Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Just Bought a Z!!!!!! Stick Driving Tips Please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 06:44 PM
youngn1m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just Bought a Z!!!!!! Stick Driving Tips Please...

Just picked up 04 PPW enthusiast model and i love it...so much power.....
I have driven my friends' cars that were stick, but still not too smooth on the shifting.
I was wondering if you guys can help me out by sharing any stick tips that you may have....esp. on hills......Thanks,....
Old 03-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Rushguy

Default Re: Just Bought a Z!!!!!! Stick Driving Tips Please...

Originally posted by youngn1m
Just picked up 04 PPW enthusiast model and i love it...so much power.....
I have driven my friends' cars that were stick, but still not too smooth on the shifting.
I was wondering if you guys can help me out by sharing any stick tips that you may have....esp. on hills......Thanks,....
On hills if your like say at a light stopped and going uphill. Just rev a lil bit and let the clutch out slowly as you give gas and you won't have to worry about slipping back or stalling. Lots of people get nervous and give lots of gas then let out the clutch either too fast and lurch forward or don't give enough gas and slip backwards before getting momentum. If you really wanted to on a flat surface you could let the clutch out slow and without even giving any gas you would take off nice and slow in first. You develop confidence over time, going into a big empty parking lot and practicing never hurts.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Janus

The Z was my first manual transmission car.

However, about 3 months before I bought it, I borrowed my friends truck and went to a parking lot.

First I just put the car into first with the parking brake on and let out the clutch until I could get the hang of how far I had to let out the clutch before the power was transfered from the fly wheel to the wheels. You'll notice the rpm drop at the correct point where transfer begins.

I did this until I could let out the clutch at exactly the point where power started to transfer.

Next, I just put the car into 1st and let out the clutch without using the gas until I excelerated. (Not using parking break now.)

I did this for 1st to 4th. (4th was hard =P) until I was comfortable.

Lastly, I just practiced shifting gears (while going in circles) until I could do it comfortably.

Then I drove my friend home in his truck.

All told took about an hour and half to learn how to drive stick.

I kind of picked up down shifting, rev matching from talking to my friend after I got my Z.

I still need to learn what exactly double clutching is... ( I think it has to do with rev synching....)

Janus
Old 03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best advice I can give is to tell you to try to get used to your clutch's catch point. Once you have that down your shifts will be a lot smoother. I wasnt too comfortable driving mine until I was able to do this. Its tough to get going when you think you are letting the clutch out but are still in its dead zone.

In addition, the Z likes for you to rev match on your downshifts!

....and dont downshift in to first if the car is moving!

ok thats all for now...
Old 03-30-2004, 09:40 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I would read these to get a better understanding from a technical standpoint:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

Never hurts!
Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 PM
youngn1m

Thanks guys for the tips....i just got back from a parking lot and I feel much more comfortable...before i was overreving a lot but now that i got the "catch point" i no longer overrev...
I am sooooo tempted to go fast....but i should keep it under control cuz i only have 100 miles on the car....
Anyways...all of your tips are very helpful and appreciated....
Old 03-31-2004, 08:56 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default Be Careful!

Originally posted by youngn1m
Thanks guys for the tips....i just got back from a parking lot and I feel much more comfortable...before i was overreving a lot but now that i got the "catch point" i no longer overrev...
I am sooooo tempted to go fast....but i should keep it under control cuz i only have 100 miles on the car....
Anyways...all of your tips are very helpful and appreciated....
Be VERY careful! Take our time until you are VERY comfortable and don't even think about going fast.
The way I was taught how to drive stick was to think of the gas and clutch like a balance scale. As you press one pedal in, you release the other pedal an equal amount and vice versa. It's not precisely like that, but it will get you into the hang of things a little faster. At least... it did for me

-Chris
Old 03-31-2004, 09:24 AM
BullishZ

Well, looks like the members here have already pointed out some great advice. I don't have too much to add to that, but just wanted to commend you on purchasing a 6speed Z even if you had to learn how to drive it!!! I never understood why the Z is even offered with an auto tranny. No offense to anyone with auto!!! But just not for me!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 AM
n8vz

My Z is my 3rd stick, (2nd nissan stick). After learning to drive stick in an E36 BMW 10 years ago, i have to say that Japanese clutches are generally easier to drive. The trick is to "feel" the clutch disc as you re-engage the clutch be slowly releasing the clutch pedal.

have fun
Old 03-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

Hardest Manual i ever drove was a '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT... (actually the clutch was the only hard thing, the rest is actually easier than others... you have to press hard on that clutch like a biatch... )
Old 03-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Bertg

Congrats! Just keep on practicing and driving stick will be so easy you won't even think about it when you're driving.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:50 PM
rogerudc

This is my 4th clutch car owned, but I have driven many and I must say that 1st gear in the 350Z had the most learning curve out of any car I've driven (next to the ZO6). Just when I would have 30 smoove shifts (from 1st) under my belt I would let out a jumpy start, revealing either inconsistencies in the clutch catch point or in the way my brain is hardwired from previous cars.

I'm almost at 400mi on my new Z now and its all second nature. Can't wait to exceed 4000rpm in 800 more miles.

Last edited by rogerudc; 03-31-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Yuichi

Talking

My Advice....

Get out of So Cal!! Stay away from all the highways and traffic

Sorry had to say that. Once Nissan Headquarters gave me a new proto car to drive that was stick. I swear I stalled it 3 times just from my knee giving out hanging in traffic for 3 and half hours.

Never got the car above 65! Man if it wasn't for the traffic. I would live in So cal right now

zya!
Yuichi
Old 03-31-2004, 09:28 PM
youngn1m

I took some pictures while letting the car cool off.... i was practicing at my work parking lot....

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bri...bum?.dir=/cbd8
Old 03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
n10zt

If you really wanted to on a flat surface you could let the clutch out slow and without even giving any gas you would take off nice and slow in first. You develop confidence over time, going into a big empty parking lot and practicing never hurts.
This is how I would normally teach a complete newbie. Concentrate on letting out the clutch ONLY on an empty parking lot several times to allow yourself to learn the catch point.

Congrats on your new car and keep in mind that the next step is proper and timely clutch release for a sub 2.0 60 ft launch.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Ryan Davis

In time when the car starts to "break in" it will naturaly start to feel a little more smooth. However at that point you probably would have gotten very use to it. Parking lots are great but you should also take it on the freeway late at night when nobody is out to know what it's like at freeway speeds and having to shift getting on and off the ramps when slowing to service roads and comming to a stop at a light. Practice around the same area (making u-turns back on and off to the freeway) then expand your distance. Take care of the Z and it'll for sure take care of you. Congratulations. By the way, does anyone know what the "break in" is on the Z's?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Ryan Davis
By the way, does anyone know what the "break in" is on the Z's?
Nissan recommended break-in is 1,200 miles. That is subjective to individual members of the board though
Old 04-01-2004, 08:06 AM
rogerudc

Default break in

Originally posted by yobri
Nissan recommended break-in is 1,200 miles. That is subjective to individual members of the board though
Thats what I'm going by, as I have no other reference. Do you or know of anyone else on this board who has other ideas? What are they?

Thanks