Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Osiris from Uprev

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here, don't want to read through 1300 posts. What are the benefits of getting this over sending it to technosqure for a flash. I have test pipes, y pipe headers, pulleys, pop charger, plenum spacer, flywheel and plan on cams next year. I also want to up my rev limiter and have the throttle control adjusted to wide open. thanks for the time and help. I have an 03, what gains are people getting with this/similar setups.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
PunKidd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
Thanks for the Manual but I have some concern/question that maybe you have an answer.. I have a Utec and I'm comparing it to the Orisis if it is worth it to switch..

Pros..
1. No more hot start problem with bigger injector. I dont have this problem but people who are using 600cc and above tend to have this problem with Utec.. (a reflash can also fix this problem with Utec)

2. Better to handle Temp/altitude changes... Utec Temp compensation isnt the best but it does the job.

3. Better drivability since you wont worry about ECU to Utec or Utec to ECU switch over. Utec sometimes have this jerkiness on switching over coz there is a difference of A/F and Timing the ECU wants VS what the Utec is running...

Cons..

1. No boost control (I udnerstand why) but I will need to buy a boost controller (Utec has a built in boost controller)
Yes, this is kind of a bummer. The stock ECU doesn't even have a MAP sensor let alone a way to handle a WG.

2. Lack of Knock/detonation counter measure. Stock ECU stop monitoring knock after 5000rpm. Utec has active knock control through out the entire rpm and senstivity is adjsutable and tuner can set how much timing to pull per load and rpm... Uprev has the ability to increase the window but there is no way to control the sensitivity. At higher RPM there are more engine noise and the chance of picking FALSE knock increases so performance will suffer. Also just looking at the manual, you basically switch to a High Det timing map when there is knocking so there is really not much control. Utec will only retard the ignition on the RPM and Load where you are knocking with tuner define number of degrees to remove so you still keep most of your your tune...
I can understand your hesitation due to this point. We are working on gaining a better understanding of the factory knock control and you can bet that we'll add more functionality to the code (like we do for map switching and RTT), but as it is now, I can see how this could be a bit un-nerving.

3. Lack of support with Water/Meth injection.. I have a MAP base meth injection kit so I may need to switch that to a MAF base.
There's no reason that you can't tune the MAP based system even though the ECU is measuring load via the MAF. There will be some variations w/ temperature and altitude changes since the ECU will do a better job of compensating, but the injection kit won't compensate as well (if at all depending on the kit). I’ve tuned multiple Subys w/ Aquamist 3D kits and they were all MAF based. Subys have a MAP sensor, but it is ONLY used for boost control.

4. I have to use the stock 02 Sensor for tuning... I dont trust the stock 02 sensor since its accuracy tend to degrade once you go below 12.0:1 A/F. You said base on your testing, the stock sensor are good up to 11.2:1.. either way I dont want to take a chance..
My only suggestion here would be to install an aftermarket gauge like the Innovate LC-1 so that you can monitor it until you feel better about how well the ECU is hitting it's targets. I ALWAYS recommend an AFR gauge on FI applications anyway and I have yet to build an FI project car that didn’t have one. It’s just good to know if something has gone totally haywire and caused a lean condition (like a malfunction in the fuel system or MAF sensor).

5. Lack of base map support for FI (specially injector size..).. I will have to tune my Fuel table from scratch....
I can usually provide a K Fuel multiplier that, in combination w/ the correct latency, is enough to get the engine started and idling so it can be tuned. The only reason that we don't give out FI base maps is the liability. It's just too easy for something to be slightly different or to go wrong, like a hardware malfunction, and we don't want anyone coming back to us and saying "Hey, your base tune popped my motor!".
I usually don't have any trouble getting a car up and running and drivable on a mild tune within a couple of hours, but I was heavily involved in the engineering and development of the system, so obviously that doesn't say much about what the typical noob to our system is going to be able to accomplish.

I dont mind the tuning part if the first 4 part were address. For NA then I think it is going to be great.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM
athenG

Thanks for the explanation... I know having a standalone wibeband is a must in my opinion (That is why I have 2...lol) for FI cars. My concern is that I would like to be able to log using my wideband. My eyes doesnt move that fast so it is really hard to pin point what A/F I'm getting in certain boost and rpm...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 PM
PunKidd

Thanks for the explanation... I know having a standalone wibeband is a must in my opinion (That is why I have 2...lol) for FI cars. My concern is that I would like to be able to log using my wideband. My eyes doesnt move that fast so it is really hard to pin point what A/F I'm getting in certain boost and rpm...
I hear ya, I was just thinking that if you tuned w/ the stock WB then you were able to verify that it was hitting the targets w/ the gauge you may gain a little more faith in the stock sensor.
We do plan to add logging capability for Innovate, AEM, and other popular after market wide bands that have serial communication, but that's down the road. We plan to add all the logging functionality to the ROM editor so that the system is streamlined so we'll likely add external wide band and sensor logging at the same time.
Jared@uprev.com
Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
PunKidd

Originally Posted by mw9
Same here, don't want to read through 1300 posts. What are the benefits of getting this over sending it to technosqure for a flash. I have test pipes, y pipe headers, pulleys, pop charger, plenum spacer, flywheel and plan on cams next year. I also want to up my rev limiter and have the throttle control adjusted to wide open. thanks for the time and help. I have an 03, what gains are people getting with this/similar setups.
The biggest advantages in my mind are:
- No down time since you do the flash yourself.
- Map switching between 5 alternate maps via your cruse switches.
- Ability to update your tune (again w/o downtime).
- The inclusion of Cipher for data logging and diagnostics which also allows you to get eTunes based off of the logs (of course you have an '03, so you'll need an aftermarket wideband O2 sensor since you don't have them from the factory like the newer Zs).
- And of course end user tuning if that's something that you're interested in.
- There are probably things I’m forgetting, but those are the glaring ones off the top of my head.

We really don't state HP numbers because the very SO much from vehicle to vehicle and dyno to dyno, but it's rare that we make anything less than 8-10 WHP throughout the entire RPM range. In some cases the gains get as high as 30WHP, but like I said, it varies a LOT from car to car and dyno to dyno.

Jared@uprev.com
Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...read a lot and been wanting this for awhile, but a couple questions (hopefully not redundant)

Can I buy only Cipher from you now and then later buy the Standard or Tuner Osiris separately later?

If so, will the OBDII cable still work when I later purchase Osiris?

Little short on $$ for now but in desperate need of a Cipher diagnosis, then tune to follow. Wish Cipher allowed you to clear exhaust cam vtc learning.

Thanx...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 AM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Okay...read a lot and been wanting this for awhile, but a couple questions (hopefully not redundant)

Can I buy only Cipher from you now and then later buy the Standard or Tuner Osiris separately later?

If so, will the OBDII cable still work when I later purchase Osiris?

Little short on $$ for now but in desperate need of a Cipher diagnosis, then tune to follow. Wish Cipher allowed you to clear exhaust cam vtc learning.

Thanx...
Yes, all our systems are upgradeable. You can start with Cipher and then purchase the Osiris Flash Service later. Just make sure to notate that you already own Cipher.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by UpRev
Yes, all our systems are upgradeable. You can start with Cipher and then purchase the Osiris Flash Service later. Just make sure to notate that you already own Cipher.
Excellent.
So in other words I buy Cipher from you with your cable $300
Later (for example) I now want Osirus Standard Tune $700.
But already have Cipher from you with your cable, so Standard Osirus tune will only cost me $400 not $700, correct?

If so, how do I do that on your web site. There is no option to purchase Osirus separately without Cipher already included in pckg price.

Sorry for being a pain....just want clarity before I order on your site.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 10-30-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: want clarity
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
UpRev
Banned

Excellent.
But already have Cipher from you with your cable, so Standard Osirus tune will only cost me $400 not $700, correct?

If so, how do I do that on your web site. There is no option to purchase Osirus separately without Cipher already included in pckg price.

Correct, it would be a $400 upgrade.

Currently the way our website works you would purchase Osiris Flash Service for $400 and notate that you are upgrading from Cipher. We would send out the appropriate software CD and you would get 3 free eTunes.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 AM
OCG35
Banned

Excellent.

If you want a little road trip, there's this:
http://g35driver.com/forums/socal-me...t-nov-8th.html

UpRev will be there and Osiris products will be raffled off and purchase pricing discounted 10%... phone orders (day of only) are available too - but I don’t know if the shipping costs would negate the cost savings.

It looks to be shaping up as a worthwhile event even for out-of-towners to attend
Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by UpRev
Correct, it would be a $400 upgrade.

Currently the way our website works you would purchase Osiris Flash Service for $400 and notate that you are upgrading from Cipher. We would send out the appropriate software CD and you would get 3 free eTunes.
Ok..I see how that works.
Thank you for the response. Ordering Cipher today
Old 10-30-2008, 12:17 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by OCG35
If you want a little road trip, there's this:
http://g35driver.com/forums/socal-me...t-nov-8th.html

UpRev will be there and Osiris products will be raffled off and purchase pricing discounted 10%... phone orders (day of only) are available too - but I don’t know if the shipping costs would negate the cost savings.

It looks to be shaping up as a worthwhile event even for out-of-towners to attend
OH SNAP!! That's an awesome day planned that I can't make down to SoCal Thanks for the 411 though
Old 10-30-2008, 05:31 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 8th is right about when I was planning to order Osiris...who and what number do I call for the discount? Or is that just for Cali folk?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
The 8th is right about when I was planning to order Osiris...who and what number do I call for the discount? Or is that just for Cali folk?
did you read the first post in the link I attached?... bottom of that post has a link to Shawn's site.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
350Zenophile

Yes...just didn't know if I was supposed to call him or UPREV directly. Any disadvantage to buying from a vendor instead of direct? Would I still work with UPREV on my mail-in tunes or with Shawn?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Yes...just didn't know if I was supposed to call him or UPREV directly. Any disadvantage to buying from a vendor instead of direct? Would I still work with UPREV on my mail-in tunes or with Shawn?
depends on what you buy... if you get the flash tune you would be working with UpRev with their support... if you bought the end user tuner (some ppl refer to as Pro Tuner) - you would be pretty much on your own, but Shawn might assist with Q & A... if you bought the package that includes dyno tune through Shawn, your support would be through him...

His contact info is on his website... I suggest calling him and work through what options are available and what would work for you.

The discount is being given by Shawn not UpRev, so you would be working with him (for the event packages and pricing)…
Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 PM
twitch579

Got my car dyno'ed after the base flash and im very happy with the results. The car feels like a different car all around. It pulls so much smoother and faster. After 6k Rpm its a monster!

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ipppeeeee.html

Dyno Results there.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:07 AM
350Zenophile

depends on what you buy... if you get the flash tune you would be working with UpRev with their support... if you bought the end user tuner (some ppl refer to as Pro Tuner) - you would be pretty much on your own, but Shawn might assist with Q & A... if you bought the package that includes dyno tune through Shawn, your support would be through him...

His contact info is on his website... I suggest calling him and work through what options are available and what would work for you.

The discount is being given by Shawn not UpRev, so you would be working with him (for the event packages and pricing)…
Thanks OCG35! roger all that.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
OCG35
Banned

I should add… UpRev is being VERY supportive at this event! Not only are they donating great products for raffle, they are appearing in person to answer questions and support the VQ community!

It just dawned on me when reading the updated posts, that the way I phrased it could be misconstrued as downplaying UpRev (or at least not giving them the credit deserved).

Thanks Jared and all @ UpRev for your continued support and a great product – Osiris!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 AM
UpRev
Banned

The event was awesome. It was good to meet everyone. Hopefully I'll have a blog post up about it before too long with some pics. Shawns dyno and bay setup worked out great, I lost count of the number of cars that they did dyno pulls with that day but it was HUGE.

Thanks to everyone that showed up!

Quick Reply: Osiris from Uprev