOT a good idea to be a beginner at the track and have R compound tires on.

race brake pads would cost you 100-300 bucks all 4 depending on brand.
race brake fluid (high temp brake fluids)
helmet that is approved SA2000 at least: 150 bucks and up depending on brand
registration fee at least 125 bucks to 350 bucks depending on which track it is and which event organizer it will be

I can go on and on.. but I think it will be best if you go on my old threads for the information. There are also some pics there on my progress to keep you entertained hehe

Good luck on tracking your car. I hope to see you around when I get my car back out of hibernation

Last edited by Paulie35th350z; 11-02-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:42 PM
orangeflash

Originally Posted by AML225
I don't know if autocross is for me. I appreciate the input but I've always kind of had my passion in tracking. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise? I certainly don't know much at all about autoX.
Youtube.com
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Paulie
Thanks for sharing
Keep Coming Back
Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
AML225

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info so far!!

I'm not looking to do any modifications to my car just yet. I'm not interested in learning to track the Z specifically or creating a track monster but more in the theory and practice of high performance driving. I figure the Z is a great beginners car because it's very easy to drive and relatively well balanced.

Keep the info coming and don't worry about long posts, I like to read!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Paulie35th350z

like I said from my above post, search through my name here and my threads re: track days youll get more info on high performance driving events (HPDE) and such.

There are plenty of tracks in So Cal.

Buttonwillow which has plenty of configurations is REALLY fun.
Willow Springs has 3 tracks, big willow, streets, and horse thief mile.
Auto Club Speedway is also fun and really fast since you get to drive on the part of the oval track where Nascar run
I would suggest you go to beginner class and go ride along with instructors. The instructors are very knowledgeable with HPDE and tracking and they will teach you pretty much everything you need to know. Be a sponge and absorb EVERY info they tell you and you should be good. You can have em drive your car too and see what they can do with it
Old 11-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Dynasty.Zero

Man I would love to come out but my car is a street car and I don't think I want to suffer the potential engine damage (heat, stress, etc) that could incur if I tracked, even a few times a year. Not to mention all the extra track upgrades I would need, break, tires, etc.

I think I'll do some AutoX instead with my Z.

Also looking at picking up an old Miata or similar so I can beat on that at a real track.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 AM
booon

i would say for a newbie to driving your car really hard and its kinda your first time with a rwd, probably best to go autox. if you lose it there, you're only hitting cones instead of off the track and into dirt or worse. i wanna get into some autox later once i get some money saved up.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Nastyboy

Consider advise from only the people who have tracked their car before. Most other members have zero track time like yourself and will only regurgitate what they have heard and/or read, hence misleading you with information they do not fully understand themselves.

As Paulie has mentioned, search their names or just spend time visiting the track section of this and most any other forums ( i.e. g35driver.com )
Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 AM
sp_amend

I have 10+ track event experience and 0 autocross.

I'd try autocross and maybe I should have tried autocross first, cuz when I spun out at the track for the first time, I spun out like no one else. I didn't get hurt but I could have gotten hurt if it was at a hill or on uneven surface.

My thought is.. if you can learn how to control the car at lower speed with safer area, it might be better to start there.

If you decide to go to the track before autocross, like me,

I'd NEVER recommend using R-comp tires or coilovers on your first event.

The more speed, the harder it will be to control and to stay away from getting into an accident.

I'd totally stick with speedventures.

Pay for a full day instructor, and go from there.

Drink a lot of water at the track and remember that you are there to have fun to become a better driver, not to be driving faster than other drivers.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 AM
sp_amend

BTW, I'd totally follow Paulie35th350z's directions.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM
julian

see some of the posts here

https://my350z.com/forum/southern-ca...ng-school.html