Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Costa Mesa area Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costa Mesa area Maintenance

This is going out to Bullish and the other Z'ers in OC. I am planning to take my car to Connell Nissan for a oil change. I took it there once.. it was okay, but I was wondering if any of you OC'ers have any suggestion for a better dealership in the area. I usually take my car down to Mossy Oceanside but, that is just too far. thanks for your advice.

Tenn
Old 10-24-2003, 08:17 AM
BullishZ

I usually always go to Connell, but I checked out Tustin Nissan yesterday for an oil change... just to check another dealership. So far, I've gone to Connell, Tustin, Douglas, and Corona...

Tustin was okay... Not at all better than Connell. I mean, they are both decent services. Neither are excellent by any standards.

However, I just can't justify driving 20-40 miles for excellent service, when good-enough is okay for an oil change.

Don't go to Corona... they put a pen-mark on my headliner. Blue ink about 2 inches long. Connell nissan detailed it out for me, free of charge.

If you go to Connell, talk to Mark Nutter. He is a Z owner himself.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

Sweet. I need a change pretty soon. Well, thanks for the advice and see you around town.

Tenn
Old 10-26-2003, 09:00 AM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tenn_SZ, I've used both Connell and Douglas in HB. For an oil change, I would say both are acceptable in term of quality of service. But here's the caveat. In addition to the service manage, make sure to speak with the technician who will be working on your car and coach him on everything you want or don't want done to the car in laborious detail. For instance last time I took mine in for wheel work, they put a torque wrench on the lugs and scraped the paint on the lugnut wells. It took a lot of elbow grease to get it off, so from now on when I take it in I insist that they manually loosen and hand torque everything. Also if you take it to Douglas, when they're done, unless you tell them otherwise, without telling you, they'll wash your car in the back and put that godawful crap on your tires. Some people might consider that a plus, but I regularly wash/clay/wax mine and I don't want anyone touching or washing my car except myself. Apparently some dealerships find this concept shocking. And I know this is going to sound ****, but out of necessity, I'm also getting in the habit of covering everything that CAN get greasy fingerprints on it (steering wheel, shift ****, door panels, etc.) before I take the car in. On the last oil change someone left an ugly thumbprint on the upper side of the passenger side visor. I didn't notice it until a couple of weeks later - can you say Murphy's law?

I know I’m jumping around, but on the topic of oil change, I've read that it's a good idea to replace the copper O-ring on the drain plug, as it is not meant to be re-used. It gets compressed when you tighten it. Costs less than a buck, so I'd just buy one and make sure they put it on.

Somewhat OT, but FYI Power Nissan just started carrying a full range of both s- and r-tune Nismo parts for the 350Z (everything is list price I think) and also offers install, but I for one wouldn't trust them if I had a 20 y.o. Sentra junker let alone my baby Z. For that kind of work, as you mentioned, I think your best bets would be either Performance or Mossy, both price-wise and service-wise.

Good luck and let us know how things went.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 PM
LowFuel

I have stopped going to Connell. They've made a lot of small mistakes with my car (like not using the Oil I brought them), getting lots of grease smudges on my interior (see avatar - custom interior), not getting things done on time, not calling when my car was ready causing me to be late for other appointments, etc.

I cant offer any alternatives. I've started taking my car to the dealer near my house instead (Mossy Oceanside).
Old 10-27-2003, 02:11 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by LowFuel
I have stopped going to Connell. They've made a lot of small mistakes with my car (like not using the Oil I brought them), getting lots of grease smudges on my interior (see avatar - custom interior), not getting things done on time, not calling when my car was ready causing me to be late for other appointments, etc.

I cant offer any alternatives. I've started taking my car to the dealer near my house instead (Mossy Oceanside).
whoa how did you find you they didnt use the oil you brought them?
Old 10-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

My parents live down in O'side and I usually go there but, I just don't want to make the drive down there. I know that sounds lazy but, I do a lot of driving and I have to evenually have to find maintenance in the OC. Oh well I'll go to Connell and Bi*ch and moan if I get screwed.

Tenn
Old 10-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

You guys are going to hate me, but I ended up going to Autobacs. Well their service is excellent. They ansewered every question I asked about my Z. And were friendly. Not to mention that an oil change w/ filter was only 14.99 for pretty much any non-synthetic oil. So, I tried them out. I figure I have to find a acceptable maintenance service. So, until I can go down to Mossy Oceanside. Autobacs for now.

Tenn
Old 10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
LowFuel

Originally posted by 350z4steve
whoa how did you find you they didnt use the oil you brought them?
It was still sitting in my trunk when I got home. :P

I called and pointed this out, and they said to just bring it back and they'd correct it, but since I'd already driven an hour home, I didnt want to drive an hour back. So I went to Mossy instead the next day and havent looked back.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:16 PM
time4aspliff

I don't trust dealers for service (except Performance Nissan). Autobacs is fine and you can drink free gourmet coffee in a cafe area that overlooks the service bays. However, they won't let you bring your own oil.

I personally go to a place called Newport Exotics in Costa Mesa-they're the West Coast distributors for KAAZ limited slip differentials. They've worked on several Z33's. The owner is a Japanese guy who's crazy about cars. They will pamper your Z. In fact, they've installed several KAAZ LSD's on 350z's that are set up for drifting and Speed Trial events. They also do complete concours quality restorations on rare vintage Ferraris, Buggatis, Mercedes, Aston Martins, Alphas, etc. (Hence the name, Newport Exotics) They are all about meticulous pampering.

They are located at 935-B Sunset Drive in Costa Mesa (pretty close to Harbor Blvd./Newport Blvd. Their phone # is (949) 631-0990. Ask for Ray. When they changed my oil, we chatted about 350's and performance cars in general-he knows his stuff. You're completely welcome to hang-out in the garage while they work on your car. Oh, they're also in the process of restoring a 1986 Corolla GTS (AE86). He popped the hood and I was impressed (full rebuild with high compression beefy internals and a Weber twin carb configuration). Very nice!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:58 AM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

Originally posted by time4aspliff
I don't trust dealers for service (except Performance Nissan). Autobacs is fine and you can drink free gourmet coffee in a cafe area that overlooks the service bays. However, they won't let you bring your own oil.

I personally go to a place called Newport Exotics in Costa Mesa-they're the West Coast distributors for KAAZ limited slip differentials. They've worked on several Z33's. The owner is a Japanese guy who's crazy about cars. They will pamper your Z. In fact, they've installed several KAAZ LSD's on 350z's that are set up for drifting and Speed Trial events. They also do complete concours quality restorations on rare vintage Ferraris, Buggatis, Mercedes, Aston Martins, Alphas, etc. (Hence the name, Newport Exotics) They are all about meticulous pampering.

They are located at 935-B Sunset Drive in Costa Mesa (pretty close to Harbor Blvd./Newport Blvd. Their phone # is (949) 631-0990. Ask for Ray. When they changed my oil, we chatted about 350's and performance cars in general-he knows his stuff. You're completely welcome to hang-out in the garage while they work on your car. Oh, they're also in the process of restoring a 1986 Corolla GTS (AE86). He popped the hood and I was impressed (full rebuild with high compression beefy internals and a Weber twin carb configuration). Very nice!

Spliff, sounds good. I might try them. Wow I feel like a service maintenance *****. Going around looking for a mechanic like some prostitue. Well I guess Anything for my Z . The coolest thing about Autobacs is that I can eye my car from above and see if they F up my car! I may sound behind, but they had the Nissan "factory (i think)" oil in the showroom.

Last edited by Tenn_SZ; 10-29-2003 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:30 AM
time4aspliff

Hey Tenn_SZ:

It's all good... We've all gotta help each other out... The cool thing about this board is that it's a forum for like minded Z freaks...

A little off topic but if you ever do make it out to that part of Costa Mesa, I've also got many recommendations for good grub as well (I'm also a food freak)...

For starters:

Taco Mesa on 19th Street (it's like the type of food they serve at 4 star resorts in Cancun at fast food prices).

There's an Argentinian pizza/pasta joint on Harbor on the left side right before you hit Newport Blvd. (The name of the place escapes me but really good eats)

Marukai Market/food court on the corner of Harbor and Baker (they've got cheap sashimi and sushi but I go for the Hawaiian Barbecue at a place called L&L)

Geez, I could keep going but it's probably more appropriate in separate thread...

Take care.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

Brent,

I have lived here in the OC (costa mesa) for about 2.5 mo. and good places to eat are always necessary. I have been to Marukai and the L&L is awsome. Chicken Katsu mmm.....! But I gotta try that Agrentinan pizza joint. sounds awesome. Taco Mesa sounds good too. I like going to Yardhouse in Newport for the late dining menu as well as the special price appetizers for Football fans (sat, sun and mon). Thanks for the info Z you around.

Tenn
Old 10-30-2003, 10:59 AM
time4aspliff

Right on!

I dig the Yardhouse as well. There's another place across the street called the Goathill Tavern (peanut shells on the floor & tons of different beers on tap). It's cool but sometimes it gets a bit too packed. I just tried a cool microbrewery that recently opened at the South Coast Plaza called Karl Strauss. They're based in San Diego and have tasty brew/grub and good happy hour specials. And yes, the chicken katsu at L&L is very good.

I've gotta get back to work but take care and keep up the good posts/threads.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Tenn_SZ
Banned

karl strauss is classy, I have been to the Costa Mesa one a couple of time and also the one in carlsbad. Hmm.. a my350z.com happy hour meet would sound good. well at least for the OCer's. well take it easy and I'll see yall around town.

Tenn