Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

350z UTEC comments from TurboXS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
I'm jumping around like a big ol baby right now....

I got very Good News...

and....

i have had no problems with mine, also my friend on here had an 03 that had the tps problem, also tried in another 03..
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jermaine, we just tried the one you sent us to replace the one with the CEL issue and got it to work fine, we just had to reflash it back to 2.6 from 2.7 as some of the parameters were not correct and flash the throttle as it was setting off codes but then it tuned just fine.

Gus
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Midnyte

I got very Good News...
I cant take it anymore...spill it...what was the prob???
Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
aalzuhair

I got very Good News...
Come on man what's the good news
Old 06-21-2006, 07:34 AM
g_torphins

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
Come on man what's the good news
^+1

Nice one Jermaine.

Im in the UK and still want a UTEC despite the deal being called off....
I mailed you regarding this.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
JG 350Z

Originally Posted by Kiamo
Ok, I'm done messing with mine until some info is released. I have had two tuners mess with it and above 5000 revs the tune just won't do what we want.
Today I tried closed loop mode on a new map of all 0s with all ECU timing, and up top at 5000 revs the AFRs on the two cylinder banks split widly (~12.0 on bank1, 14-15 on bank2) and I get blinking CEL. Read the code out as P0300: random misfire. Reset everything and tried map 0... same thing. Took UTEC out and all was well. AFRs match, no codes, just goes lean in the mid-range as it did without the UTEC before install.

Urg. No gains is better than losses I suppose.

If it helps, I have a 2005 non-revup 6spd, plenum, pop-charger intake, test pipes, headers, crank pulley.
Just ran into this thread, I installed mine a few weeks ago and ran into the exact same issues in the upper rpms and even get the same code. Logging showed a dramatic lean condition (15+ afr) at around 5800-6000. I spent a few days road tuning and ended up setting all the fuel values to zero from 5500, timing map follows stock timing pretty close, this kept me in the 12.5 afr range at 5500+ rpms. I re-flashed it with the 2.3 release from the turboxs website but still the same thing, a definite drop off up top.

I originally attributed this to my inexperience/tune but if you had several tuners give it a try it makes me wonder if something really is wrong. Everything runs great with the stock ECU, 13.1 to 12.8 afr from 3000 to 6600.

Please keep us posted

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 12:46 PM
BlackTuner

Default You are all Grounded!!

Hello All,

We have discovered the cause of the recent 350Z UTEC problem and have a solution that can easily be implemented.

The problem is that the ground on the injector circuit is electrically “noisy” and get “noisier” as engine load increases. As you make more power you are creating a larger combustion event. In some cases, it will get so noisy that it will cause some of the injectors to fire irregularly resulting in power loss and slow revving.

Fortunately, the solution to this problem is a very simple one. In each UTEC box we provided a 12 pin Molex connector with a black and a red wire coming out of it. The black wire is actually tied into the injector ground circuit. Simply take the black wire coming out of Pin # 1 on the 12 pin Molex connector and install the wire to a good ground point on the car. This will significantly reduce the noise on the ground circuit and eliminate the problem with the injectors.

This is the Molex connector. Take the black wire (pin1) and run it directly to a bolt to the right of the ECU between a metal surface.

Even if you have not experiencing this problem, we advise that all UTEC customers install this ground wire. We will continue our testing over the weekend. If you do not have or can not find your Molex connector with the ground wire, please call us toll free at 877.887.2679 and we will send you one free of charge.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this problem may have caused. If you have any questions, please call us.

Jermaine~
www.turboxs.com
301-977-4727

Last edited by BlackTuner; 06-21-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:16 PM
TheMinel

is that it? a ground wire? seems too good to be true tbh

all this mess for a ground wire? bah I wanted more drama!

ah well, good luck with the Utec, I'm now decided on the FCON V PRO (or SZ, as I like my TCS in the wet )
Old 06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by TheMinel
is that it? a ground wire? seems too good to be true tbh

all this mess for a ground wire? bah I wanted more drama!

ah well, good luck with the Utec, I'm now decided on the FCON V PRO (or SZ, as I like my TCS in the wet )
Valerio,

I appreciate your attitude, very grown up. It's really nice to see that even though you were getting a free unit you are still bitter. If you don't want a UTEC, great that fine, choose not to read UTEC related threads and go on with your life. Good Luck with your endeavors. Please keep your negativity out of the post.

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM
TheMinel

I am actually genuinely happy for you lot, you misunderstood me mate. Just thought that to go public with this type of statements it might have been some major issue, that's all

chill dude

Last edited by TheMinel; 06-21-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:53 PM
veilside350zTT

I will take his FREE utec??? Just let me know Jermaine lol
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
TheMinel

wasn't free. the 2 free utecs in the deal were decided to be "shared" with the others in the group buy, hence the great price we could offer... all in trying to introduce a product here in the UK where noone had heard of it not even in Subaru or Evo circles (I even tried to extend the original group buy to these 2 other brands as I wouldn't make the numbers needed, and noone had even heard of TXS) so yeah I have done quite a lot of free advertising of a product that I had only faith in, and never seen or tried myself. If that wasn't blind faith...

http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/...ic.php?t=10972

http://www.scoobynet.com/showthread.php?t=495426

Last edited by TheMinel; 06-21-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMinel
wasn't free. the 2 free utecs in the deal were decided to be "shared" with the others in the group buy, hence the great price we could offer... all in trying to introduce a product here in the UK where noone had heard of it not even in Subaru or Evo circles (I even tried to extend the original group buy to these 2 other brands as I wouldn't make the numbers needed, and noone had even heard of TXS) so yeah I have done quite a lot of free advertising of a product that I had only faith in, and never seen or tried myself. If that wasn't blind faith...

http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/...ic.php?t=10972

http://www.scoobynet.com/showthread.php?t=495426
Dude, Stop whining and shut up..
Old 06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Bullitproof

Wowsers!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Hello All,

We have discovered the cause of the recent 350Z UTEC problem and have a solution that can easily be implemented.

The problem is that the ground on the injector circuit is electrically “noisy” and get “noisier” as engine load increases. As you make more power you are creating a larger combustion event. In some cases, it will get so noisy that it will cause some of the injectors to fire irregularly resulting in power loss and slow revving.

Fortunately, the solution to this problem is a very simple one. In each UTEC box we provided a 12 pin Molex connector with a black and a red wire coming out of it. The black wire is actually tied into the injector ground circuit. Simply take the black wire coming out of Pin # 1 on the 12 pin Molex connector and install the wire to a good ground point on the car. This will significantly reduce the noise on the ground circuit and eliminate the problem with the injectors.

This is the Molex connector. Take the black wire (pin1) and run it directly to a bolt to the right of the ECU between a metal surface.

Even if you have not experiencing this problem, we advise that all UTEC customers install this ground wire. We will continue our testing over the weekend. If you do not have or can not find your Molex connector with the ground wire, please call us toll free at 877.887.2679 and we will send you one free of charge.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this problem may have caused. If you have any questions, please call us.

Jermaine~
www.turboxs.com
301-977-4727
Actualy I wondered why the utec for the 350Z did NOT have a ground like the ones for the WRX..Guess we all live and learn. You know what I am curious of, how many people who experienced the problem had the utec lying on the passenger floor and not mounted to the stock ECU Bracket and bolted to the car, which would have grounded the unit...
Old 06-21-2006, 04:35 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for informing the public on this Jermaine - looks like an easy fix.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Midnyte

OMG...I was sweating bullets about my upcoming install. Your customer service and commitment to keeping us informed is awesome! Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Actualy I wondered why the utec for the 350Z did NOT have a ground like the ones for the WRX..Guess we all live and learn. You know what I am curious of, how many people who experienced the problem had the utec lying on the passenger floor and not mounted to the stock ECU Bracket and bolted to the car, which would have grounded the unit...
You know most people don't even ground them on the WRX's. The Z UTEC is actually grounded through the mounting brackets. As I think of it most of the vehicles I recall being pita have been g35, since it's not actually possible to bolt them in to the dash mount.

Jermaine~
Old 06-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Kiamo

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I had the problems earlier described and mine was properly mounted... just fyi.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow... Just a grounding issue. LOL At least its minor. Always tend to be the small stuff that will kick ya. Thanks for this thread!

Quick Reply: 350z UTEC comments from TurboXS