Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Uprev wants suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM
UpRev
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Uprev wants suggestions.

Ok so. Since our new website won't have a forum on it for a few weeks, I figured I'd start the discussion here.

I'm looking for insight from customers. What you wish a software tuning company would build for your car. Please keep it to one post, try and make a valid point, and update your post as you feel necessary. I do not want this to become an argument. I just want to know what you feel is missing out there.

We're getting ready to release Ver 2.0, and I'd like to know if we're on point or if we're going to start a revolution.

There are a number of you that are rather familiar with our product, and some of you that may not understand what we offer. I want to hear from everyone, the more feedback on whats missing out there, the better.

I may not even respond unless I seek clarity on your ideas, I don't want to end up leading anyone to what you might think I want to hear. I want your ideas (not mine).

I will say again, please keep it sane and leave the flamewars for elsewhere, no arguments, just some ideas. I'll have the thread locked or deleted if it gets out of hand.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to see functions like thermo fan on and off adjustments. Also speedometer corrections for different final drive ratios and wheel and tire packages. Knock sensor feedback. Target AFR adjustments. E85 tuning for 350z. I think the forum is the wright direction but I am not sure getting support from power tuners instead of Uprev is a good idea. Haltech tried that in the mid 90's and they no longer have a US distributor. Will depend on how good your power tuners are. Hope this was the kind of thing you wanted?

Last edited by turbotoy; 08-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Ataru074

Well... pretty much would be nice to have safety features for track use (and abuse). full time fan activation (or selection of the triggering temp) , timing detuning on the fly with "presets" on a pocket pc version (that could be used like the old style "managers") and doesn't require a full carputer (weight saving for track use). couple of realtime gauges (coolant temp, knock sensor, a/f ratio) on the main interface.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Ataru074
Well... pretty much would be nice to have safety features for track use (and abuse). full time fan activation (or selection of the triggering temp) , timing detuning on the fly with "presets" on a pocket pc version (that could be used like the old style "managers") and doesn't require a full carputer (weight saving for track use). couple of realtime gauges (coolant temp, knock sensor, a/f ratio) on the main interface.
After plenty of track time in multiple cars I can attest to the idea that electric fans are only good till you're going about 15-25 mph. After that you either need better aero to shove air into the radiator and expel it from under the hood, or a mechanical fan. Electric fans don't serve the CFM needed at this point and they can run at a constant 10-20 amps depending on size and number of fans, which puts a fairly large damper on the alternator. Mechanical fans (light weight aftermarket ones anyway) don't have as much parasitic loss as people think, and they have less than an alternator running at full boil.

I've never seen electric fans do much beyond SCCA parking lot racing or drifting where there's not a whole lot of forward movement (sideways doesn't count for cooling the radiator). We're actually going out to the track this Saturday, we'll check out how the 350 runs with them on and off. The driver and car are very consistent, but I'll verify my thoughts and get back to you.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by UpRev
We're actually going out to the track this Saturday, we'll check out how the 350 runs with them on and off. The driver and car are very consistent, but I'll verify my thoughts and get back to you.
I see another 350z at TWS this saturday... if it's you stop by and say hallo
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotoy
I would like to see functions like thermo fan on and off adjustments. Also speedometer corrections for different final drive ratios and wheel and tire packages. Knock sensor feedback. Target AFR adjustments. E85 tuning for 350z. I think the forum is the wright direction but I am not sure getting support from power tuners instead of Uprev is a good idea. Haltech tried that in the mid 90's and they no longer have a US distributor. Will depend on how good your power tuners are. Hope this was the kind of thing you wanted?
there is no speedo correction needed...final drives don't affect speedo calibration on a Z/G

You guys know what I want full map conversion, without having to use the stock MAF
Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
You guys know what I want full map conversion, without having to use the stock MAF
lol. .

i thought that cipher had the fan on/off option? or do you mean for this to be a part of the osiris function all its own? another cool function would be injector timing control

Last edited by Hoooper; 08-12-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

fn on/off I'd think is easy enough for them to do. I personally have no need for it, stock range works just fine for me
Old 08-12-2008, 09:06 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I'd like the ability to save and use "Profiles" when viewing logs in Cipher.

For example: If I save a profile named airFuel, Cipher will know to always group vehicle speed, throttle, and accelerator in the first graph and use the colors I like/selected... It will group all the A/F sensor data I saved in my profile into the second graph with the colors I like... It will group the timing information in the third graph... etc.

The ability to save a single Cipher log profile would be much better than the way it is now.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like the ability to get rid of the 'soft' rev limiter on revup models.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:06 AM
GrayG35

id like osiris to have a few of the features that cobb has like the dyno estimator, 0-60 and track time. Also a library of maps that we can choose from once we get the street tuner out. We should also be able to share maps with each other.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope the end user version gets the ability to turn CEL codes on/off. I'm still testing what Jared did for me, but so far it has worked like a charm (details to follow after 1000 miles of testing). Take a look at all the poor folks with 07s trying to get rid of CELs with either HFCs or test pipes.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-13-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM
rednezz

For me the ability to adjust the VTC angles on the fly just like the timing and fuel maps. It takes to long flash after every adjustment. Also would like to see if you can adjust the VTC angles past 6600 rpm.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
there is no speedo correction needed...final drives don't affect speedo calibration on a Z/G

The only reason you don't want to use the MAF is because you're silly.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Ataru074

They make REALLY light weight portable computers now for way cheap. EEE PC is $500 and weighs as much as you going to the bathroom before you race.

By Pocket PC you mean phone I assume? Phones don't have USB ports on them, so that's a no go. With the end user tuning software you will be able to change your tune at the track, though I wouldn't imagine you'd need todo that while moving.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Hoooper
lol. .
injector timing control
Already building that. Should be in the Pro Tuner release in the next month.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrayG35
id like osiris to have a few of the features that cobb has like the dyno estimator, 0-60 and track time. Also a library of maps that we can choose from once we get the street tuner out. We should also be able to share maps with each other.
Along with this, the ability to measure acceleration times along the lines of 60-130mph or 70-120mph would be useful.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UpRev
The only reason you don't want to use the MAF is because you're silly.
in a good pioneering way, yes !
Old 08-13-2008, 12:39 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by __jb
I'd like the ability to save and use "Profiles" when viewing logs in Cipher.

For example: If I save a profile named airFuel, Cipher will know to always group vehicle speed, throttle, and accelerator in the first graph and use the colors I like/selected... It will group all the A/F sensor data I saved in my profile into the second graph with the colors I like... It will group the timing information in the third graph... etc.

The ability to save a single Cipher log profile would be much better than the way it is now.

Thats a part of our update plan already, this just solidifies the idea in our developers minds. I know there are a few issue with Cipher right now that we've also got planned for Cipher 2.0 and the profiles thing fits in with some of the ideas we already had. We're also going to have a forum on our site where people can share files. Including display stuff for Cipher.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by GrayG35
Get an iPhone and dynolicious.app if you want a dyno estimator.
http://dynolicious.com/
***** mad cool.

We'll have the forum for people to share their tunes, though really thats 100% contrary to having the ability to tune your specific car. Using someone elses tune isn't going to work, thats why we offer the eTune service, no two vehicles are alike.

The real point of "sharing" tunes, is if you have an issue with your tune, you can send it to someone, they can look at it, and give you pointers to why it may be having an issue. Also you'll be able to send your tune to a Pro Tuner for them to help support you (they will obviously charge for their support, but atleast you'll be able to do it)

As far as downloading pre-built maps from us for the End User tunable software, that would be fine if you wanted stage 1 or stage 2 maps. But it's pointless when we offer Stage 0.25 though Stage 90.00 in 0.25 step increments. AKA: no two cars are alike.

Last edited by UpRev; 08-13-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Uprev wants suggestions.