Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

ECU reflash????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
wckdclw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put on my popcharger and injen exhaust....and when i put on the popcharger it idles kinda funny....normal or do i need to do the same as above?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
iceagetlc

Can't any diagnostics shop reflash an ecu?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:28 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

No only those that have the right software - technosquare, uprev, or a shop that licenses software from one of those two...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Rod-Z-Guam

Question Driveability Problems

Originally Posted by SmokyTyrz
+1 for Wired and Davidv

The trick to doing the CEL reset with the pedal is step 6, where it says "more than 10 seconds". During this step the CEL is flashing the trouble codes to you (first group of blinks = first number of the CEL code, second group = second number, and so on to the fourth digit of the CEL code).

I have found that the procedure works best if you LET THE CEL LIGHT FINISH COUNTING OUT ALL FOUR DIGITS OF THE CODE.

So, if you have successfully cleared all codes, it will read back '0000', which is 10 flashes, break, 10 flashes, break, 10 flashes, break, 10 flashes...

THEN you release the pedal for step 7, and the CEL light should begin a steady blink again. Then continue through the last couple steps.

Maybe this won't work for everyone, but it works most often for me,.

But I get sick of doing it, so when I need to reset the lights I just disconnect the battery. Wait a couple hours, then connect it again. No pedal pumping needed. CEL cleared and the ECU is reset.

Note that in OBD2 cars (like ours) that simply reset'ing the ECU will not force the system to "account for your mods" (as some folks may think). Instead the ECU will modify fuel and timing AROUND them, an in a sense will "tune them out", so eventually it will be like you haven't installed anything... Unless your mods are so extreme that the ECU can never relearn the OEM maps. In this example you would end up with driveability problems until you received a proper tune using something like a UTEC, Unichip, or eManage system.

Hope that helps
-Smoky
Would the "driveability problems" you mentioned above include the CEL stayin on, engine bogging down, idleing inconsistently and even engine shut down (quite embarrassing in traffic)? If so, I think I need a Unichip. Unfortunately I don't know anyone here that knows jack about tuning. If it will solve my current problem, I'd rather pay the price for a "ready made" ECU that can handle JWT short ram intake, 5/16 manifold spacer, DC Sport headers and HKS dual exhaust. That's my setup with the headers being the last mod installed. The engine has not run right since the headers were installed. I had the 02 sensors and cam sensor replaced and the dealers' mechanic said he reset the ECU, yet I don't feel any power gains and the car still goes into bogging and inconsistent idle after a day or two. Am I on the right track presuming a Unichip will eleminate these problems? If not, does anyone have any idea what could be causing the driveability problems I'm experiencing? In a worse case scenario I'll regrettably end up removin the DC Sport headers and putting back the stocks. Again any advise anyone can give on correcting the problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited by Rod-Z-Guam; 02-25-2007 at 09:27 AM.