Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

ECU Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 AM
beau87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Swap

I know this topic has been covered many times but, I have not read of anyone that is going down my specific path so bear with me. I have a 2006 350z base model and I would like to swap out the base ECU with one from an enthusiast or touring model. I know you need to “marry” the key and the ECU for starters and the ECU needs to go in to its learning mode. My question is can anyone see any issues with doing this? Is it possible? I expect to have some error codes flashing, but I can work around that. Please don’t kill me on this I’m reaching out for information and help.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:18 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's gotta match the BCU/BCM as well... All the various computers & components need to talk to each other and recognize each other. Makes it harder for chop-shop to steal your ride and swap out the ecu for a new set of keys. It's not nearly that simple.

Last edited by gothchick; 04-28-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:27 AM
beau87

Looking at the functions in the manual for the BCM I do not see any readings that are specific to the Base or Touring models, I only see a different schematic for the Roadster model. If I am reading this incorrectly, someone straighten me out on this. I really want to accomplish this swap.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ What is the advantage of doing this??
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
beau87

For one I like the challenge of doing modifications like this and it would also allow for any future upgrades to the car that are not available to the Base model. In the future I would like to change around the intake, exhaust and the mapping to the ECU, to change this mapping on the fly I would need to get the cruise control working for one. Any insight given is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
beau87

Well I got very little feedback so I'm going to assume that I can swap out the base ECU with one from an enthusiast or touring model. I am interested in hiring a Nissan Tech that can program the ECU to my car within New England. I can drive to them or they can do the programming at my house. I am very serious about this swap and I am willing to compensate the Nissan Tech or other skilled person appropriately. Please PM with your info.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Typically you won't be able to just drop in an ECU from an enthusiast or touring into ,say a base. first you'll need to get the immobilizer code overwritten so your key will start the car.

secondly, you could, however, input data that is from say a Track edition into an ECU from an Enthusiast, granted whomever is moving the data over-writes it correctly.

When we were doing beta testing for the Technosquare ECUs, i had a g35coupe ECU in my car, but running a 350z program.

being a Base model Z, you will see no performance gains from just swapping ecus. your best bet is to tune your current base model ECU to your mods.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by Chebosto
being a Base model Z, you will see no performance gains from just swapping ecus. your best bet is to tune your current base model ECU to your mods.
What he said.

The ECU's are the same, why would you think one ECU has an advantage over another? It is a time wasting "challenge" as you say, because it has zero advantages and is stupid imho. Buy an aftermarket EMS and call it a day.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:21 AM
beau87

Originally Posted by App6MT
What he said.

The ECU's are the same, why would you think one ECU has an advantage over another? It is a time wasting "challenge" as you say, because it has zero advantages and is stupid imho. Buy an aftermarket EMS and call it a day.

I never said I was going to have any performance gain on swapping ECU only the convenience of using the cruise control switches to change the mapping of the ECU as I stated in the above post. So I will be able to change the mapping on the fly with the cruise control switches on the Base ECU? I guess I will be able to drop in say TCS system on the Base ECU also? The switches for both sides of the steering wheel and associated hardware have now been installed in my base 350Z with the radio working and the cruise control not functioning. I do not want to have to stop and plug in a handheld unit or laptop in to my OBD III port to change out the mapping. Did I do a better job explaining my reasoning??
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by beau87
I never said I was going to have any performance gain on swapping ECU only the convenience of using the cruise control switches to change the mapping of the ECU as I stated in the above post. So I will be able to change the mapping on the fly with the cruise control switches on the Base ECU? I guess I will be able to drop in say TCS system on the Base ECU also? The switches for both sides of the steering wheel and associated hardware have now been installed in my base 350Z with the radio working and the cruise control not functioning. I do not want to have to stop and plug in a handheld unit or laptop in to my OBD III port to change out the mapping. Did I do a better job explaining my reasoning??
Possibly but you did originally say this:

For one I like the challenge of doing modifications like this and it would also allow for any future upgrades to the car that are not available to the Base model. In the future I would like to change around the intake, exhaust and the mapping to the ECU, to change this mapping on the fly I would need to get the cruise control working for one. Any insight given is greatly appreciated.
Which leads people to believe you were doing it for performance gain - your base ECU couldn't compensate which it can.

Sorry I have no more additional information that would be of any use to you, good luck.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So I will be able to change the mapping on the fly with the cruise control switches on the Base ECU? I guess I will be able to drop in say TCS system on the Base ECU also? The switches for both sides of the steering wheel and associated hardware have now been installed in my base 350Z with the radio working and the cruise control not functioning. I do not want to have to stop and plug in a handheld unit or laptop in to my OBD III port to change out the mapping. Did I do a better job explaining my reasoning??
assuming you correctly swapped the wiring harness that has Cruise Control, and you correctly installed the TCS sensors and their associated wiring harnesses, perhaps the Enthusiast ECU would work... but to goto all that trouble, you might as well have bought an enthusiast edition... imho, a drop in solution would not be feesible.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM
CSF

Originally Posted by Chebosto
assuming you correctly swapped the wiring harness that has Cruise Control, and you correctly installed the TCS sensors and their associated wiring harnesses, perhaps the Enthusiast ECU would work... but to goto all that trouble, you might as well have bought an enthusiast edition... imho, a drop in solution would not be feesible.
not to bash on your project, but what he said ^.

i can't give you any info because i have no idea. but just out of curiousity, why didn't you buy a different model in the first place?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
beau87

Well seeing that the wiring harness for cruise and radio controls comes wired on all models, I don't think it is wired incorrectly now. My 2006 only required steering controls added on the steering wheel itself, spiral cable and such was already installed. Brake and Clutch switches dropped right in to brackets already installed on car, took the tape off the connectors and both switches were installed within 6 minutes. If I would have known about switching the ECU mapping thru the cruise control switches I would have probably bought a higher model, but I am now trying to correct the issue.