Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
LSUmark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Conceyted
haha, yea theres quite a few of us Z guys down here between new orleans and baton rouge. As far as "connecting it to your car" it honestly is that easy. if you look under the left side of the dash by your gas button to open your gas door you will see a white "port" this is the odbII port you are looking to plug the cable in to. other than that its following instructions.

cool

i actually drive a g35, but close enough i think. i spend a fair bit of time in br.

again, thanks for the help and im looking forward to this mod in the future. seems iike an outsanding product
Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Osiris comes with two actual products.

Cipher is a data monitoring, data gathering/graphing/logging tool that plugs into your cars OBD-2 port under the dash. In addition to a lot of other things, Cipher logs specific ECU parameters for tuning. The UpRev guys use these logs to determine the tuning for each individual car.

Osiris is used to update the ECU with new settings created by the guys at UpRev. Osiris uses the same OBD-2 cable that Cipher uses and connects to you car the same way. Using Osiris is similar to upgrading the firmware in your PC, except that the PC is actually your ECU.

Check out the two links above and you'll see what we mean.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it work with jdm cars?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 AM
s2k_G35

Will work only on Nissan cars.

Will Cipher work on other vehicles?
Cipher has been tested on the 350Z, G35, Titan, Armada, Altima, Frontier, Maxima, Sentra, Pathfinder, and Xterra including 2006. Cipher may work on other Nissan’s but until testing has been completed, we cannot guarantee what will or will not function. Attempting to use Cipher on non-tested vehicles is not recommended and the user does so at their own risk.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
So does this just tune the closed loop functions or does it tune the open loop as well?
Excellent question.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me rephrase..

does it work on jdm z33?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
dTor

Well, guys & girls, bad news.

I will NOT be going to Atlanta this weekend to get my car dynoed with stock & e-tuned Osiris maps. Thanks to thinking for the offer to pay for the dyno pulls anyway!

I do want to thank Jared for jumping through hoops the last couple of days to get this shipped out to me. I did receive it today, along with the tuner box (for tuning '03s - they have a slightly different ALDL connector).

Jared, I apologize for not being able to get this dyno going this weekend, and therefore needlessly pressuring you to get it shipped out to me under the premise that I would be posting before/after Osiris dynos on here.
Even if my plans to go to Atlanta didn't fall apart on me this morning, with the way the weather is looking for the next couple of days (lots of rain), I wouldn't be able to do any good, consistent runs that would be useable to do any e-tunes anyway, and would therefore make a before/after dyno session a waste of time and money.

Good news is that I DID find out today that there is a shop with a Mustang dyno just over an hour away from me! As soon as I am able, I will get my butt down there, after getting e-tuned, and do at LEAST three stock map pulls and three fully e-tuned pulls.

Jared, if I understand what I've read in this thread, you are able to tweak the etune even better by using dyno info. Is this correct? Do you think you'll be able to do partial throttle tuning using dyno graphs?

Jared, thank you very much for your help with this, it will not go unrewarded. Thinking, thanks again for the offer to pay for the dyno pulls; circumstances beyond my control have prevented my planned trip, but I'll definetely give you a call, as I plan on being in Atlanta the weekend of NOPI Nationals.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
does it work with jdm cars?
Yep, at least the one 2003 fairlady that we've tested.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
So does this just tune the closed loop functions or does it tune the open loop as well?
Both, we adjust the AFR targets that the ECU is trying to hit. So as the ECU learns the tune just gets better instead of going back to stock like it does w/ a piggyback.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
PunKidd

from there the file is then saved in an encrypted format and able to be chart plotted by the software as well.
BTW: the logging format is CSV. It's not encrypted, so you can open the files w/ excell (or most other spreadsheet apps) to view it or manipulate it. The Titan guys have come up w/ a couple of "street dyno" templates that allow them to copy and paste the data in and get a HP estimate. Of course they were made for Titans, so the equasions aren't going to work on the Z, but it's the kind of thing that can be done.
Be aware that once you open a file w/ excell, excell will add some stuff to the end of the file (even if you just open it and close it w/o making ANY changes, and even w/o ever hitting "save". You gota love the way MS just does whatever they want) and Cipher will not be able to read it after that, so you need to make copies if you plan to open the files w/ excell.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 AM
thinking

PunKidd, any update on the Osiris software revision that makes the flash process more robust along with some other things?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Humm, nothing new in here
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 AM
ken350z

Is is possible to get a good comparison of a stock and a new tune while on the dyno? I mean, do a couple of pulls using the stock tune then swtich to a modified tune and run another couple of pulls.

Or, does it take some running time for the ECU to make the most use of the new tune?

TIA
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Conceyted

I dont know the complete answer to that, but you can begin to feel the change immediately, so regardless how long it would take the ECU to adjust, you could see some change on the dyno between the two maps for sure. As far as price goes, generally you get about 3 runs on the dyno so its tough to justify spending 2x the amount for 3 runs of stock tune vs 3 runs of osiris tune. I plan on a dyno very soon but I would rather 3 tuned runs so i could send them all to up rev and get my car fine tuned.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by ken350z
Is is possible to get a good comparison of a stock and a new tune while on the dyno? I mean, do a couple of pulls using the stock tune then swtich to a modified tune and run another couple of pulls.
I agree with Conceyted. When you install the first new maps (what UpRev calls the "generic" maps made specifically for your mods) it makes a tremendous difference. At least it did for me. So, for me, there's no longer a reason to do a before and after dyno. I knew the new maps helped right from the start... no question.

I have since upgraded to a "custom" tuned map for my G. I sent Jared several different 0-60 Cipher log files and he refined my fuel curve. I noticed a difference in smoothness and power with the new map. Probably not as big a jump as with the first generic map, but it gets harder and harder to improve on things as you refine the maps more and more.

The next time I dyno my G will be to see how much difference there is between the last time I dynoed my G and its current state. I have added headers, HFC, Osiris tune and larger wheels and tires since my last dyno runs.

Originally Posted by ken350z
Or, does it take some running time for the ECU to make the most use of the new tune?
I noticed a big difference right away. Maybe I noticed it more because I had quite a few NA mods and the tune helped everything run better.

I don't know enough about how the ECU actually works to answer much more than this. I know that Jared adjusts the ECU "Targets" as he calls them, so that the ECU will learn towards the new, tuned settings instead of the old emission-centered settings.

I noticed a big improvement in mid-range power and throttle control, too. I'm not sure if this is because he modified the mid-range mapping of the ECU, or because of the throttle programming changes. Maybe Jared will explain this better the next time he pops in.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 AM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by thinking
PunKidd, any update on the Osiris software revision that makes the flash process more robust along with some other things?
We sent something out to a few people last week, but then we had a crash on Sat here at our facility. We're not sure yet what caused the crash, but until we get it sorted out we don't want to release the new version.
-Jared.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Conceyted

By the way, _jb. I don't know if you have toyed with this yet, but a lot of guys used to use the Consult II to advance their timing two degrees. You can do this with your Cipher. I advanced my timing 2 degrees and noticed a vast improvement in throttle response. Might want to try that out, at your own risk of course
Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

By the way, _jb. I don't know if you have toyed with this yet, but a lot of guys used to use the Consult II to advance their timing two degrees. You can do this with your Cipher. I advanced my timing 2 degrees and noticed a vast improvement in throttle response. Might want to try that out, at your own risk of course
I actually owned Cipher before Osiris came out. Cipher is a great diagnostic/dataGathering/logging tool. I think a lot of people miss out on that fact when they consider the price of Osiris. Plus Cipher can be used on any number of cars.

Funny you mention the 2 degrees timing. I originally had used Cipher to add the +2 degrees timing to my G. In all honesty, I couldn't tell any difference at the time.

After I got my repaired ECU back from UpRev, I switched to my 93 octane tuned map and was just floored with the performance. I was shocked by how much difference it made.

I read through Jared's Osiris FAQ and found that I should have turned the +2 degrees timing off. I figured the +2 degrees timing had been turned off when Jared repaired my ECU, but I checked it anyway. Surprise... it was still turned on. I reduced the timing back to 0 and noticed that my car lost some of its responsiveness. I was kind of surprised that it was so noticeable because when I added the +2 degrees timing before the tune, I could not tell any difference. I added the +2 back again.

When I received my custom tune from Jared, I decided to remove the +2 degrees timing again. After I loaded my custom ROM file, the car improved back close to where it was with the earlier map and the +2 degrees timing.

I decided not to try the +2 degrees timing again because it might be too aggressive for the new map. August and September are two of the hottest months in Florida and this year has been brutally hot. I was afraid of detonation. I may go back and try it again now.

As a side note, since Jared already mentioned it, I'm one of the people that tried the new version of Osiris to load my custom map. It is quite a bit faster and actually worked fine for me... where the earlier version failed.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by __jb
I actually owned Cipher before Osiris came out. Cipher is a great diagnostic/dataGathering/logging tool. I think a lot of people miss out on that fact when they consider the price of Osiris. Plus Cipher can be used on any number of cars.

Funny you mention the 2 degrees timing. I originally had used Cipher to add the +2 degrees timing to my G. In all honesty, I couldn't tell any difference at the time.

After I got my repaired ECU back from UpRev, I switched to my 93 octane tuned map and was just floored with the performance. I was shocked by how much difference it made.

I read through Jared's Osiris FAQ and found that I should have turned the +2 degrees timing off. I figured the +2 degrees timing had been turned off when Jared repaired my ECU, but I checked it anyway. Surprise... it was still turned on. I reduced the timing back to 0 and noticed that my car lost some of its responsiveness. I was kind of surprised that it was so noticeable because when I added the +2 degrees timing before the tune, I could not tell any difference. I added the +2 back again.

When I received my custom tune from Jared, I decided to remove the +2 degrees timing again. After I loaded my custom ROM file, the car improved back close to where it was with the earlier map and the +2 degrees timing.

I decided not to try the +2 degrees timing again because it might be too aggressive for the new map. August and September are two of the hottest months in Florida and this year has been brutally hot. I was afraid of detonation. I may go back and try it again now.

As a side note, since Jared already mentioned it, I'm one of the people that tried the new version of Osiris to load my custom map. It is quite a bit faster and actually worked fine for me... where the earlier version failed.
Awesome man, I am surprised to hear about Jared saying to turn the +2 timing off. I was pretty cautious when adding it. I monitor my temps and on hot hot days it seems like i COULD be pushing it a little too much, and like you said if I do end up getting it tuned further I might just take that timing and reduce it back to +0 so I dont have any detonation. Cheers!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:10 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by PunKidd
Here’s the Osiris FAQ that has yet to be published.
If someone who posted on the first page would like to edit their post and add this to it, that might be helpful so people don’t have to go all the way to p16.
Q. Is the Cipher that comes bundled with Osiris different from the stand alone version?
A. The version of Cipher bundled with Osiris is the exact same as the stand-alone version. This includes the ability to use Cipher on multiple Vehicles.

Q. How many vehicles can I flash w/ Osiris?
A. The vehicle interface will link itself to the first ECU it flashes.
** One additional license can be purchased for $400.

Q. How many times can I flash my vehicle?
A. You can use Osiris to flash your ECU as many times as you would like.

Q. What is the price for eTuning services after I send my datalogs to UpRev?
A. Our eTuning service is currently free of charge, however, we reserve the right to charge for this service in the future.

Q. What parameters should be logged for AFR eTuning?
A.
AFR, B1 and B2 (Make sure your ECU is set up in the wide band conversion. See Cipher user guide)
Accelerator position (either one)
Base fuel schedule
Calculated load
Coolant temp
Engine speed (RPM)
Ignition timing advance
Throttle position (either one)

Q. Will my local Nissan/Infiniti service department know that my ECU has been modified?
A. It is possible that your local service department will discover your ECU modification. The Osiris flash does not affect any functionality of the Consult II and is transparent to common maintenance and diagnostic procedures. If a service tech were to test for our Map Switching, then they will know.

Q. How do I get my ECU back to 100% Stock.
A. At this time we do not have the functionality built into Osiris to return to 100% stock. If you require this, please contact us for help.

Q. Is there an upgrade route for current Cipher owners?
A. Yes, but your current Cipher cable will not function with Osiris. Contact us at info@uprev.com and we will walk you through the details.

Q. I tow 8-9k lbs quite often and am wondering if there is a map to provide a wider rpm of peak torque gains for towing applications?
A. We can't offer more power for a towing map. The additional weight of towing will change the load on the engine so we can't tune for it on the dyno. What we can provide for towing is basically the same thing we provide for 87 octane tune. It will include everything that a fully tuned map includes (ETC, Fuel, speed limit removed), but it will not have the aggressive ignition timing. It is possible that the aggressive ignition could cause pinging or detonation with the extra load on the engine.

Q. I have already done the 2 deg timing advance. Do I need to set this back to 0deg or will the flash take care of this?
A. Yes, you need to set the timing back to 0 Deg using Cipher.

Q. Can Cipher datalog AFR on my 2003-2004 350z or G35?
A. No. 2003 and early 2004 350Z/G35s do not come equipped w/ factory wide band sensors. To log AFR, you will need to install additional such as an Innovate LC-1+ with RPM pickup.

Q. Will a factory software update erase my UpRev reflash?
A. Yes, the update will overwrite everything, including your UpRev license. If an update is available for your vehicle, please contact us.

Q. I only want to change my idle RPM, Speed Limit and Rev Limits, is there a discount?
A. There are no discounts for only using certain features.

Q. Can Osiris set a desired AFR? For example, I’m running a little lean, can you guys fix that with a tune?
A. Yes, our tune can set a desired AFR to fix both rich and lean conditions. If you are running more lean/rich than normal, you should know why before we “fix” it with a tune. If you just start running lean one day for no apparent reason, you will want to figure out why before covering it up with a reflash. But if it was due to adding new hardware or another mod, then a tune is exactly what you need.

Q. How many maps can my ECU hold?
A. There is space for 5 maps on all ECU’s except for the 2004 Titan which only allows 3.

Q. How long does it take to reflash my ECU?
A. A typical reflash takes between 3-8 minutes.

Q. What versions of windows have been tested?
A. Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

Q. How does map switching work?
A. Using the Cruise Control Buttons
-Hold the set/coast toggle down
-Press “Cancel” once for map 1, twice for map 2, etc...
-Then let off the set coast toggle
-When you let the toggle go the cruse "SET" light in the dash will blink once for map 1, twice for map 2, etc...

Q. Is the Cruise Control still functional with the map switching feature?
A. Yes

Q. What about those of us who don't have cruise control? Is there any other way to get multiple maps?
A. Not at this time.

Q. Will the ECU learn around the reflash like other engine management options?
A. No. When the ECU is reflashed it is given new targets to learn to. Over time as the ECU does learn the tune will get better as your vehicle learns to run closer to the new values.

Q. Where do I get my ECU part number?
A. 1) Connect to your vehicle w/ Cipher (if you know someone who has Cipher), and the text box after you connect will tell you.
2) Call your local dealership parts department w/ you VIN and ask for your ECU part number.
The ECU part number changes w/ software revisions, so even identical ECUs can have different part numbers (and they usually do). That's why there isn't a part number that you can get off the case. The number should be similar to 23710-?????

Q. Can Osiris be used to rescale fuel injectors and MAF sensors?
A. Osiris Loader does not support non-stock injectors or MAF sensors. Custom tuning for various components is available at UpRev’s facility in Austin, or at tuning shops using Osiris Pro Tuner software.

Q. Can I modify my own maps and do my own tuning?
A. Osiris currently works only with maps prepared by UpRev or a Pro Shop using our software. For those wanting to tune, we plan to release a customizable version of Osiris in the future.

Jared@UpRev.com
Here's a repost of Jared's Osiris FAQ.

The 10th item down mentions adding the +2 degrees timing with Cipher. I bolded it to make it easier to find.

At one time Jared mentioned future versions of Cipher detecting and logging knock. I suspect that update has been pushed back a bit because of the success of Osiris. It's something that I'm really looking forward to, though.

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev