Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Would like to become a sushi chef...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would like to become a sushi chef...

--(posting in the socal section to find socal chef)

I remember some time ago seeing someone on here that works as a sushi chef but i cant see to remember who in any case, as stated, Im interested in learning the fine art and hopefully landing a job as an actual chef to help ends meet while im in school. I am considering applying at a few restaurants in my area (laguna/dana point) but im not sure i would really stand a chance in this economy trying to land a job with zero experience.

Is there perhaps a school i can look into and gain some knowledge in the field that might give me a edge in landing a position? Or am i pretty much stuck in turning over application after application keeping my fingers crossed hoping to yield results?

thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"gsazabi" on here is a sushi chef. I remember asking him what he recommends when I first started liking sushi . Maybe he'll see this thread and can suggest a good school around here since he's local also. Good luck with this, and if you do become a sushi chef, please hook me up with some good sushi
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
TechnoBotz

No jellyfish sushi.. hahaha
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
haeshik

werd calin, kevin aka gsazabi is a sushi chef who hooked it up!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
reebok_I_3

i was a sushi chef about 2 years ago. did it for 3 years. i started off as a sushi helper/assistant. but even before that, it depends on the chef or the restaurant owner whether or not they want to take their time on you. if you dont work for them already, its gonna be harder to prove that youre determined to work hard and have what it takes. plus, a lot of places do not want to take the time to train someone thats only gonna be somewhat of a temporary chef. there are some schools that can teach you but from what ive seen, the things they teach is below average.

things i would look into is fish preparation, handling, maintaining freshness, and varieties of fish. knife control is also another thing. precise cutting is extremely important. cutting green onions/lemons/cucumber/etc....into small pieces is difficult and gets better with lots of practice. good sushi chefs will be **** about everything that you do just so you can perfect it. which is a good thing in the end.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:27 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

if schools are below average then that really isnt good... thanks for the tips... i will review this all more in the morning... good lookin reebok!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM
TechnoBotz

Is it fun and do you make good money as a sushi chef?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 PM
RRMikey

hey i'm sure it's all you can eat. hahaha.

m6 is gonna cut himself... i don't want none of the stuff he touches... you never know where his hands have been. jellyfish?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reebok_I_3
i was a sushi chef about 2 years ago. did it for 3 years. i started off as a sushi helper/assistant. but even before that, it depends on the chef or the restaurant owner whether or not they want to take their time on you. if you dont work for them already, its gonna be harder to prove that youre determined to work hard and have what it takes. plus, a lot of places do not want to take the time to train someone thats only gonna be somewhat of a temporary chef. there are some schools that can teach you but from what ive seen, the things they teach is below average.

things i would look into is fish preparation, handling, maintaining freshness, and varieties of fish. knife control is also another thing. precise cutting is extremely important. cutting green onions/lemons/cucumber/etc....into small pieces is difficult and gets better with lots of practice. good sushi chefs will be **** about everything that you do just so you can perfect it. which is a good thing in the end.
Good advice. But I would add to that that you need to wake up early to go to the market to buy the fish, depending on where you work, of course. Knowing what's fresh, what to buy, etc. Then, customer interaction is important, too. So all in all, it's an art.

I did it back in the day. I learned to cut turnip/radish into paper, then into thin strings, or tsuma, to use as backing for sashimi. I got so good at it I was cutting them up without even looking, while talking with someone. The owner of the restaurant, not the sushi chef who trained me, swore that I would cut myself but I never did. It was a good experience.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM
PrecisionZ
Sponsor
Precision Z Service

Yea but you also have 300+ dollar knives that can cut the food super thin. The average household knife won't cut it. I know Kevin has a 600+ dollar knife.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Zakira
Good advice. But I would add to that that you need to wake up early to go to the market to buy the fish, depending on where you work, of course. Knowing what's fresh, what to buy, etc. Then, customer interaction is important, too. So all in all, it's an art.

I did it back in the day. I learned to cut turnip/radish into paper, then into thin strings, or tsuma, to use as backing for sashimi. I got so good at it I was cutting them up without even looking, while talking with someone. The owner of the restaurant, not the sushi chef who trained me, swore that I would cut myself but I never did. It was a good experience.
yea i completely agree... this is something that i am ready to dedicate myself towards... i am awesome with customer interactions and i also know that with mostly anything japanese... (trained in Aikido for 9 years... ) becoming a sushi chef is definitely a art
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by TechnoBotz
Is it fun and do you make good money as a sushi chef?
from what i know and from what i have saw, being a chef is a very fun experience. i have a friend down in Palmdale who is a sushi chef at a pretty decent place called Big Tuna... he is making bank! but they trained him there. they get paid a pretty decent hourly and tips are pretty damn good. I guess as long as I dont try and live off my tips if i work as a chef in Long Beach i should be perfectly fine.... n!ggaz in the LBC refuse to tip yo

i think the key to making the "good money" is finding a place where the chef and customer interaction is awesome and very upbeat... saki bombs with the chefs n such sets the pace for a happening evening.

Last edited by M6SXTZ; 09-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

average starting salary for chefs in the dfw area is $24,000 + tips. so be prepared to work for cheap if you dont have any experience.
our first head chef made 48k + around 12k in tips.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by RRMikey
hey i'm sure it's all you can eat. hahaha.

m6 is gonna cut himself... i don't want none of the stuff he touches... you never know where his hands have been. jellyfish?
hahahaa gonna make mike a jellyfish roll with dragon sauce!!!

Last edited by M6SXTZ; 09-03-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexx
average starting salary for chefs in the dfw area is $24,000 + tips. so be prepared to work for cheap if you dont have any experience.
our first head chef made 48k + around 12k in tips.
yea im ready to start off at the bottom of the bottom... im not expecting to go and make anything near 48k and 24k would be perfectly fine for starting. im looking to soak up any knowledge i can.

where is the dfw area???
Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dallas Forth Worth...Texas, basically...

I would hope they pay chefs around here more since the cost of living here is much more expensive...you can buy a mansion in Texas for the price of a condo in LA...

Originally Posted by M6SXTZ
yea im ready to start off at the bottom of the bottom... im not expecting to go and make anything near 48k and 24k would be perfectly fine for starting. im looking to soak up any knowledge i can.

where is the dfw area???
Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM
TechnoBotz

hahahaa gonna make mike a jellyfish roll with dragon sauce!!!
lol... hey maybe talk to Jason. I remember him saying one of his buddies owns a sushi place but might be kinda far from you, i think its in alhambra or around there.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

bro i dont care where its at... i just need to start learning! ima hit him up now! thanks mikey! hey... wtf is up with the fish count?! i bumpd into some guy who said that its starting to crack!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 PM
TechnoBotz

few yellowtails showin up for 3/4 day but whats cracking is overnight trips. It looks like each angler is pretty much guarenteed a couple yellowfin tuna and maybe couple yellowtail/dorado/albacore in the mix... except for jason, he might get skunked.. lmao. I'm down for whichever, we can do the 3/4 day and then an overngiht trip?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Zenpato

--(posting in the socal section to find socal chef)

I remember some time ago seeing someone on here that works as a sushi chef but i cant see to remember who in any case, as stated, Im interested in learning the fine art and hopefully landing a job as an actual chef to help ends meet while im in school. I am considering applying at a few restaurants in my area (laguna/dana point) but im not sure i would really stand a chance in this economy trying to land a job with zero experience.

Is there perhaps a school i can look into and gain some knowledge in the field that might give me a edge in landing a position? Or am i pretty much stuck in turning over application after application keeping my fingers crossed hoping to yield results?

thanks
aren't u a little young for a midlife crisis???
Just hang out with the Mexican cooks in the back and you'll learn , that's how my pops did it. He used to work for a seafood distributor for a while and learned lots from the cooks.

Quick Reply: Would like to become a sushi chef...