Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess someone had to be the first to crash their ECU...

I followed all the steps in the Osiris Instructions, but the ROM update failed at roughly the 50% mark. Osiris flashed up a red error message that was too fast to read and then went to "Erasing" and then "Attempting Reflash" again. It went through this sequence twice and then just posted "ECU Not Detected."

I tried the "Troubleshooting Flash Errors" section of the Installation Guide and disconnected the battery for two minutes. After reconnecting the battery terminal and turning on the ignition, the fans kept running and Osiris could no longer detect the ECU.

I waited intil Saturday to flash my ECU so that I would have plenty of time and not have to hurry. Ultimately that was a bad plan because there is no one at UpRev to answer the phone on Saturdays. Ah, well... time to rent a car, I suppose.

Does anyone know of a good DIY to remove the ECU?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:30 PM
RedondoG

bummer...
Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 PM
lightner22

Uh oh
Old 07-21-2007, 01:59 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Just heard back from Matt at UpRev.

Pretty quick callback for a Saturday. My ECU is in fact dead. I'll have to remove it and FedEx it out to UpRev on Monday. Hopefully I'll get it back by Wednesday and be ready to go.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:22 PM
dovla

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

What was your battery voltage just before flashing? Voltage now? Did you turn off/disconnect all that current eating crap installed in your car before flashing? Any application running in the background on your carputer/laptop, like virus (protection)? While waiting on flash did you open the door, audio or anything to do with electricity?

Hopefully UpRev will be able to recover your ECU, quickly.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:26 PM
lightner22

+1 to Dovla's questions. Did UpRev have any idea what caused it and if they will be able to fix it, without purchasing a new ECU?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:41 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by dovla
That sucks. Sorry to hear.

What was your battery voltage just before flashing? Voltage now? Did you turn off/disconnect all that current eating crap installed in your car before flashing? Any application running in the background on your carputer/laptop, like virus (protection)? While waiting on flash did you open the door, audio or anything to do with electricity?

Hopefully UpRev will be able to recover your ECU, quickly.
Battery voltage was 12.5 or so. It was way over the minimum required for the flash. It's a two month old Optima Yellow top. I hadn't started my car up today though. Maybe it would have had higher voltage if I would have started it up. I would probably recommend other people to start their car before updating to get the voltage up.

Yes I had turned everything off. When I first started the flash, Osiris said "Too much battery load, turn off accessories." I had turned the air conditioning off, but not the fans, so I turned the fans off. I also closed the doors to make the dome light go off. After that Osiris started the flash normally.

Nothing extra was running on my notebook. I even ran an extension cord so I could plug it in in addition to using the notebooks battery.

I pretty much just sat there and waited for the update to complete.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by lightner22
+1 to Dovla's questions. Did UpRev have any idea what caused it and if they will be able to fix it, without purchasing a new ECU?
UpRev doesn't really know what caused the flash to fail. There is a wide list of things that have caused past failures in the instruction manual. I made sure none of those situations occurred before and during the flash operation. If it would have been an exterior problem, it probably wouldn't have happened at almost the same spot in the transfer (45-50% progress).

I thought later that Osiris might keep an event log, but Matt didn't mention one, and I didn't think of it while we were talking on the phone.

He did say that they would be able to reflash the ECU. They have equipment in their shop that can flash an ECU without it being in a car. That's how they flashed ECU's for the last few years. No one said anything about the ECU being ruined. The instructions are very clear that this can happen and that mailing the ECU to UpRev is the only repair.

Matt offered to send me a new ECU to get me up and running sooner. It turned out the they didn't have a spare RevUp ECU, so they couldn't send me one. I thought it was nice to offer it though.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:28 PM
dovla

Ugh. Is your 4080 hardwired? Eclipse? It sounds like reflash should have been simple process for you, but you know for any flashing, be that laptop BIOS or any device within, precaution steps have to be made – I don’t know, that Too much battery load… message should have ringed bells for you. Do instructions say anything about car electricity or laptop programs running?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Ugh. Is your 4080 hardwired? Eclipse? It sounds like reflash should have been simple process for you, but you know for any flashing, be that laptop BIOS or any device within, precaution steps have to be made – I don’t know, that Too much battery load… message should have ringed bells for you. Do instructions say anything about car electricity or laptop programs running?
The "battery load" warning did make me wonder, but I shut off the fans and closed the doors and Osiris started flashing right away without popping up the warning message. I thought I had met the flashing requirements by turning the fans off, so I didn't worry.

Page 4 of the Osiris User's Guide contains "Preparations and Precautions before flashing an ECU." The entire page is dedicated to preparations and precautions for flashing an ECU... there are eleven items. The last sentence on the page says: "If the ECU does crash during the reflash then it will have to be shipped back to UpRev in Austin Texas to be recovered. Your vehicle will not be drivable until your ECU has been returned."

The User Guide pays extreme attention to the likelihood of a flash failing. No one on the forums had any problems, so I thought it was pretty safe. I did realize that this was early in the product life of a product that could disable my car. The next page in the User's Guide has a recovery option in case of failure. The recovery procedure didn't work for me.

Initially, I wasn't going to post about the failure, but, I had planned to post about my success, so I didn't think it would be fair to hide the failure. The UpRev guys have been very helpful and plan to ship my reflashed ECU back to me as soon as possible. I don't hold any ill feelings towards them, it's just something that happened.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 AM
lightner22

That doesn't sound too bad then. When you first wrote of the failure it made me question whether or not I still want this, but it doesn't sound like too big of an issue. I thought that the ECU was toast...if it's recoverable then its just an inconvenience as opposed to a major problem. I'm looking forward to seeing how fast they get you back on the road and what your impressions are once you're up and running.
At least now I know to plan on doing the install when I get a few weekdays off just in case.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Marshall2K

Bummer, sorry to hear about that John. Im sure UpRev will take care of you. Good choice going FedEx with something this important.

Has anyone else performed this Osirus (re-flash) upgrade with the Cipher software already installed?

I am wondering if this might have attributed to the problem. An older driver being shared, or a corrupted .dll file, etc.

I hope you get everything taken care of ASAP.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 AM
dovla

Originally Posted by __jb
It would be really nice if Cipher had a button named "Osiris Log" next to the "Clear All Parameters" button. The "Osiris Log" button would clear all current Cipher parameters and select the parameters required for an Osiris tune. It would be good for users, and it would help the UpRev guys because the correct parameters would always be recorded.
It would be also nice if that parameters selection window have File-->Load/Save params list command.
Speaking of Cipher, it would be also nice if the Live View window would remember which params. are expanded or better yet if there is File-->Load/Save setting file where user can change the order of parameters and specify which ones are to be expanded.

But all of the above is no big deal for regular users; it is users with carputer that instead of gauges use Cipher (like me) and users that are always logging either ECU or BCM, that would benefit the most. Just my 2c suggestion to make UpRev product better.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
dovla

G coupe being my only car also, I feel sorry that __jb has to rent the car after spending $ on Osiris, but I also have no doubt that UpRev will help him with ECU ASP.

Originally Posted by Marshall2K
Has anyone else performed this Osirus (re-flash) upgrade with the Cipher software already installed?
I did, several times and I haven’t had any problems yet. I have Cipher since it was released (01/2006) and Osiris (beta) since early March of this year. In fact I worried that I am re-flashing too much until UpRev posted here that the flash memory has a minimum lifetime of at least 200 reflashes.

If I may suggest couple things to keep in mind before attempting reflash, all in order to not interrupt re-flash:

Make sure that your battery has enough juice for entire process and don’t do anything that is related to electricity, you don’t want any signals floating from/to BCM or ECU or any static electricity around your cable.

Have your laptop in good order: no viruses, no scheduled processes to run (virus protection, defragmenter, auto-update, or …), and be certain that your flash file is good.

IMO it is easy to do your own re-flash, I mean, just use common sense, but in the end the worse it can happen is pulling out and shipping your ECU and being without the car for couple days.

Question for UpRev: Any new updates on the knock counter? Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 AM
RedondoG

Dovla,
I have asked what the knock counter is supposed to do but I have not gotten an answer. Do you know what it's supposed to tell me?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
dovla

Originally Posted by RedondoG
Dovla,
I have asked what the knock counter is supposed to do but I have not gotten an answer. Do you know what it's supposed to tell me?

RedondoG, my understanding is that is should count knocks as ECU see it and then after predetermined number of (low) knocks set the high knock flag. In my case, while testing, it partially worked.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Bummer, sorry to hear about that John. Im sure UpRev will take care of you. Good choice going FedEx with something this important.

I am wondering if this might have attributed to the problem. An older driver being shared, or a corrupted .dll file, etc.
The UpRev guys are very helpful. Good bunch of guys.

You have to remove the existing Cipher driver to install the new Osiris driver. I believe Osiris loads/overwrites the existing copy of Cipher when it installs. I'm not sure about that, but I could reload Osiris and see if it also installs new Cipher files.

I did notice afterwards that I had left the Osiris installation CD in my notebook. I don't really think that could have hurt anything. IAE, I will reload everything from scratch before I try running Osiris again. This notebook also has Windows 2000 on it. I will probably upgrade to Windows XP before I try Osiris again.

I hope you get everything taken care of ASAP.
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Thanks, I think...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

G coupe being my only car also, I feel sorry that __jb has to rent the car after spending $ on Osiris, but I also have no doubt that UpRev will help him with ECU ASP.
I probably shouldn't have written that. I was still a bit aggravated at the time. I used to have a second vehicle, but I ended up driving it instead of my nice car. I finally got rid of my second car thinking it would be cheaper to just rent a car when I needed one. I just don't like the hassle of renting a car.

and be certain that your flash file is good.
How would an end user do this? I'm sure the osirisROM file format is "undocumented." I didn't look at the file, but I figured it would be a binary file. Maybe EOF characters could be looked for. IAE, my ROM file was installed directly from the CD. Not much chance it was truncated.

It would be cool to have MD5 sums for each ROM file. That would insure the file was correct and complete.

IMO it is easy to do your own re-flash, I mean, just use common sense, but in the end the worse it can happen is pulling out and shipping your ECU and being without the car for couple days.
Exactly... At the end of the day... I have flashed many things... cell phones... computers... never had any issues before. Maybe this is more sensitive.

I do think UpRev should add an Event Log to Osiris. The worst thing about this failure is that I still have no idea what caused it.

Question for UpRev: Any new updates on the knock counter? Thanks
Yes, Jared promised the next version of Cipher would have knock count quite a while ago. But it isn't like he's been goofing off...
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked with the guys at uprev, i was told they have reflashed their test car way over the supposed reflash limit. I highly doubt people would really even tune/flash the ecu over 200 times. The first time i flashed mine it locked up, but mine is a revup and a 2006 so it was a chance that it could happen. I overnighted the ecu and they fixed it, i had it back in the car in 3-4 days or so.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:15 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by rocks
I talked with the guys at uprev, i was told they have reflashed their test car way over the supposed reflash limit.
Yeah they mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev