Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Good club/bar near UCSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:34 PM
kbomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good club/bar near UCSD

Any fellow UCSD Z owners around. I see a few Zs since i've been here. Just checking out the scene this week for vacation. Looking for a chill place to party and meet some new people.
I love this weather here. I miss my Z and wish I could of brought it over to drive around. Hit me up if u guys have time.

240-418-3597
Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UCSD Z owner right here...

How long are you going to be in SD for? If it's a little more than a week, you should definitely hit up Blue Batmobiles' Z/ Celica/ everything else car meet on Sunday February 15!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=57482

If you're in La Jolla (UCSD) there isn't much to do considering it's a yuppy upscale conservative university town.
From UCSD...
Get on the 5 south, stay on freeway for five minutes after a couple exits, EXIT Garnett Blvd. Take a right on Garnett then keep going and it'll be Pacific Beach or "P.B."
There you'll find an assortment of bars, clubs, coffee houses, hookah lounges, and eateries. That street is good on an average day and a little rowdy on weekend nights.

Everything is on one street:

Want some breakfast? Hit up "Broken Yolk"
A nice bar to chill at? "P.B. Bar and Grill"
Not quite drunk yet? "Margarita Rocks"
A nice hookah after the bar? "Sinbads"

Sorry about the slight showers that San Diego will be havin in the next day or so!

Enjoy your stay...if I didn't have midterms I'd take a fellow Z owner out. Oh well...

Good luck and welcome to S.D.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:41 AM
dczoner

Yep, PB is definitely the better scene than the UCSD area... But its not very low key, I mean you still have to get sorta dressed even though it is all beach-bars...
Old 02-03-2004, 07:53 PM
kbomb

Hey thanks guys. Im only going to be here for the week tho. wish i could stay another for the car show. I see people in their Zs here and I miss my car. im def take ur advice 350zephyr and checkout PB.
Is Gas Lamp area any good??
Old 02-03-2004, 08:14 PM
35oZephyR

Gaslamp area is a nice place to eat/ shop and go bar hoppin as well but it seems like an older crowd than the PB area.

Tip: If you do plan on going Downtown Gaslamp wear some nice shoes. Most of the nicer clubs/bars won't let you in with just tennis shoes. My buds and I learned this the hard way!

I know what you mean about the Z. I barely take mines out everyday because I park off campus (by the ocean) When I see one on my daily commute I cringe because I could be driving mines! I have punk kids in their Pontiac Fiero taking me on merges and I forget I'm in the daily SUV.

Anyhow...be safe... San Diego Police can be the most laid back department but if you go against their word or try to argue they'll hit you with EVERYTHING.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2004, 12:52 AM
SD350ZEE

PB kinda sucks, but if you're into the meat market, by all means. If you want a little more chill back atmosphere and are into electronic music, lemme know.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:28 PM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by SD350ZEE
PB kinda sucks, but if you're into the meat market, by all means. If you want a little more chill back atmosphere and are into electronic music, lemme know.
Shoot... let ME know! What chill back electronic music place are you talking about? I'm interested...

I'm a chill type of guy too and get tired of the whole Marines hittin on scantly clad blondes down in P.B. scene. *no offense* Fun to go there every once and awhile but I rather hang out on a regular basis.

Inquiring S.D. local wants to know: What are some "chill back atmosphere" type places you're referring to?
Old 02-05-2004, 11:15 AM
nooooorb

Sushi & Bar - Try Cafe Japengo. It's right next to the Hyatt on La Jolla Village Drive.

For some great clubs & bars, I'd say hit the Gaslamp Quarter.

For a great breakfast (do what 35oZephyR said) and check out Broken Yolk.

For some half-decent Chinese food on-the-go, try Chung King Loh at Price Center - if they're still there that is. God I miss that place.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:36 PM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by nooooorb

For some half-decent Chinese food on-the-go, try Chung King Loh at Price Center - if they're still there that is. God I miss that place.
I go to UCSD but...what the heck is that???

They probably switched it out to one of the fast food chains. (Wendy's, Panda Express, Subway...)
I guess alot's changed in the last few years. UCSD is getting a Sushi bar where the pool hall/ game room use to be in Price Center.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:10 PM
SD350ZEE

If you wanna join the ******** drama, sdravers.com has an interesting community and always has a big list of upcoming events, none of us are really ravers but we still like the music hehe. There's two good events happening this weekend. Head to Tivolis on Friday after 9pm. It's on 6th and Island Downtown. And there's a party on Saturday at Recognize on El Cajon Blvd.

Our next event is on February 7th, 2004. Synthetic monthly. This will be our biggest night yet! Featuring... Nicholas Bennison (Propulsion Records, LA), The Cuban (The Forces of Light, SD)SPECIAL LIVE PA!!!, Jon E Thin (Alaris Records, 4486, Equinox, SD), and Jeff Kolbash (4486, Equinox, SD). Special performance by Fire Tribe Ent. (FTE, SD). Lighting by Capt'n Insaneo Lighting. This event is 21+ and will go from 8pm-2am. 5$ for the first 30 people through the door. 7$ for the next 30 people. 10$ after. Located at Recognize. 4746 El Cajon Blvd. San Diego. For more information, visit globaltrancemovement.com or call 619-819-6498.

I'll be at both. Look for a tall guy with a Che Guevara hoodie on.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:47 PM
nooooorb

Originally posted by 35oZephyR
I go to UCSD but...what the heck is that???

They probably switched it out to one of the fast food chains. (Wendy's, Panda Express, Subway...)
I guess alot's changed in the last few years. UCSD is getting a Sushi bar where the pool hall/ game room use to be in Price Center.
Hmmm... I guess it's gone now. It used to be at the south end of Price Center, close/next to the bathrooms, nearest to the stairs going to the bookstore. Man, I gotta visit the place again one of these days.

WHAT? They got rid of the game room and pool hall? That is just so wrong. Any other changes you wanna update me on? I haven't really been around there since I graduated in '97.

Any of you UCSD-ers up for a short meet? One of these weekends maybe.

Last edited by nooooorb; 02-08-2004 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:56 PM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by SD350ZEE
If you wanna join the ******** drama, sdravers.com has an interesting community and always has a big list of upcoming events, none of us are really ravers but we still like the music hehe. There's two good events happening this weekend. Head to Tivolis on Friday after 9pm. It's on 6th and Island Downtown. And there's a party on Saturday at Recognize on El Cajon Blvd.

Our next event is on February 7th, 2004. Synthetic monthly. This will be our biggest night yet! Featuring... Nicholas Bennison (Propulsion Records, LA), The Cuban (The Forces of Light, SD)SPECIAL LIVE PA!!!, Jon E Thin (Alaris Records, 4486, Equinox, SD), and Jeff Kolbash (4486, Equinox, SD). Special performance by Fire Tribe Ent. (FTE, SD). Lighting by Capt'n Insaneo Lighting. This event is 21+ and will go from 8pm-2am. 5$ for the first 30 people through the door. 7$ for the next 30 people. 10$ after. Located at Recognize. 4746 El Cajon Blvd. San Diego. For more information, visit globaltrancemovement.com or call 619-819-6498.

I'll be at both. Look for a tall guy with a Che Guevara hoodie on.
Thanks! I'll probably check that out. The only events they have like this up in the L.A. / Orange county scene have too many highschool kids. Nothing against them but the maturity level and scene is kinda off when you have too many youngins roaming about!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:07 PM
35oZephyR

Originally posted by nooooorb
Hmmm... I guess it's gone now. It used to be at the south end of Price Center, close/next to the bathrooms, nearest to the stairs going to the bookstore. Man, I gotta visit the place again one of these days.

WHAT? They got rid of the game room and pool hall? That is just so wrong. Any other changes you wanna update me on? I haven't really been around there since I graduated in '97.

Any of you UCSD-ers up for a short meet? One of these weekends maybe.
Actually, I think they are integrating the Sushi bar into the game room. Kinda like a cafe/ lounge with pool tables and sushi bar. It should be pretty nice because they're totally revamping and doing that nice contemporary IKEA thing. The Price Center has turned into a Mall style food court. I guess all the concerts and growing student population has urged all the franchises to plant themselves there.

It's too bad you can't make it to Sunday's meet this coming weekend. I'm sure after this one they'll be a series of San Diego meets following... hopefully we'll gather some UC folks there.

Congrats on the baby though...I can imagine you gunning to the Hospital in that Z when the time comes..
Good luck and be safe!

Old 02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
nooooorb

Thanks for the wishes. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. The baby should be coming this Thursday (we think). It's a boy...

I hope to meet you some of you Tritons one of these days.