Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev wants suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
SAE J1979 OBDII scan compliance would be great. I had to purchase another generic scan tool to test readiness status (SRT). Now I find out that the SAE spec has multiple modes that the FSM refers to for testing by generic scan tools. It would be super if Cipher could be used as a fully SAE J1979 compliant generic scan tool (all modes).

I cannot get my EVAP system to show ready with my Osiris flash (all DTC enabled). Driving me nuts trying to drive in the FSM-specified patterns to get the SRT code to read "COMPLETE"...
That is a good suggestion.

I'm not sure how much effort it would take to code and add... But it would be a good selling point for Cipher...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:53 PM
BlinkerFluid

Having used the user tunable version for a whole day, with a few self induced issues I must say, the support at UpRev is great! Thanks Jared.

I'll make a couple of suggestions that I would deffinately find use for.

A few that were already mentioned.

No lift to shift- I my self have dropped .4 of a sec off of a 1/4 mile run by using this. The park/neutral switch input can be used as a trigger, even if a relay or second pole has to be wired in on the clutch switch, the cruise control cancel switch that monitors the clutch may even have an available set of contacts, I'll have to look. Hardware would be minimal. This clutch signal, and a throttle value of 90% or more would activate this.

2 step, for getting off the line at a desired launch RPM. This would be activated either by a vehicle speed of zero and a throttle value of 90% or more, with a user definable "release speed" in vehicle MPH, or by the same factors as the NLTS.

Knock sensor activity, and the ability to define where the knock sensor has authority, and how sensitive it is.

E85 support, I love the stuff as a FI fuel.

Have the ECU ignore the brake pedal signal while the car is moving. I currently have the aux solenoid on my UTEC driving this exact device (though it uses engine RPM) and have had no issues, the ability to do a burnout, and brake boost is entertaining.

User definable low and high speed fan operation, not necessary for most, but still an option I'd like to have.

Extended maps so we can either get higher resolution, or go to a higher max RPM on the tables.

A few that weren't mentioned, you said get creative.

Anti-lag, an option to pull timing back a bit, and add some fuel to get the bigger turbos spooled on the line. Yep, it's hard on parts, but with this system I can leave the line at 30+ psi on my 2.0L with a 74mm inducer turbocharger. Activated just like the 2 step.

A USB flash drive/dongle to be used for transfering log and ROM files from the computer I use for flashing to my desktop where I do my editing. I'd like to be able to leave my cable in the car and still view the ROMs on my desktop.

Lack of ECU outputs was mentioned, but I'll take another shot at it. Any type of controllable ECU output to be used for boost control, water injection activation, nitrous, or anything else. If none are available, can we eliminate an unnecessary circuit and use it, such as the EVAP purge solenoid.

Along with above, any unused ECU inputs, that we can hook a AEM 5 bar map sensor up to for boost logging or any other type of sensor/switch we may want to monitor in logs. We could steal an input from EVAP here too.

User adjustable TPS gain and offset, to make sure the throttle is 100% open when the pedal is on the floor, though this may be addressed in your "UpRev tuned throttle."

User definable closed loop coolant temperature. I don't know what coolant temp the ECU decides to go into closed loop, but it may be higher than what those with the lower temp Nismo thermostat see.

Security code. Possibly have a certain map slot be the vehicle disabled without code slot. The vehicle cannot be started, or the map changed with out the code. Code input is by pressing the throttle pedal in a pattern, such as the ECU reset procedure.

Activation of the CEL on solid to indicate faults such as high coolant temperature or flash it to indicate excessive knock sensor activity, all user definable.

CEL shift light, or even low fuel light shift light.

Since the fuel gauge seems to be driven by the ECU, and not directly from the sending unit, can we get a user selected gauge out of it. It can possibly show knock sensor activity, AFR, more accurate coolant temp, voltage or boost, if we can get an input into the ECU. Given, there is no scale on the gauge, but you may be able to pick out an issue if it's not acting "normal." It seems the water temp gauge only reads a sensor, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kill the A/C compressor on WOT. This may be in the factory ECU program.

The ability to set all the rediness flags complete. Possible legal issues? I can't see how UpRev as a company can be held liable for a customer voluntarily (after checking a "are you sure, this may be illegal" box) installing off road parts on their car. It could be the undocumented feature.

Software reversal of the VDC switch, when I push the button it turns the VDC system along with the light on the dash on, default is off.

Reflash only parts of the ROM that are changed, not the whole thing every time.

That's all I could come up with for now, I'd be more than willing to help out anywhere I can if needed.

Thanks,
JRM

Last edited by BlinkerFluid; 12-08-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

How about an option in Cipher to reset the throttle body? It could walk you through the steps and take care of the timing needed for each part.

Maybe an option to reset Limp mode could also be created.

Might increase Cipher/Osiris sales...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Make a new cable where the OBD-II cable/connector comes off at 90 degrees instead of straight out. That was the cable won't get in the way of your feet while logging runs.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
Make a new cable where the OBD-II cable/connector comes off at 90 degrees instead of straight out. That was the cable won't get in the way of your feet while logging runs.
I loop the cable over the steering column... doesnt get in the way of feet or legs - but need to be cautious of shifter (but that would be the case no matter how it was designed).
Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Cipher now and only ever use it to clear the occasional code when necessary because the interface works so poorly on my carPC. Without better carPC integration, I have no reason to upgrade.

Optimally, some kind of API so that cipher can be controlled and output displayed by a front end. This way the information it gathers and capabilities it has can truly be integrated into the car. This would make it possible for us Z owners to build a little bit of the coolness of the GTR into our own cars. For instance a popular frontend like RoadRunner is capable of passing commands to iGuidance and displaying its output for gps mapping. Throw on top of that the recent availability of cheap g meters and GPS and if integrated properly the possibility of racetrack data collection.

But I have asked for this before, so it seems like a pie in the sky request.

So barring that, I wish it worked better on small screens (target 700x500 or so) and was more user friendly if used in the same car over and over again. So at minimum, it would be nice if it displayed the the last used gauges at application start up without any other user input. Having those large buttons that take up the whole screen, another window to tell me it is connected, then to verify I want to see all the same stuff again and then resizing everything is a waste of time I gave up doing a long time ago.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by OCG35
I loop the cable over the steering column... doesnt get in the way of feet or legs - but need to be cautious of shifter (but that would be the case no matter how it was designed).
Me too, but I don't want to bend or crimp the cable. It would be nicer if the cable came out parallel to the dashboard. You could run it under the steering wheel and keep it out of the way.

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I have Cipher now and only ever use it to clear the occasional code when necessary because the interface works so poorly on my carPC. Without better carPC integration, I have no reason to upgrade.

Optimally, some kind of API so that cipher can be controlled and output displayed by a front end. This way the information it gathers and capabilities it has can truly be integrated into the car. This would make it possible for us Z owners to build a little bit of the coolness of the GTR into our own cars. For instance a popular frontend like RoadRunner is capable of passing commands to iGuidance and displaying its output for gps mapping. Throw on top of that the recent availability of cheap g meters and GPS and if integrated properly the possibility of racetrack data collection.

But I have asked for this before, so it seems like a pie in the sky request.

So barring that, I wish it worked better on small screens (target 700x500 or so) and was more user friendly if used in the same car over and over again. So at minimum, it would be nice if it displayed the the last used gauges at application start up without any other user input. Having those large buttons that take up the whole screen, another window to tell me it is connected, then to verify I want to see all the same stuff again and then resizing everything is a waste of time I gave up doing a long time ago.
Cipher's interface could be greatly improved, but it is not a priority until the HR and VHR versions of Osiris are finished and selling.

It would be nice to be able to arrange Cipher's dashboard like you want it by dragging the parameters... it would be nice to save "sets" of logging parameters... one for racing parameters... one for tuning parameters... one for diagnostic parameters... it would be nice to select the color you want a parameter to be and save it... it would be nice to arrange the graphs and combine the logged parameters you want and always have them show up the same way... you wouldn't have to move everything every time you look at a new/different graph... it would be nice if all the parameters you select to be logged would be saved for the next time (A/F Ratio)...

Don't think that I'm ragging on these guys... I'm a big fan of UpRev and their products... Cipher is a great tool... It's one of the best secrets out there...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM
UpRev
Banned

Having two cable exit options just won't work. Inventory levels, and then customers asking to exchange their cable for the other etc. we chose to go with the industry standard on this one. You have a better chance of getting Nissan to move the OBDII port, seeing as how their placement affects even their own cables.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Michla22

Just unscrew it from the bottom of the dash and relocate it - just two screws/bolts.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
XIceDragonX

Psh, that's how I roll too, I moved my obd2 port (with the help of solder and a lot of extra cable)... all you have to do now is pop out where the ash tray on the 03 350z would be... mines a sweet coin holder with felt inside! JK JK, I didn't try all that because lord knows, even as a computer guy... I am afraid of modifying all that jazz and the types of errors I would get.

P.S. - the new site needs one of them sweet non skip-able 10 minute long intro... with a great tune to go with some flash video of someone famous... like pam anderson... driving the Z and getting out and saying "Only Osiris" all vivaciously!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Guys, easy fix..

http://www.amazon.com/OBD-II-Extensi.../dp/B000SBCHCA
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Michla22
Just unscrew it from the bottom of the dash and relocate it - just two screws/bolts.
I have never actually crawled under there to see how the port is attached. I just feel for the plug with my hands. Good idea!

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
I wonder if the extension cable would mess up Osiris' ability to read the tuning license.

Otherwise... great idea.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

It shouldn't. You are just extending the wires.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
kd07z

can uprev make a adjustment to the speedmeter for those who have changed their pumpkin or tire diameter?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I have never actually crawled under there to see how the port is attached. I just feel for the plug with my hands. Good idea!

I wonder if the extension cable would mess up Osiris' ability to read the tuning license.

Otherwise... great idea.
The license gets copied to the ECU... My bad...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by kd07z
can uprev make a adjustment to the speedmeter for those who have changed their pumpkin or tire diameter?
Changing the pumpkin or tires does not affect the accuracy of the speedo...
Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM
kd07z

the speed sensor is in the trans, so when you change the tires or axle gears you will have inacurate speed on the speedo. greddy's EMU has the ability to adjust speedmeter. just putting my opinions in the suggestion box.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
UpRev
Banned

https://my350z.com/forum/meet-ups-ev...-feb-15th.html
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Any way to incorporate an indicator like this to tell which map it is on. I know it blinks the amount of which map it is on, but this would give me ease of mind.:
Attached Thumbnails Uprev wants suggestions.-image.jpeg  
Old 09-05-2009, 10:56 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Map switching for base models
That'd definitely increase my likelyhood of purchasing the Osiris tune

Quick Reply: Uprev wants suggestions.