Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Headers/exhaust install.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Badrun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers/exhaust install.

I have recently ordered Stillen headers and dual exhaust for my Z. i have stated before in my Noob thread that i am not the most mechanically inclined individual.

I live on base at 29 palms and we have a nice little "Do it yourself while we watch" auto shop and it is very nice with more than enough tools to get the job done.

Now for my question, should i brave the auto shop and risk doing it myself with help of others? or should i just roger up and spend the a$$ load of money to get someone else to do it.

i dont think id have any trouble with the exhaust ,its the headers i am more worried about.. i feel like i am getting in over my head on this one, any input/advice would be more than welcome.

I would really like to do the install myself because i would like to know more about my vehicle and how everything works. but if this is ill advised then i will just have someone else do it.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

you can always contact myfirst06350z he has done tons of cars for pretty good deals
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
fart_canon

I recently did my headers with the help of Bryna (myfirst06350z ) and boy let me tell that was a b!tch....The headers were the hardest to remove and re-install the nuts holding down the sides of the headers are unreachable. We did it the hard way. We should have lifted the motor up and work with the motor suspended in the air but we didn't so we had to pay the price.

good luck to you sir.

Originally Posted by Badrun
I have recently ordered Stillen headers and dual exhaust for my Z. i have stated before in my Noob thread that i am not the most mechanically inclined individual.

I live on base at 29 palms and we have a nice little "Do it yourself while we watch" auto shop and it is very nice with more than enough tools to get the job done.

Now for my question, should i brave the auto shop and risk doing it myself with help of others? or should i just roger up and spend the a$$ load of money to get someone else to do it.

i dont think id have any trouble with the exhaust ,its the headers i am more worried about.. i feel like i am getting in over my head on this one, any input/advice would be more than welcome.

I would really like to do the install myself because i would like to know more about my vehicle and how everything works. but if this is ill advised then i will just have someone else do it.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Badrun

thanks for the help gentlemen. ill shoot him a PM
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
m0nkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

header is one of the most annoying chit to install due to the small space.. I'd say install the exhaust yourself and take the header to the shop.. shops probably charge a good 300-400$..

but if u do plan on installing it, you should lift the engine out
Old 11-10-2009, 08:43 PM
08nogaroZ

+1 for DIY exhaust
Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Badrun

yeah i was thinking id do the exhaust myself, im pretty capable of that.. the headers are what im worried about. im talking to a few guys right now that are checking prices for me so it should be all squared away soon on wtf im going to do, thanks a bunch again everyone.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
fart_canon

hey OP since you are doing the headers and the exhaust, if your pockets permit it, get some high flow cats or test pipes while you are at it. It is gonna help you in the long run. Not to mention you can get it tuned right after that or after you get yourself the plenum and spacer.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Myfirst06350Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey. The stillen headers are the long tube so they can be quite a pain to do. But if there a few guys there that are car savvy I would save the money and do it with them. Im sure they have a cherry picker and all the right tools to get the motor lifted high enough. I know stillen makes it look easy on the install page on there site and I wish it were that simple. When I did Mario's car, and there were 4 of us, it took us about 6 hours to install everything.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Badrun

nahh the wallet will not permit cats or test pipes yet, that will be a next month thing... if everything goes well. so ill just stick with headers and exhaust for now.

thanks a lot for the help gents!