Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

DFW: Just wondering.. (DRAG RACE 8/15/08)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

That's fine, man. I hope to see just one other person from the boards. I'm about to leave right after I take care of some forum business.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Zetta33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got home from work, but I will be heading over there so if anyone wanna meet PM your number Ill give you a call
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
trentor

it was a gorgeous night...surprisingly cool but a little humid.

Considering the G weighed in at 3625 with me in it, and it has some crappy Turanza tires, I'm actually pretty happy with how I did on my first time to the drag strip.

60' - 2.290
1/8 - 9.444 @ 76.71
1/4 - 14.522 @ 96.91
Old 08-16-2008, 01:16 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Well, I'm very very very disappointed in my times. I was all over the place, the DRs did NOT hook worth **** off the line and spun in 2nd, my street tires wheelhopped everywhere... a tremendous disaster, if you ask me. My times are not worth mentioning, so don't even ask. If only the DRs hooked, I could've actually achieved mid 12s like I should've (had hopes).

I'm probably not going back to the track until I get slicks. There's no need to put miles on my car, waste my gas and money to spin and wheelhop all over the place, not to mention the sh1tty times I was getting.

On the other hand, it was cool seeing some of the other members there. That never happens.

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 08-16-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you just post times anyways, how bad were you possibly doing? Worst then your N/A times? How was your 60ft and all?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

If you were there, you'd know.

I don't want to disclose my retarded times - for the most part, they all sucked ***. Like I said, all I did today was test how much bounce I can get from my rear suspension and see how much of slippage I can get from the tires.

The best runs of the night are similar to that of the last time's best. Those runs are faster than my best N/A runs on slicks, of course (even though I was on street tires). I have too much power for street tires apparently. The DRs I borrowed are useless also. I think they were heat cycled wrong or stored improperly, hence the lack of traction. The runs where the launch didn't get jacked up by wheelhop or wheelspin, I was running in the low to mid 13s.

Conclusion: Until I can get another set of slicks, I don't need to be at the track. Once I get a hold of some slicks, it's time to break **** again.

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 08-16-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 AM
quakerroatmeal

What kind of 60ft times were you pulling? I don't get why you never want to post your "retarded" times. Who care if they're retarded I just want to see which part you did horrible in.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

The best 60' of the night was a 2.123. It was a shitty launch, but that was all I could muster given all the uncontrollable variables. I was doing decent N/A. On the juice, though, I'd have too much power so I'd spin or hop resulting in 60' as slow as 3.3 (when I just gave up after spin/hop and took it real slow off the track).

No offense, but they're my times and if I don't want to share then that's my prerogative. My best runs aren't slow, don't get me wrong, especially given the circumstances, but I just don't think they're worthy of mentioning since I know I should've ran 12.6-12.7 last night. I have no problems sharing with the people at the track though, especially since they run with me. I'll tell you that my slowest run of the night was a 21s run, since I gave up after spin/hop at the launch.

Frankly, I'm tired of people saying they're going to make it and blah blah. I don't even expect them to come anymore, so if and when I see some VQ owners at the track that always surprises me (I saw 3 last night). And I don't see why I need to share any info with regards to my runs if I don't ever see another person out there. Why help people when they won't even make one single trip? I have no problems helping/sharing in other things, though. You want to find out what I'm running, then come find out at the track.

I may sound like an ***, but after 3 years of no interest from the locals, I've lost interest in helping them out with drag racing until I see them there.

edit - For those who came, thanks for coming. I hope you guys had fun. I know I didn't. If your times weren't what you wanted, don't be discouraged. Like anything else, this takes practice. I've not been to the track much this year so I've noticed that I was a bit off, too. I hope to see you guys there again.

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 08-16-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 PM
quakerroatmeal

I don't get why you are so hard on yourself anyways. If you don't like to share your times then be it, sure I may not be able to help you (since you obviously have a lot more experience then me) but I am just curious of where you were having problems (ie. 60ft times, trap speed etc). It's pretty hard for people to make a 80mile trip just to go to the closest 1/4 track, like I said if they were opened on weekends I would of definitely went. But work is work and I cannot have any days off nor call in any days (called in all last year now I have to make it to work everyday sucks). You sound discouraged yourself really. Take it easy. Wasn't it all about having fun?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I see your point. However, you have to realize that the way I achieve my times are by being hard on myself. If I was content with a 14.0 second run that I pulled on my first time out there ever, I never would've gotten to the point of 13.2 n/a. I race against my own times and that's the only way I see myself having the competitive edge enough to constantly beat myself and strive to do even better.

I'm not asking anybody to help, especially since I know that I probably have more drag strip experience in the Z more than all of the local members combined. I was asking other members to come out just once or twice. Have fun and see what it's about. People always ask how did you do or what did you run or whatever, but why the interest if you're only going to lie about showing up? I'm not blaming you or anybody else. I'm just saying that if you don't want to be there, that's perfectly fine, but don't tell people you're going to be there when we all know you're not coming. Basically, don't lie to me.

I do realize that it is far, but I can guarantee that I drive further to get there than most (since I'm usually up in Sherman for school which is 10 minutes away from OK). I also realize that people have other priorities, like work or unforeseen circumstances, but when they tell you over and over that they'll be there then at the last minute give you some bullsh1t excuse over and over, I'm going to get tired of your excuse and won't believe you any longer.

All I ask is that if you're going to show interest, be genuine about it and come and don't lie about how you're going to go.

BTW, I do have fun. I have more fun when I beat my times, though. And I have more fun when I see others there competing against themselves (or each other) to improve on their time, as I can see the satisfaction on their faces when they beat their previous runs.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:24 PM
quakerroatmeal

I forgot, you are the one who is tough to pleased, my mistake . It is true that a lot of people do flake which sucks.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I'm not even sure what that even means, but ok. I like having a competitive edge and not being content with mediocre runs is one way to keep that mindset.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:15 PM
quakerroatmeal

Having a competitive edge is one thing, but just cause you didn't run what you expected/feeling embarrass it seems with your times and not posting them is one them (you should know you run better times then 90% of the people on here even if they are crappy to you). All in all, it's just a number, if you don't want people knowing that is fine. I'm going to start going to kennedale within next month or so and get practicing so hopefully we can go to the real track one day. I'm done it seems like we are arguing which isn't what I intended to do.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
trentor

Chris, it was great seeing you out there. was the black Z someone that's here on the board as well?

in comparison...my first run was 15.243 @ 94.79mph w/ a 2.408 60'. I think bringing that down to 14.522 @ 96.91mph w/ a 2.290 60' in only 6 runs isn't too bad. It's not great, but I'm pleased.

I know what you mean about competing with yourself. I can see how this would get more and more addictive the more you do it. I doubt I'll get down there very often, but I definitely would like to try again once I get some decent tires put on the G pretty soon. maybe I'll be able to swing getting the mrev2 and a spacer too, but that might have to wait until next year. do they have these open events in any other season, or just summer?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
GolfinZ

I wish I couldve made it...I couldn't get off work. I need to get the Z06 out there to she how she does in stock form. Chris Im with you on slicks...I will need them too...with slicks you have a smaller chance of breaking things.

Sorry to hear about your runs...the air in Waco was pretty thick (aka with some moisture) so that couldve "helped" your times lol
Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Again, I don't know why you keep insisting on knowing my times. It has no bearing on you whatsoever. If I asked you something and you said "no," I'd stop. And you're right, I do run better times than most people on here, but the way I view others' times vs. mine are very different (more critical toward my own). I've ran faster than most people on this board on street tires with less mods. It's just annoying since you keep insisting on finding out my time, to which I've said no.

You asked which part of the runs I had trouble with. I've said it multiple times that the launch was what f*cked me up over and over and over and over and over again. I even gave you a range.

For the record, I wasn't arguing. You kept asking and tried to "convince" me to tell you something that I don't want to for my own reasons, so I kept refusing. I just don't understand why you're so set on finding out information that doesn't pertain to you in any way. If I don't want to share then that's that.

You want something from me, then show me that you're willing to give up the time to come to the track by being there. There, I'd be glad to share any and all information along with helpful hints, if necessary, on how to improve your times.

Trent,

Yeah, the other guy's on here too - Zetta33.

You showed great improvement and did very well for your first time out. I hope to see low 14 runs from you, which I know shouldn't be too hard for you. Better tires will definitely help, though.

Yeah, it does get addicting, until you peak. Then you gotta find a way to cheat and beat yourself again.

Good thing about the drag strip (and other motor sports as well) is that you can actually see your mods working. That is, you can see the power increase and how much they affect your power/torque band on the track, instead of looking at a graph that an inconsistent (with respect to repeatability and dependability) machine spits out.

They open in March and end the test and tune days in August, it seems. I was pretty sure the 2 previous years before this one, they had test and tune days until later into the year. I have timeslips from like November from previous years. I guess they don't make much on test and tune days like they used to.

I'm hoping to have proper tire set-up by next year, so I'll hopefully be there the first test and tune day the track holds with slicks.

Brian,

It's cool. Work comes first. After all, you gotta pay to play and the entrance fee doesn't pay itself.

You haven't gotten your *** to the track in a while. With your new Z, I still recommend going there bone stock as is first. See what you can muster up. Your power band isn't instant like the nitrous is, which shocks your tires, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time hooking up. It'll still be hard, regardless, with all that power, though.

If and when you get slicks, let me know. I still remember the first time I launched on them. It's probably one of the coolest feelings and the sound that they make is awesome. I'd love to see that beast just take off without even a hint as to a chirp.

It's ok about my runs. They're not bad. I'm just not satisfied with them. I'll update my sig accordingly when I pull a run I like. You already know my previous best run, though, I think.

Last edited by 3hree5ive0ero; 08-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:12 AM
GolfinZ

Ya I remember your best run...my mouth dropped when I saw the time Are you spraying off the line? If so, change that and lock first gear out so you can hook.

I know I haven't gotten down there in a while, I will though here very soon since school started back up so Ill have some time(Ive only got 9 hrs left of grad school then I graduate)
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

I spin or hop as soon as I get into 2nd or if nitrous kicks in in 2nd. So, first 2 gears seem to be useless. BTW, I'm not spraying at like 5k in 2nd to reduce wheel hop/spin. I might as well just run N/A.

What kind of slicks are you thinking of getting? Size, fitment, brand, etc?