Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Hydra EMU next week ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the AP for the 350. It was suppose to be out within the next few months last November. Posting a release date for tuning products must be the kiss of death.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Sounds like the AP for the 350. It was suppose to be out within the next few months last November. Posting a release date for tuning products must be the kiss of death.
This is true, however there is no one on this board claiming to be from Cobb or with any vested interest Hyping up something as of yet, with no hard factual data.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Money0veru
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
Will keep you informed. There are good reasons for the delayed launch, more of a time issue. The wait is frustrating, but timing of the launch is critical.

G
Any updates for 2008? I was considering going to VTR and getting one installed with a JWT TT kit in the spring.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Default Hard Factual Data

The red A/F graph was with stock ECU & JWT split-second-box and the Blue A/F was the final tune with the Hydra that night, back in October 2007. Note the excellent A/F ratio that was maintained all through 7,000 rpm.

The fuel maps were generated on Paul's ZR, with AMACO 93-octane, pump gas. His ZR is ready, however, the Hydras had to be sent to California for some final upgrades and tweaking. I should have more info. in the next couple of week, everything is still hush...hush.....

Happy 2008
G
Attached Thumbnails Hydra EMU next week ?-a-f_graph_2-copy.jpg  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
unchi

meh hydra ftl
AEM ftw!

Seriously hydra is a huge pain to tune with
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM
athenG

/\ Hydra don't even have a final product yet. There are so many proven Standalone in the market now that by the time they come out others would probably in Version 100 already. Heck, 3.7 Engine is out already (G37) and others are probably working that.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

Originally Posted by unchi
meh hydra ftl
AEM ftw!

Seriously hydra is a huge pain to tune with
It is a complex system, as it has full control of all engine parameters, and utilizes all existing OEM sensors & then some, drive-by-wire and variable cam timing. I agree that it does require a good knowledge of tuning, as well as tuner experience. I have spent much time with Vinny when he was generating his arsenal of maps, I have stopped counting, for turbo applications with pump-gas; so I can empathize with you that it has a relatively high level of difficulty.

It is either that or one could go with another management system that is on the other side of the spectrum, which is easier to manage.

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ Hydra don't even have a final product yet. There are so many proven Standalone in the market now that by the time they come out others would probably in Version 100 already. Heck, 3.7 Engine is out already (G37) and others are probably working that.
athenG, it would seem that your gripes concern more the marketing aspect; but as you know that is relative to your actual knowledge of Hydra’s marketing approach/concept; facts from the manufacturer and distributor.

Absolutely there are many new models being released each day, but it also doesn’t mean that the second a new system is released that the locking codes would be automatically cracked.

I believe that as long as the Hydra meets the needs of the enthusiast and retains its state-of-the-art innovation in the technology, it will always have a place in the market.

An FYI, there was a final product with OEM base maps ready for sale, but the people concerned preferred to postpone the actual launching based on extremely valid, end-user/application oriented reasons. You either choose to be the first on the market or have the best product on the market; rarely can one have both.

Similar speculations were expressed when the JWT's were finally released, that it should have been released much earlier onto the market; look at it today, as its sales are not too shabby.

G
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
unchi

It is a complex system, as it has full control of all engine parameters, and utilizes all existing OEM sensors & then some, drive-by-wire and variable cam timing. I agree that it does require a good knowledge of tuning, as well as tuner experience. I have spent much time with Vinny when he was generating his arsenal of maps, I have stopped counting, for turbo applications with pump-gas; so I can empathize with you that it has a relatively high level of difficulty.
the Box itself works well
they just need someone to make a USEABLE GUI
the fact that 90% of the stuff is PG UP / PG DN
and the interpolation is kinda whack makes it a PITA

I have tuned 20-30 of them on Subarus
And they are great, but man..... even the logging setup is primitive
Select logger set to 16 hz then log ugh, never mind it having graphical logger

there is so much more that it could do and i really hope it does!!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

the Box itself works well
they just need someone to make a USEABLE GUI
the fact that 90% of the stuff is PG UP / PG DN
and the interpolation is kinda whack makes it a PITA

I have tuned 20-30 of them on Subarus
And they are great, but man..... even the logging setup is primitive
Select logger set to 16 hz then log ugh, never mind it having graphical logger

there is so much more that it could do and i really hope it does!!
You sound like you are quite the tuner yourself, unchi.

It does appear primitive, with the 16-bit dual processors and DOS based programing, then you have the single digit increments/decreaments. I did touch on some of these questions, with Mook in Asia, in 2006.

As for the processor, Hydra could have gone with a dual 32-bit cpu, it would have increase the cost only for cosmetic purposes; and would not contribute to performance at all. The seemingly antiquated up/down, I see it as a safety precautionary measure, when the tuner is given the key to access and reprogram the OEM operating parameters for the Z.

The weekend was most exciting and interesting, as I went straight to Vinny's when he was dyno tuning my Z, and again on Saturday.

G
Old 01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
unchi

You sound like you are quite the tuner yourself, unchi.

It does appear primitive, with the 16-bit dual processors and DOS based programing, then you have the single digit increments/decreaments. I did touch on some of these questions, with Mook in Asia, in 2006.

As for the processor, Hydra could have gone with a dual 32-bit cpu, it would have increase the cost only for cosmetic purposes; and would not contribute to performance at all. The seemingly antiquated up/down, I see it as a safety precautionary measure, when the tuner is given the key to access and reprogram the OEM operating parameters for the Z.
i tune factory ecu's, and standalones every day
its is my full time profession. for a TUNER who is paid for their time a usable fast and intuitive interface is imperative. The Hydra is simply lacking. AEM for one and the new Haltech are much nicer and more friendly to tune with.

I for one like the functionality of the hydra setup, i just hate spending unnecessary time with the GUI. i hope that the people who use hydra ***** about it enough to get it updated a bit....

Is it piggy backed or full standalone now and is it available for Beta testing i would like to try it on my Z.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:57 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

i tune factory ecu's, and standalones every day
its is my full time profession. for a TUNER who is paid for their time a usable fast and intuitive interface is imperative. The Hydra is simply lacking. AEM for one and the new Haltech are much nicer and more friendly to tune with.

I for one like the functionality of the hydra setup, i just hate spending unnecessary time with the GUI. i hope that the people who use hydra ***** about it enough to get it updated a bit....

Is it piggy backed or full standalone now and is it available for Beta testing i would like to try it on my Z.
A bit…. Or 2, you mean

I like that concept; I shall get their attention they will all hear about it. Functionality and intuitiveness, I like how it sounds, as it rolls into one word user-friendliness. Thanks.

I call it a standalone that also works as a piggy-back. The hydra controls the entire engine parameters, monitors the signal's going into the stock ECU and the relaying output signals; the exception is climate control, which are still left with the OEM ECU; and from last weekend, include one radiator cooling fan onto the list for OEM.

Call Vinny, as he manages the entire R&D for the hydra; as well as distribution.

I plan to pop down to California again, this year.

G