Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Not sure, but I think I have ECU Reflash

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:06 AM
DJMatrix1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure, but I think I have ECU Reflash

so i know this is a noob question, but i have to ask it because i don't know what i have under my hood.

Ok, so yesterday i was workin on installing some neons, and i was lookin in my battery compartment. Next to the battery i notice this black box about 6 inches long, 3 inches wide and an inch thick. it has a whole mass of wires connected to it. I followed the wires into my car and found the ECU cable harness had been cut open and a lot of the wires from the little black box had been spliced into the ECU wires.

So now i'm beginning to wonder. so i manage to get the black box out and it only has a white label on it. It says

"ECM DATA

Make- Nissan
Model- 350Z
Program #- (a whole bunch of random numbers)
MY- 2004
Signature- (some random guys signature)"

I really dont know all that much about ECU reflashing and little black boxes. The problem is that I bought this car used, and the place i bought it from were complete idiots. Like they told me I had Pioneer audio and the speakers that are in there are clearly blaupunkts. They said that the engine had a G35 intake manifold, like that was some huge performance upgrade. And completely left out the JWT Popcharger.

I have noticed that I can pull away from most other NA z's out there. I have yet to dyno it, and im planning on going to a dyno day soon. My car seems a LOT faster than most out there, i just cant tell if it cuz of the ECU reflash or because of the fact its a Z. Is it possible that the previous owner reflashed the ECU? and if so, what kind of horsepower gains are we talking. Nothing profound right? maybe 15 to 20 hp?

As I was lookin at the black box i realized that they forgot to mention the DC Sports headers that are on there. And they didnt mention anything with my exhaust and im pretty sure i have test pipes, cuz its wayyy louder than stock.

there is a ****ty pic of the box attached, but u get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Not sure, but I think I have ECU Reflash-image_00057-small.jpg  
Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The photo is dark and difficult to see.
Is the box sitting on top of the battery compartment? And the battery seems to be on the passenger side. Isn’t the battery on the drivers side?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:36 AM
ericjackson

that is there to distribute power between your Greddy Hi-flo Cats, test pipes, and 3" down pipes
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 AM
ericjackson

and i thought you had nismo headers?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

^^ ROFLMAO!!
Without a better picture it's hard to tell you anything,
Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 AM
savvy

Originally Posted by davidv
The photo is dark and difficult to see.
Is the box sitting on top of the battery compartment? And the battery seems to be on the passenger side. Isn’t the battery on the drivers side?

my battery is on the passanger side...and i have no idea what the black box is
Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 AM
DJMatrix1067

ya the box in that pic is on top of the battery. when i first saw it, it was tucked in between the side of the battery and the chassis.

The battery is on the pasenger side. Is that not normal or something?

Thanks for the help by the way ericjackson. instead of just letting it go, im glad you took the time to be a noob and post that. its already been established that i dont know whats on my car. instead of being a dbag do you think maybe you could either help me learn, or just ignore my posts? thanks

Ill get some better pics tomorrow when its bright out.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought with a reflash that they just reprogrammed your stock ECU and you wouldn't be able to tell anything from it's physical appearance.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:05 AM
pierced5

That box is the engine management module from a Vortech Supercharger kit. Must have been left behind when it was removed, if it was removed. Post some pics of your engine bay please.

Last edited by pierced5; 12-23-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM
R350Zsc

"its already been established that i dont know whats on my car."

You should take your car to a performance shop and have them look over it so you can find out what was actually done to your car.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:47 PM
first350

Originally Posted by pierced5
That box is the engine management module from a Vortech Supercharger kit. Must have been left behind when it was removed, if it was removed. Post some pics of your engine bay please.
sucks to find out that your used car had been boosted...you might want to do a compression and leak down check to make sure everything is running properly.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 PM
hr2burn

I have a sticker on my ECU since I sent it in for reflash for my turbo. I'm guessing it was flashed back to stock after the FI was removed. If you don't know if you have FI still post a pic of your engine bay!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a Split Second box as stated above for a Vortech
Old 12-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Eazzy

BTW ---Does it have a program port on one end with a clear plastic cover ?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:27 PM
dTor

Damn, wouldn't it be wicked if he had a damn Vortech kit on there right now and didn't know it...
Old 12-24-2006, 12:22 AM
DJMatrix1067

I'm fairly confident i would know if i had a supercharger on there. It would be either a thing sitting on top of my intake manifold, or a circular looking object off to the front side of my engine correct?

Are you telling me that someone had FI on my car before i bought it, and they removed it? damn it!

In answer to someones question, it does have a computer looking port on one end, no clear plastic cover, but definitly a port of some kind. there is also a small clear rubber tube (looks similar to a tube used in windshield wiper lines) that comes out the end and runs through the rubber grommet where my battery lead goes into the engine bay. it goes through the grommet and then has been cut off. so basically theres nothing attached to that line.

I don't have an intercooler on my car either. Would having FI create a problem in my engine? Is it a bad thing that the guy removed it? Someone mentioned a leaks and seals check. Do you mean like maybe a blown gasket or a leaking fluid of somekind? or do you mean like a leak around a cylinder head and im not getting the compression i should?

The car doesn't leak any fluids if thats the question.

Im actually sort of worried like maybe the guy had a problem with the engine and sold it to the dealer I bought it from without disclosing it, and maybe i've bought into something thats going to cost me more money to fix than the car is worth. is that possible? what should i do?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Eazzy

U definatly have a split Second---The plastic hose was a vacuum and the port is for tuning with the SS software----If there is info on the box ,u can contact SS and find out the History-----Let me find the site for u
Old 12-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Eazzy

http://www.splitsec.com/
Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Eazzy

If it is still hooked up to the OEM Comp, Im curious as to what effect it is having on the performance etc.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:33 AM
DJMatrix1067

could it have hurt my engine though? im scared lol

Quick Reply: Not sure, but I think I have ECU Reflash