Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Hydra EMU next week ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:45 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by accordfreak
that's why it's so freakin hard to trust reviews on this site written by shop employees. I always wonder, "Are they hyping it up just to make a buck or are they really helping us out."
No offence meant to any of the sponsors or the shops on the site , but from passed experience ....ummmm....remember the E-manage ????

I would have Hydra on my short list of EMS's but the AT5 wouldnt shift right with it installed . And I dont think they were going to be in a hurry to fix the problem .
Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay, but it is now on my car but had to configure acouple of new maps for my modified VQ.

Just the cam control alone makes the Hydra a superior EMS contender. I am in California at this point. My car is sheduled to be dynoed the end of the month, when I return.

The other cause of the delay was hooking up the eddy current dyno and then there was back ordered exhaust system.

Stay tuned

G
Old 07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
copec

I'm really interested to see the results of this. The Hydra has the same resolution of the vpro and the vpro has been giving some excellent results:

https://my350z.com/forum/shop-builds/286599-gt-motorsports-aps-twin-turbo-fcon-is-to-fcon-v-pro-upgrade-pix.html

With cam timing control I think that it will unlock a significant untapped potential as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Three5oZee

... anyword on his tunning yet? photos of installation... maps, etc?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM
NoLimit

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
... anyword on his tunning yet? photos of installation... maps, etc?
^^^^
Seriously!!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I think they made a mistake going full standalone, ditching the stock ECU. Not only is it guaranteed to fail OBD testing (they state for "off road use only"), but the stock ECU provides critical feedback to the TCM, which is missing with the Hydra; hence the incompatibility with the 5AT.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
I think they made a mistake going full standalone, ditching the stock ECU. Not only is it guaranteed to fail OBD testing (they state for "off road use only"), but the stock ECU provides critical feedback to the TCM, which is missing with the Hydra; hence the incompatibility with the 5AT.
I thought it runs parallel with stock?

Plug and Play, Parallel with Factory ECU Applications:

*** The factory ECU will retain control of the "CAN" functions such as the dash and the climate control.

*** The Hydra ECU will have full control of all the engine parameters including drive-by-wire and variable cam.

Nissan

03-05 Nissan 350Z (Manual transmission) $1950

03-05 Infiniti G-35 (Manual transmission) $1950
Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any resaults on this EMS yet?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:41 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by accordfreak
I thought it runs parallel with stock?

Plug and Play, Parallel with Factory ECU Applications:

*** The factory ECU will retain control of the "CAN" functions such as the dash and the climate control.

*** The Hydra ECU will have full control of all the engine parameters including drive-by-wire and variable cam.

Nissan

03-05 Nissan 350Z (Manual transmission) $1950

03-05 Infiniti G-35 (Manual transmission) $1950
Evidently not parallel enough! Maybe they'll work it out. Would've been nice if they actually had it tested and working on a number of vehicles before posting about its availability (5AT and 6MT alike).
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

A little bit more patience here that is all that is needed; and it’ll happen. I know that it has been a hair-ripping, nail-biting wait. Believe you me when I say I know how you feel

The current expectation for my car to be fully tuned with the hydra is pretty much encapsulated within the next 2 week window. I can’t say if we will post the specific numbers, as yet, as I am not the distributor per se; therefore I am standing on the side line with that. But, absolutely we shall share the numbers that one can expect with a similar power house as mine.

These guys at Hydra want a system that will fully compliment any VQ at any level of mod to N/A. And obviously, one needs more than a workable product to achieve that goal. As you can imagine, that it must have been tempting from a marketing stand point to get the units out and add upgrades/patches along the way, which seems to be the typical path that most corporations take. I suppose the Hydra group prefers to experience that system first hand before throwing them out at the market, which would ensure top level support by the time you slap it on your car.

But hey, the really fun part is that we have a novice driver with stock motor and the smaller JWT 530s/split second box doing elevens at Englishtown just today, Sunday. Not bad at all.

G
Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I am definitely interested in this, especially since, while the UTEC I currently have is great, UTEC's have some quirks. For example, they throw a P1444 check engine code if you live in a higher altitude area. Also, the transition from the stock ECU running off the MAF to the UTEC running off a MAP sometimes is a bit 'stumbly', for lack of a better term.

Dave
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Interested in seeing how the Hydra does in the VQ market, despite its lack of sales in the WRX and STI world in the past. Cam control will be a nice feature, vey similar to the Greddy V-manage already released to the market.
Looking foward to finally seeing some acutal numbers on a rel live Hydra.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 08-29-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

• Comparing the Greddy V-manage to the Hydra is like comparing apples to oranges.
  • And the lack of sales in the WRX and EVO world statement is a personal opinion not the real world norm; and I am referring to the world market.

Last edited by 350Zzzz; 08-29-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
Comparing the Greddy V-manage to the Hydra is like comparing apples to oranges.
In what way is that? Although not a direct comparison, both units control variable timing in many platforms. This is the comparison I was making, not an overall package as a comparison, you get my point.
We will be eagerly anticipating the Hydra release to the market, by the time it hits, we should all be tuning the new GTR's by then
Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

• And the lack of sales in the WRX and EVO world statement is a personal opinion not the real world norm; and I am referring to the world market.
Ahhhh, Ninja Edit I see..Very Good Grashoppa..
Question:
Have you, Gerald,ever owned,operated,worked on or driven a WRX or STI?
Cause I have on all of the above, and can tell you for a fact and from personal experiences, the HYDRA in the WRX/STI market BOMBED miserably, when compared to US sales of the UTEC and COBB acessport for those models. Not saying its features and options were not great or superior, but it lacked the marketing drive in the WRX/STI world as its compeditors...Perhaps, you may single handedly change all of that in the 350Z world with your relentless "Fluffing" and misinformed postings.
Show me one bit of proof in what you say based on experience and sales trends in the US based market for the Hydra VS the UTEC and COBB, and I will publicly admit my error.
And by the way, Im eating an Apple right now..Are your Oranges ripe yet?

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 08-29-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default Direct quotes from Greddy on the V-manage

"The V-Manage is an independent standalone unit, which works off the signals from the stock ECU to the custom valve timing settings that the enthusiast desires."

"...a tuner with a laptop computer, can now alter the factory’s ECU control of valve-timing at any RPM and load to optimize power output and fuel economy..."

If you did read the specifications, the operating words are, "works off" and "alter"

The above Greddy summaries of the V-Manage clearly indicates that the unit is dependent on the stock ECU.

The Hydras replaces the stock ECU and manages the system directly, independent of the stock ECU.

You get THE POINT not my point but THE POINT.

As for the GTR statement, you might want to start another thread, as it's off topic here.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

"The V-Manage is an independent standalone unit, which works off the signals from the stock ECU to the custom valve timing settings that the enthusiast desires."

"...a tuner with a laptop computer, can now alter the factory’s ECU control of valve-timing at any RPM and load to optimize power output and fuel economy..."

If you did read the specifications, the operating words are, "works off" and "alter"

The above Greddy summaries of the V-Manage clearly indicates that the unit is dependent on the stock ECU.

The Hydras replaces the stock ECU and manages the system directly, independent of the stock ECU.

You get THE POINT not my point but THE POINT.

As for the GTR statement, you might want to start another thread, as it's off topic here.
Silly Gerald...
look under your dash board..Let me know if your OEM ECU is still plugged in to your Hydra also..Im willing to bet it is, unless its going to replace an ECU that took Nissan engineers countless hours to engineer and develope. You remove your stock ECU and there are lot of other little things that wont work since the stock ECU works off a C.A.N. bus system which is basically like tiny fiber optics sending signals to over 230 sensors in the 350Z. So the Hydra does not "REPLACE" your stock ECU in the 350Z, get you facts correct please.
Secondly, your getting Tunnel vision and only focusing on one comment I made, which was:
Cam control will be a nice feature, vey similar to the Greddy V-manage

You do see where I used the word "Similar" not "exactly" or "superior", but "similar"..Since the Vmanage is the only other unit on the market that controls/ALTERS the Variable Cam Timing on the Nissan platforms. im willing to bet the Hydra also ALTERS the Cam signal, unless your running a specific wire harness directly to the VCT actuators from the Hydra..It most likely reads,intercepts,and alters the signal while sending a false signal back to the Stock ECU to allow the stock ECU to think its doing it's job..
Lets not dig deeper than we need to here Gerald..

P.S.
Still waiting on you to show me some factual based data on US sales and distribution in the WRX/STI marked as compared to the compeditors products.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 08-29-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

• I have a hydra on my Z, but do you?
  • The last time I operated an EVO was in June 2007, in Santa Barbara, California.
  • I was on site when the Hydra engineer was Dyno/tuning a WRX in Singapore, March 2006.

It is you who needs to get your facts straight and not relying on hear-say.

Finally, name calling and derogrative and immatured remarks are totally out of line and unacceptable.

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Silly Gerald...
look under your dash board..Let me know if your OEM ECU is still plugged in to your Hydra also..Im willing to bet it is, unless its going to replace an ECU that took Nissan engineers countless hours to engineer and develope. You remove your stock ECU and there are lot of other little things that wont work since the stock ECU works off a C.A.N. bus system which is basically like tiny fiber optics sending signals to over 230 sensors in the 350Z. So the Hydra does not "REPLACE" your stock ECU in the 350Z, get you facts correct please.
Secondly, your getting Tunnel vision and only focusing on one comment I made, which was:
Cam control will be a nice feature, vey similar to the Greddy V-manage

You do see where I used the word "Similar" not "exactly" or "superior", but "similar"..Since the Vmanage is the only other unit on the market that controls/ALTERS the Variable Cam Timing on the Nissan platforms. im willing to bet the Hydra also ALTERS the Cam signal, unless your running a specific wire harness directly to the VCT actuators from the Hydra..It most likely reads,intercepts,and alters the signal while sending a false signal back to the Stock ECU to allow the stock ECU to think its doing it's job..
Lets not dig deeper than we need to here Gerald..
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

• I have a hydra on my Z, but do you?
  • The last time I operated an EVO was in June 2007, in Santa Barbara, California.
  • I was on site when the Hydra engineer was Dyno/tuning a WRX in Singapore, March 2006.

It is you who needs to get your facts straight and not relying on hear-say.

Finally, name calling and derogrative and immatured remarks are totally out of line and unacceptable.
The 3 facts you posted above are irrelevant to anything I said.Tunnel vision at its best..
1)You may have a Hydra on your car, but this makes you no expert...
a)Example-I have tires on my cars, this does not make me an expert in rubber compound and tread design,nor does it qualify me to be a tire marketing/spokesman on the forums.
The above example is for illustrative purpose only..

2)You operated an Evo on an occasion, thats great.
a)This also makes you no expert on Evo III Engine management systems
b)It further does not make you an expert in Hydra EMS evo systems
c)Nor does it put you in charge of marketing and research for such..
d) I believe I reffered to a WRX/STI never an Evo..Can you tell the difference between the 3 vehicles?
3)So you went to Singapore to watch a WRX be tuned on a Hydra.. a)Once again this does not make you an expert in the WRX, nor the Hydra..I watched a doctor performe a breast augmentation on TV, does it qualify me to sell, and install fake breasts?No....Reminds me of the "Im no expert,but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night" line..
b)How does you witnessing a Hydra be tune in Singapore on a WRX last year relate to the following
I) Hydra EMS currently is not on the market for the 350Z
II)Hydra EMS systems did not sell as well as their compeditors
III) You have no vast knowledge or experience in installing,working on, and or tuning any vehicle or EMS system..

So I ask again the following questions:

1) How did the Hydra sales do in the US in the WRX/STI market?
2)How did Hydra's compeditors sales do at the same time in the same market
3)is the Hydra released to the 350Z market yet? If not please stop blowing smoke up our A$$e$ Gerald, please...

Now there is no Name calling or bickering or thrashing on my end..A simple debate on someone stating something based strictly on hearsay, and no experience in the field whatsoever to drive up Hype and sales of a product that was supposed to have been released over 5 months ago..I just hate it when people claim to know sutff they dont know..
Now Gerald, I know your next tactic, when your proven to be wrong or cant debate intelligently about something, you shall resort to name dropping and comparing accomplishments of a third party to mine..Im debating with you, not a 3rd party Gerald.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 08-29-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
ISMSOLUTIONS

UN-subscribing....

Quick Reply: Hydra EMU next week ?