Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Considering move to L.A., advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:43 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering move to L.A., advice needed

I'm interviewing for a job that would require relocation to the Los Angeles area. I'm a little weary, just based on my perception of the cost of living. I'm in Chicago now, which isn't cheap, but before I move further with this job, I'd like to get some idea on how L.A. compares.

I've visited the L.A. area a few times and I'm sure the areas that I like the best are probably the most expensive such as Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Venice, Malibu. This job would be home office based, so I could pretty much live anywhere. However, I'd be traveling a lot, so proximity to an airport is required. I really prefer John Wayne to LAX, so I'm probably leaning towards Orange County.

I'm not sure if I'd buy or rent when I first get out there. I would probably be looking for a 2-3 BR townhouse with a 2 car garage. If I was going to rent, I'd be looking to spend about $1500-1600 a month in rent and if I was going to buy, I'd be looking to spend around $400,000.

So, are there any areas I should be looking? Are my ideas of cost and areas reasonable? Anyone here move from Chicago to L.A.?

Any input would be helpful.

It would be nice to never have to shovel snow again.

PS - I'm 35, single and love the movie Swingers if that matters.

Last edited by perfectlyfrank; 09-25-2003 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:19 AM
thumper90501

In your price range you'd be better off in OC. Average price of townhouse in Southbay (Hermosa Bch, Redondo, Torrance) is 450-550k and even as insane as 700+ for a townhome in Torrance!!! Leasing or renting a townhome will range from 1900-2300 in those areas. As long as you stay away from Irvine and Newport Beach, other OC areas will be much more affordable to live in (i.e. Orange, Rancho Santa Margarita, etc.)
Old 09-25-2003, 08:39 AM
BullishZ

I think you can find something reasonable in Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, etc.

But as Thumper said above, Newport Beach and Irvine are out of the question at that price range.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:58 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did a quick search on realtor.com for townhouses under $425k, 2 or more br and 2 car garage. There were a tons of places in Rancho Santa Margarita that looked really nice. Any downsides to this town other than being far from the ocean? Huntington Beach had quite a few also. That area seems nice since it's close to the ocean. Only one place in Newport Beach came up.

Here's just a few of what I found:

Huntington Beach
http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1029985746
http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1029378450
http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1030434181

Rancho Santa Margarita
http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1029508679
http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1030587792

Newport Beach
http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1030116670
Any other feedback is appreciated.

I just realized that I'll probably have to quit smoking if I move. It's going to take a while to get used to no smoking in bars.

Last edited by perfectlyfrank; 09-25-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:20 AM
BullishZ

Originally posted by perfectlyfrank
I just realized that I'll probably have to quit smoking if I move. It's going to take a while to get used to no smoking in bars.
No need!!! I know a couple bars where they don't care. They just don't supply the ashtray, since then they can get caught. But you just ask for some napkins, and put an ice cube or 2 on it to ash over.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:12 PM
wmchew

My daughter's roomate purchased a very small 2 BR 2car garage townhouse in Irvine for $330,000. Very nice area but very small too. I think it's only 900 s.f.. I would never get it myself but if you are into lifestyle and area, it's possible to find something like that. Good Luck and welcome to Souther Calif
Old 09-25-2003, 12:27 PM
myinfinitig20

there's a a 3bedrrom townhouse in my complex in dana point thats for sale..nice 180* beach view...i think they're asking 680,000 but i think you can talk them down..house is an investment
Old 09-25-2003, 01:20 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Originally posted by myinfinitig20
there's a a 3bedrrom townhouse in my complex in dana point thats for sale..nice 180* beach view...i think they're asking 680,000 but i think you can talk them down..house is an investment
That's a little out of my range, unless they would be willing to come down by about $300,000.

These look nice: http://www.calpacifichomes.com/homes/sage/#
Old 09-25-2003, 02:43 PM
thumper90501

perfectlyfrank....

Out of the areas you listed (HB, Rancho and Newport), I think HB is a good fit for price, comfort and quality...plus it's sort of inbetween Irvine and LA...

...more importantly HB is only about a 30min drive from Staples Cetner where as Irvine is 45-1hr.

Free Kobe...
Old 09-25-2003, 03:23 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I'd avoid buying for at least another few months. It's quite a seller's market for homes now. Gotta wait for those interest rates to spike, buy, then refinance later. I'm looking to buy a small home in a good location, but they're REALLY overpriced now. Some $300k homes 2-3 years ago have doubled in price.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

That could work out good. I'd sell my house here and make the company put me up for a few months while I look around. How bad is it getting from Huntington Beach to John Wayne airport?

I haven't even got the job yet and not 100% I'll take it, but I wanted to find out more about the area before I went any further in the process. I've got a second interview next week, so we'll see how things go.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys. If I do move out, I look forward to hooking up for some meets. In Chicago, our meets generally get put on hold from Nov-April due to non-Z-friendly weather. It would be nice to not have to worry about that anymore.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Horizon1

my parents just bought a house in Rancho Santa Margarita for about 450k, thats 3 bedroom, 2 bath...the vicinity can yield you some similar pricing...such as Mission Viejo. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:48 AM
SizongZ

Huntington Beach to John Wayne is not bad at all...probably somewhere around 10-20 mintues depending on traffic and other situations. Newport Beach is probably out of the question for looking for a home. All the houses there are a grip. Santa Margarita is nice. If you go south some more you can try Alisa Viejo and the surrounding areas. About 20 minutes south of John Wayne.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:06 PM
victory1

Originally posted by zxsaint
I'd avoid buying for at least another few months. It's quite a seller's market for homes now. Gotta wait for those interest rates to spike, buy, then refinance later. I'm looking to buy a small home in a good location, but they're REALLY overpriced now. Some $300k homes 2-3 years ago have doubled in price.

i agree, renting would be more ideal in your situation. once you've settled in, the you get more familiar and comfortable with the neighborhood, you can better choose a good home to buy.

good luck!
vic
Old 09-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Morphiend

I live in Southern OC and I know the area very well. If you want cheap you should look into Dana Point, or San Climente, you could buy a decent house for 175k (I think) in thouse areas.
If you are looking for a bit more upscale, check out Aliso Viejo, thats where I live, its pretty affordable for the area, growing strong, and close to Laguna Beach and Irvine, and freeways to get to LA or San Diego.

You should be able to rent a 1 bed for around $1100 in aliso viejo or $700 in dana point /San climente. My good friend just got a place he rents in San Climente for $1200 2 bedrooms and panaramic ocean view.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more info on the area.

Just read that you want a 2/3 bed townhouse. check out "City Lights" in Aliso Viejo, this place is AMAZING. you can rent a 1500sqf place 3 bed for like $1700 you dont get a garage, but you have multi level covered parking, and it is REALLY REALLY nice.
I think you can find a link at www.sheaproperties.com serously, check out City Lights, I am going to be moving there now that my credit is better, this place is SOOOOOOOOO nice.

Last edited by Morphiend; 09-26-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:14 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Frank...tell me this is gonna happen
Old 09-28-2003, 09:14 AM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Hey Pat, long time no see. Hope all is well.

We'll see how the 2nd interview goes and if the $'s workout, it just might happen.

If I do move out, I'm hoping you'll help me achieve my goal of dating an A-list actress. I'll expect you to put in a good word for me with every hot, young starlet that comes on the show. You can start with Katie Holmes.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:57 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Originally posted by perfectlyfrank
If I do move out, I'm hoping you'll help me achieve my goal of dating an A-list actress. I'll expect you to put in a good word for me with every hot, young starlet that comes on the show. You can start with Katie Holmes.
No Problemo (as our future Gov would say)

For a fee I can arrange for you to put their mics on backstage before they come out on stage
Old 09-29-2003, 01:57 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

I had the 2nd interview for the job today and have another one tomorrow. There is an industry trade show in Chicago this week, so I'm able to get all the interviews out of the way in one place.

It looks like the job pays a bit more than I expected, so I may be able to up my price range to about $500,000. Not that I need to spend that much if I can find a nice place for less. I may even be able to get additional money to cover the cost of living differences between LA and Chicago.

I'm trying to put together a list of other expenses that would be higher other than just housing. I've heard that the cost to register vehicles is going up a lot, is this true? I pay $78 a year per car in Illinois. I've heard that this could be several hundred dollars more in CA. What do you think it would cost for the A4 and the Z? I pay about $1800 a year in car insurance for both cars. (35, single, clean record with Allstate). Any idea if this would be much higher out there? Any other incidental living expenses that are dramatically higher in LA?

Thank again for all your help guys.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Frank,,,, I hope you are sitting down my friend...I just paid my registration this morning...

2001 Harley $359
2000 Maxima $363
2003 Z $721

Total $1443

THANK YOU GREY DAVIS.....YOU HAVE 8 MORE DAYS

Sorry...add to that a couple hundred more for my 1997 Explorer

Last edited by AudioPat; 09-29-2003 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering move to L.A., advice needed