Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Knock Logs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:31 AM
Nietzsche

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Logs

So here's some logs from last night. I got as much information as I could think of and can't figure out why I have knock. Is it easy to feel or under heavy acceleration can you not tell? If it's phantom knock I'll figure something out but I'm not sure. I can't see where the problem is.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Knock Logs.zip (7.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-12-2007, 08:00 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on line 48, it looks like the ECU is picking up knock, but the UTEC isn't......Stock IGN timing is at 7 degrees under WOT...that's not making sense.

also, what is going on at lines 70-76? were you "shifting without lifting?" it appears to be so, and you were getting some "shift knock."

I have never messed around with my UTEC in MAF, but these are just some of the things I am seeing. also, the ECU timing just seems really strange on your car.....
Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Nietzsche

The ECU timing always looks like that when the UTEC takes control, at least in my case. Once the UTEC hands timing back over the ECU shoots up to normal. I'm auto so I don't lift off when shifting, and the "shift knock" doesn't happen all the time. This was the only run that gave me knock, every run after produced no problems. I'm lost when looking through the files because I don't see anything out of place.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
The ECU timing always looks like that when the UTEC takes control, at least in my case. Once the UTEC hands timing back over the ECU shoots up to normal. I'm auto so I don't lift off when shifting, and the "shift knock" doesn't happen all the time. This was the only run that gave me knock, every run after produced no problems. I'm lost when looking through the files because I don't see anything out of place.

like I was saying, I have never messed with MAF tuning a UTEC. When MAP tuning a UTEC, the stock timing logs look normal.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:12 AM
SmokyTyrz

As you can see in the ignition logs from this post:
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...4&postcount=16

He is using MAF tuning and the stock ECU timing is not dropping so low, or doing anything unusual when handing off to the UTEC. Though the UTEC does ignore variations from the stock timing, as shown in the charts.

What gear were you during this pull? 2nd-3rd? Why did you shift during your log? You should log in 4th from about 3000 to redline.

And what did you use to log the table show in the "ECU" tab? And where is the rest of the UTEC log, you are missing some columns (eg. MAF v, WB AFR, Mod Fuel, etc.).
Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Nietzsche

The ECU section was done with cipher, I erased some of the UTEC logs as they where irrelevant. The MAF and Mod Fuel is still there however but the WB isn't connected with the UTEC.

In my experience doing a 3rd gear pull is a lot less stressful to the components. I never have problems with pulls, it's only when driving spirited. Launches and hitting it out of turns are when knock is produced and my tune is for all occasions not just highest HP. The ECU log contains the MPH, this particuliar run was from a tight turn on to a highway so I started around 10-15 MPH and went up to I think 75 or so.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:12 AM
SmokyTyrz

Right, but I believe you need to do your pulls in 4th gear to get the most accurate data for exactly that fact: you want a tune that will apply as generally as possible to all conditions. I believe if you pull in any other gear below 4th then the data you tune around will be not be accurate as to be generalizable.

We need someone with more domain expertise in this area to chime in. But I believe we stick with doing pulls in the 1:1 gear, which technically in our case would be 5th. Maybe most folks use 4th because, at least for road-tuning, that means you "only" need to hit about 112mph or so at redline.

Last edited by SmokyTyrz; 07-13-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Nietzsche

My 4th gear goes alot higher than 112, I hit 100 in 3rd. The reason I have gotten away from pull tuning is that racing the car, ie putting high loads of variable nature, is much more telling of how the tune will hold up in the long run. At least to me.