Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Zeitronix ZT-2 RPM logging and UTEC incompatibility.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM
BlinkerFluid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeitronix ZT-2 RPM logging and UTEC incompatibility.

Alright guys and gals,

I will start by saying UTEC and the Zietronix ZT-2 are both excellent products though I had a little issue logging RPM between the two. I will post my findings here in hope to to find someone who had the same issue, or help someone in the future.

I installed a ZT-2 with display when I installed my APS TT kit, all was well and logging was great.

I had a water leak into the car that waterlogged the ZT-2 pretty bad, and didn't think to do a test log to see if RPM was still working as it seemed fine via the display. I also upgraded to the newest version of the logging software from Zeitronix. I then removed the APS UniChip and installed a UTEC.

Upon starting to tune the UTEC I noticed I had a very strange random but steady RPM reading coming up in my logs, -755, 300, something like that constant.

I figured I had burnt up the controller from the water intrusion, the or the new software was causing a problem. I also had the UTEC install in the back of my mind.

I switched back to the older version of the software that had worked for me previously, no dice. At this point I contacete Zeitronix tech support to see if they could repair or replace the unit at a reduced cost instead of buying another whole kit. I also mentioned taking the UTEC out of the loop and testing it when I had time.

Today I got around to removing the UTEC and the RPM started logging properly, I then connected the RPM pickup wire to the ECU side of the UTEC (blue wiring) and it works great. I figure if I raise the rev limit via UTEC, I will loose RPM signal at the factory ECU rev limit, I can live with this for now.

In the end, the coil output from the UTEC cannot be read by the ZT-2. Why the output is different I can't say, I suppose TurboXS would be where I should direct that question.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited by BlinkerFluid; 06-07-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Madelinot

I have the exact same setup as you and I never had any problem when I switched to the UTEC... Sorry I can't help more...
Old 06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
BlinkerFluid

Would you happen to know what ECU signal you are using for the RPM input?

Zeitronix suggested using an injector driver, or the cam/crank sensors directly. Personally I feel the injector driver would be unacceptable because on decel fuel cut the injectors are shut off. I'd rather not lose the signal at any point in a log.

I may try one of the sensors tomorrow.

Zeitronix tech support has been excellent, even replying to my email on the weekend.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Madelinot

I'm sorry, I can't recall, I installed it 3 years ago. I tapped one of the wires going to the ECU, but I don't know which one. Search for it, it should be posted on the forum somewhere...

Good luck,
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to have this same issue, brand new install out of the box. UTEC+Zt-2. Boost, EGT, and AFR log fine, but RPM and TPS seem to have issues.

RPM was giving some negative integer that made no sense, so I moved it to PIN 62 of the blue side of the UTEC, that didn't work either.

I moved it BACK to pin 62 Y/R and now it just reads 0, no more negative, doesn't change or anything. I can't figure it out.

I tested with a volt meter and can see that the signal is the correct voltage from Y/R to the Green zt-2 wire. However the Zt-2 doesn't log it correctly.

The TPS seems to hit a max of 40% even though I know Im over 40% throttle.

Any ideas? What pin did you use on the Blue Wiring? 62?
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
deanfootlong

im having a problem with my rpm signal as well. i dont remember which pin i wired the RPM signal to, but apparently its wrong. any info on which pin gives proper RPM reading for ZT2 would be awesome. thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM
BlinkerFluid

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid
Today I got around to removing the UTEC and the RPM started logging properly, I then connected the RPM pickup wire to the ECU side of the UTEC (blue wiring) and it works great. I figure if I raise the rev limit via UTEC, I will loose RPM signal at the factory ECU rev limit, I can live with this for now.
I used pin 62 on the blue UTEC harness.

That's where I ended and it has been working fine ever since, even above the factory redline.

I never got anywhere with Zeitronix' tech support. The tone I got from him was that I basically had no idea what I was doing. He would not accept the fact that there may be an issue between the ZT-2 and the UTEC coil output.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:28 PM
xav_350z

Originally Posted by deanfootlong
im having a problem with my rpm signal as well. i dont remember which pin i wired the RPM signal to, but apparently its wrong. any info on which pin gives proper RPM reading for ZT2 would be awesome. thanks
same here...
i also using pin 62 for RPM signal.
You guys think that i might need an RPM signal converter ?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried multiple signals from Coil Ignition, to Injector, to the Coil right at the source and never once got a proper reading. Still haven't got it working...

Seems like Id have to go through every wire, I dont get it. I thought the Injector signal was working, until logging and it goes to stupid numbers like 28000 LOL

Or I would stab the throttle and see 8000. Doesn't make sense at all.