Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

350z UTEC comments from TurboXS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Midnyte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnyte
Did this only affect the last batch?...or maybe a better question is when did people start noticing it. I recieved my UTEC a few weeks ago and have not installed it yet. I'm just wondering if it will be worth the time/trouble/money to install it now...or if I should just wait until Jermaine and crew find the solution. Is there any chance that it will not be affected?
As I said earlier...I have an 03 and just got my UTEC a few weeks ago. What are the chances that it wont be affected? I just dont want to install it to have to pull it right back out.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:43 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
I suppose it's fair enough not to mention specific misunderstandings in this thread, but what I don't get is this: "The only hold up was the last set of UTEC's I am not confident with to travel overseas and possibly have a situation". What exactly is meant here? Does this mean you weren't confident with the UTECs or with travelling with the UTECs with you? I am not going to turn this thread in a beating towards TurboXS, but I believe nothing was mentioned to us here on the italian group buy either. Any thoughts? Nevertheless, it's good you bring this issue up here because it shows good customer service, as Bill mentioned. s**t happens I suppose
I'd be more than happy to answer this in email. But the short of it is, I dont have UTEC's to bring to the UK or Italy.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Midnyte
As I said earlier...I have an 03 and just got my UTEC a few weeks ago. What are the chances that it wont be affected? I just dont want to install it to have to pull it right back out.
I'd recommend installing it whenever you get the chance. If you have any questions or difficulties give me a call.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 AM
350Z_LMS

I always think it's in everyone's best interest to iron things out, avoiding misunderstandings. after all it would still mean business over here too. I'll email you
Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
NYC_G35C

just so that i'm clear on what you're saying Jermaine...

basically there is some gremlin in the UTEC firmware that is causing upper RPM power to tank on some of the 350z UTECs...

and that, until you guys isolate and fix the issue, you WILL NOT be shipping anymore 350z UTECs?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I personally think, as both business associates and personal friends with Jermaine, he has gone above and beyond his job duties in trying to resolve the issue with some of our units. This includes phone conversations on his personal time at 10pm on Sunday nights And trips up from MD to NJ to help us out on tunning issues. We have supported the UTEC since its Vaporware phase and have full confidence in Turbo XS and its products. The issue is limited to a few units and Turbo XS has done the right thing by pulling all the UTECs and admitting publicly there is an issue. Most other companies in the industry will never admit a problems publicly and recall units in the interest of customers and business ethics.
The issue will be resolved shortly and the UTECs will be the best mid level tunning solution available for the VQ. With all new products sometimes there are some bugs to be worked out and things like this happen and are overcome. The UTEC has been the premier tunning platform in the WRX/STI community since its release and is to date what 80% of Subie owners running it. There were some issues upon its release as well that were worked out, as there are will all products that continue to grow with R&D and useage.
Bottom line is that Jermaine is 100% honest and ethical and Turbo XS as a company is top notch when it comes to customer support and updates. I will still 100% back and sell Turbo XS products now and in the future.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 PM
BobbyRitz

Jermaine-

Is it reasonable to stop by TurboXS and have you plug my UTEC up and check it out?

EDIT: I've spoken with Jermaine several times before I added n2o. He was nothing short of very helpful in discussing the spare solenoid and n2o.

Last edited by BobbyRitz; 06-20-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by NYC_G35C
just so that i'm clear on what you're saying Jermaine...

basically there is some gremlin in the UTEC firmware that is causing upper RPM power to tank on some of the 350z UTECs...

and that, until you guys isolate and fix the issue, you WILL NOT be shipping anymore 350z UTECs?
The problem is not a software fix, we are leaning towards and component defect. It is not 100% at the moment but I will have more info as our testing goes on. The more I am here replying the less testing is actually happening, but I would rather keep you all in the loop. We will not ship UTEC's until we have a resolution.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:50 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Jermaine-

Is it reasonable to stop by TurboXS and have you plug my UTEC up and check it out?

EDIT: I've spoken with Jermaine several times before I added n2o. He was nothing short of very helpful in discussing the spare solenoid and n2o.
As I have said, if you have had your UTEC installed and you haven't had any issues. You are in the clear. You can always stop by through, it is not much here at the shop here and it's likely we are attached to the phone doing some tech support. Shoot me an email if you want to schedule some time to stop by.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
The problem is not a software fix, we are leaning towards and component defect. It is not 100% at the moment but I will have more info as our testing goes on. The more I am here replying the less testing is actually happening, but I would rather keep you all in the loop. We will not ship UTEC's until we have a resolution.
Jermaine-

I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of the board when I thank you for keeping us apprised of the current status. Things happen. I'd rather TurboXS just get it fixed and insure that our existing units aren't problematic.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
BobbyRitz

As I have said, if you have had your UTEC installed and you haven't had any issues. You are in the clear. You can always stop by through, it is not much here at the shop here and it's likely we are attached to the phone doing some tech support. Shoot me an email if you want to schedule some time to stop by.

Thanks,
Better safe than sorry. I'll schedule something in the near future.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
NYC_G35C

jermaine, thank you very much for your quick reply and for keeping everyone in the loop. the UTEC is a kickass product and IMO unmatched in it's price bracket.

i haven't had any personal dealings with TurboXS but from what i have read here on the forums you guys have been very approachable and helpful in getting the 350z UTEC off the ground and into the hands of tuners.

every new product has bugs that need to be worked out, especially something as complicated as an engine management system. this problem that is occuring would definitely not keep me from going with the UTEC, and i look forward to it being available again.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:32 PM
BlackTuner

I'm jumping around like a big ol baby right now....

I got very Good News...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:48 PM
cox

I got very Good News...

Tell us about these good news!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Bullitproof

Just wanted to say that Jermaine has been very helpful in resolving my utec issues. As soon as i can scan these dyno numbers into the computer, i will post a detailed write up plus dyno charts. i think for being one person, he has went above and beyond what most people would normally do. i would personally like to thank him again, and if you make it our way again, drinks are on me homie!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
cox

I have recently finished installing UTEC on my 35th anniv. Z with the help of a professional tuner.

The install and tuning were a smooth ride after reading through the manual a
few times. I have both the knock sensor light and map switch selector
installed on my Z.

I have been running the car daily for a couple of weeks now (three UTEC
maps: base map and 2 tuned maps with custom afr and timing values) but have been experiencing the following:

- Frequent knocking between 4000 and 7000rpm;
- Very frequent and sudden "power cutting" incidents in the same rev range.

What do you think Jermaine?
Have i a "bad" Utec?
Please let me know...
Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 PM
G3po

Default Utec

I got very Good News...
If you have some news please spill it.

I am in the midst of a UTEC install, and if I need to send it back for an update etc. I'd personally prefer to save the unecessary labor

Thanx
Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got very Good News...
Thats great news Jermaine! Thanks again, for your hard work on this matter. We have never been married to any one tuning platform. We select product based on merit....and I am happy to report that we install a UTEC on just about every car we tune. The results have been outstanding, with plenty of very happy customers.

Thanks again, and hopefully you'll have a resoluton shortly.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Kiamo

Ok, I'm done messing with mine until some info is released. I have had two tuners mess with it and above 5000 revs the tune just won't do what we want.
Today I tried closed loop mode on a new map of all 0s with all ECU timing, and up top at 5000 revs the AFRs on the two cylinder banks split widly (~12.0 on bank1, 14-15 on bank2) and I get blinking CEL. Read the code out as P0300: random misfire. Reset everything and tried map 0... same thing. Took UTEC out and all was well. AFRs match, no codes, just goes lean in the mid-range as it did without the UTEC before install.

Urg. No gains is better than losses I suppose.

If it helps, I have a 2005 non-revup 6spd, plenum, pop-charger intake, test pipes, headers, crank pulley.

Last edited by Kiamo; 06-20-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Jermaine,
I'm getting ready to order my UTEC but I deployed to Iraq and won't be installing it till around Sept/ Oct. Should I wait till I get back or do you think I'll be ok? If I do order one that's bad, do I contact the company I order it threw or TurboXS? Thanks for all this great info!!!

Quick Reply: 350z UTEC comments from TurboXS