Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

How to install utec on g35

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
805g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install utec on g35

wondering whose done this themselves. I have had the utec for about a month and a half and i will soon have my turbo xs tuner reg to slap together with it.

So the install has to happen soon, wondering if anyone has a walkthrough/diy for the utec?

Any help would be wonderful!!!

thanks all
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Installing a utec in a G is a matter of perceverance. you know it can be done because others have done; you just have to figure out how to make it fit.

When I installed mine, I called TXS, and they told me that it'll fit.

I cut the stock ecu bracket in half, and then cut off the fire wall studs. then, I could wedge it up there. even still, it took many tries to get the utec in a spot where everything fit well.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its easy!!! (now) hehehe
Old 09-01-2007, 02:41 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Installing a utec in a G is a matter of perceverance. you know it can be done because others have done; you just have to figure out how to make it fit.

When I installed mine, I called TXS, and they told me that it'll fit.

I cut the stock ecu bracket in half, and then cut off the fire wall studs. then, I could wedge it up there. even still, it took many tries to get the utec in a spot where everything fit well.
Did the same thing for my g35, dremel FTW
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

there are several threads on this with pics.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM
RebelinRI
Banned

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
its easy!!! (now) hehehe
I put mine in in a record time of 2 weeks, I think. I cut a few things out under there and you'll need to zip tie it in place. Take the instructions and throw them as far as you can. You'll be better off!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
TTRANK

+1

It's a PITA but will fit with some work.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

I installed mine back to back with my stock ECU, with the OEM ECU bracket sandwiched in between. I used some carpet tape and some zip ties to hold it all together, and then bolted the OEM bracket back in the car. The OEM ECU's plug is on the bottom, and the UTEC map switch is on the bottom. I had to bend one bracket out of the way, then just shove like crazy. Be careful not to pinch the UTEC wires coming out of the top of the unit. Oh, I also cut off both UTEC mounting brackets so that I only had a square box left with no legs sticking off of it. I also removed the funny looking 'through' bolt so things would sit flat.

When it was all said and done I could fit EVERY piece back on the car, including the bottom black underdash trim piece. I had to readjust the UTEC a few times, but I finally got it in there with no bulge at all.

BEFORE YOU INSTALL the UTEC decide what all features you want to use (such as boost solenoid output, aux solenoid output, etc). You must remove the entire thing before you can change any of the wiring. Also, install a USB cable and leave it in the car permanently. Make sure you ground the black wire coming out of the solenoid plug EVEN IF YOU DON'T PLAN TO USE THE SOLENOIDS. Also, make sure you have the latest firmware so you never have to remove that thing, as it is a pain.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
805g

ok, i believe that this job is better done by a tuner or somebody who has installed on themselves.

any suggestions? i'm located in santa barbara ca 93110

thanks all
Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
KPierson
Banned

If you leave it up to a 'tuner' it will most likely be stuffed up behind your dash, hung by a single zip tie, and nothing will fit back together right. It took a lot of time a patience to get all the panels back on right without cutting any factory plastic pieces!