Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Canyon Run on 10/12/03!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 12:29 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Scafremon
But after more thought, I think I am going to be the Silverstone staying at home.
Agreed. I'm staying out of this one as well. I'm aware of my limits and take precautions, but this is different when driving in a group of sports cars. I've met quite a few of you and while I consider the majority of forum members here mature and definitely have trust in those who I have met, it's still a public invitation and all it takes is one bad apple.

The meets we've organized here surprisingly seems to have always attracted a group that has had a very mature behavior compared to the various honda/toyota board meets that i've read horror stories about. Safety has been the only thing encouraged or pressured, and i've never seen any stupid stunts.

However, this situation, among others, has finally served as a wakeup call for me (and apparently others) that all it takes is for one attendee to lose common sense and lives can be lost.

I think i'm done with canyon meets for now, tho i'm still up for parked/dining meets where we can socialize and show off/share reviews on mods for the Z.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:49 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

To zxsaint and Scaf..I'll miss you guys..To all others..please take what these two members say and what I said in a previous post seriously...this is a fun run not a race..if your need for speed overwhelms you...please stay home.

I've only been on two runs where people have misbehaved and in both instances they were not driving Z's...let's all be safe out there and if your friends are bringing their cars pass these words along.

Thanks

A note to Jeff...sorry if you thought the first run was a little fast..maybe I'm too familiar with those canyons..I'll keep it down this time for sure.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:05 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm not going to let some numbskull racing at 100 mph on canyon roads while blowing red lights and generally being a jackass ruin my fun.

I've been to almost all of our runs and only saw one complaint about a Mustang owner riding the @ss of a Z owner. There was that incident involving a Z about September or October of last year in the same vincinity.

Yes, we should all recognize the importance of this tragic event and learn from it. But, I'm not going to let the moronic actions of another influence what I do for enjoyment.

Had we experienced similar conduct like the driver of that M3 on our runs, I'd consider staying home. But, to date, I have not met a Z owner who has acted as recklessly so as to endanger himself or another.

I'll be there this Saturday and hope to see you there. For those that are passing on this event, I'm sure we will schedule a non-canyon type get-together.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:46 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Originally posted by hfm

I'll be there this Saturday and hope to see you there. For those that are passing on this event, I'm sure we will schedule a non-canyon type get-together.
Dan...the run is Sunday 10-12...not Saturday

But I do agree that you can't give up what you love to do because of some azzholes...if I did I would never ride my bike again
Old 10-06-2003, 03:51 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AudioPat
Dan...the run is Sunday 10-12...not Saturday

But I do agree that you can't give up what you love to do because of some azzholes...if I did I would never ride my bike again
HaHa! Thanks Pat, for some reason I had Saturday stuck in my mind. That works better actually, I can get my car washed on Saturday and maybe pick up some new sideskirts.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:51 PM
grayfox

A ghost from the past....

Count grayfox (and boyfriend Rick) in as tentatives...=)

(now to convince the boyfriend to get up REALLY early on a Sunday)

/wave SoCal Z buddies =)

*edit*
Eeep! We can't go...I forgot we had something planned. You guys have fun and BE SAFE. =)

Last edited by grayfox; 10-06-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:10 PM
zeeing

I will truly miss those who choose not to come. May we all drive smart and reasonably, be concern for everyone else, and may no one be uncomfortable. An accident, no matter how small ruins the day for everyone. May we enjoy the company, our cars, and the wonderful SoCal roads.
Thanks Pat for your leadership, just the kind we need especially with a group this big.
I will drive my Z on Sunday!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, let's be safe out there this Sunday!
Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 PM
MastaKillaZ

sorry guys I'm outtie cause I'm working up north in SF... have fun and be safe
Old 10-07-2003, 06:34 AM
zman23

Default Directions

Hey guys and gals,
Since I'm not familiar with the area up that way, I tried the driving directions from the address Pat gave (872 New LA Avenue). What mapquest said that it couldn't find that address but searched the zip 93021. Let me know if these final streets look right to you guys on where were meeting?
Merge onto CA-118 W. 25.02 miles
11: Take the LOS ANGELES AVE/ PRINCETON AVE exit. 0.27 miles
12: Turn LEFT onto E LOS ANGELES AVE/ N PRINCETON AVE. Continue to follow E LOS ANGELES AVE. 1.40 miles
13: E LOS ANGELES AVE becomes E HIGH ST. 0.17 miles
14: Turn RIGHT onto MAGNOLIA ST. 0.07 miles
15: Turn LEFT onto CHARLES ST. 0.04 miles
16: Turn RIGHT onto N MAGNOLIA ST. 0.07 miles
17: N MAGNOLIA ST becomes VALLEY RD. 0.09 miles
Granted I'm coming from 405 going N.
Let me know if these are good enough to get to are starting area.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Grey Matter

Scafremon & zxsaint you will be missed (Scaf-I wanted to check out your car PC). I am going to just be carefull and stay in the back of the pack. It is all about enjoying the drive. If I am going to slow for others, I will pull over and let them by. No one should feel pressured to drive faster then they are comfortable with. I know that if I get to far behind I got my Nav to get me to the end of the drive and home.
Pat-I know that the resturant is the meeting point at about half way, but maybe we need a final point to make sure that everyone makes it through the canyons.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Zman23...from the 118 W take the 'New L.A. Ave' off ramp (This comes after L.A. Ave/Princeton)...head right and you will see Kohls on your left

When using Mapquest.com make sure you spell out the street name in your search or it will give you incorrect info as it did Zman23

872 New Los Angeles Ave
Moorpark, CA 93021

Duane...we will take care of this at Harleys

Last edited by AudioPat; 10-07-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:04 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

I drove most of the run today and have it pretty well laid out on paper for everyone...let's shoot for that 9am meeting and well have a Drivers Meeting at 9:15 and talk through the route..or at least the first section of it..so we can leave at 9:30

I'll have copies of this at the run for each car but in case you want a head start...

Simi / Santa Clarita Valley Canyons Run II

· 9:00 Begin at Kohls Shopping Center parking lot located at 872 New Los Angeles Ave, Moorpark, CA 93021
· Turn left out of parking lot and drive 1.6 miles to Moorpark Rd
· Turn right on Moorepark Rd. (you are now on Hwy 23)
· Follow all Hwy 23 signs to Ventura St. (Hwy 126) and turn right 11.4 miles
· Continue on 126 to I-5 North 19.6 miles (Once on 126 We will pull over to the shoulder to regroup if necessary)
· Take I-5 North to Lake Hughes Rd. 4 miles
· Turn right onto Lake Hughes Rd. and then left onto Castaic Rd and left into the Mac Donald’s parking lot (Potty Stop & Coffee)
· Exit Mac Donald’s and turn left onto Lake Hughes Rd and follow it to the top 23.6 miles
· Turn right on Elizabeth Lake Rd. and in about a mile you will see Harley’s Rock Inn on your left. Park along the road for lunch.
· After lunch we will continue on Elizabeth Lake Rd and veer to the right to stay on E. L. Rd. then veer to the right again to get on San Francisquito Canyon. You will drive approx 3 miles on San Francisquito to a stop sign. This is Spunky Canyon. Turn Left on Spunky for 5.4 miles or until it ends (whichever comes first) Some tight hairpins here…be careful
· Turn right on Bouquet Canyon (no sign…it’s a stop sign at the end of Spunky)
· Take Bouquet Canyon to Soledad Canyon/Valencia Blvd. 17.5 miles (Turning right onto Valencia will take you back to the I-5)

Last edited by AudioPat; 10-07-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:29 PM
iLLestJrz

This is even better. I just got Monday off of work... (Columbus Day)
Old 10-08-2003, 09:27 AM
unho

Originally posted by iLLestJrz
This is even better. I just got Monday off of work... (Columbus Day)

Columbus day?? do you work for the government???
Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm... thanks for reminding about the Columbus day. We can probably sleep in 10 extra minutes b/c we will have somewhat lighter commute that day.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:42 PM
OC_350Z

Looks like a great run, too bad I can't make it I'll be in India on business (like anyone goes there for pleasure) till the end of the month. Have fun, be safe and take lots of pictures

AG
Old 10-08-2003, 09:23 PM
iLLestJrz

Originally posted by unho
Columbus day?? do you work for the government???
Naw, just a Credit Union
Old 10-09-2003, 06:34 AM
levaris

Sorry guys, can't make it. Have to work the Long Beach Marathon all morning. Have fun and drive safe.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

How many people will be there? I'm trying to make it there. This is my first run.

Quick Reply: Canyon Run on 10/12/03!!