Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Utec using Speed Density Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utec using Speed Density Question...

I have always thought that the Utec is in full control of the Injector and Ignition when on boost/load. I always thought it is like a standalone when on load (Utec control) coz you define your own Injector Pulse Width and own Timing regadless of what the ECU wants. Can someone clear this up?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 AM
athenG

... double post..
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 AM
athenG

I found this.. but this is on the ignition side...

Fuel Control- The UTEC takes control of your vehicles fuelling at a define-able TPS point that is programmable. Fuel is tuned by an MAF offset table, a simple but effective technique. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF Voltage. The UTEC can also take in our optional MAP sensor to tune RPM vs. MAP or you can just use the MAP reading in your datalogs. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit. Ignition Timing- The UTEC gives you complete control of timing. This is not done on the basis of offsets or altering the crank signal as some engine management systems use. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF or MAP which is optional. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit. When you enter a value into the Ignition Map you are actually typing in Degrees Before Top Dead Center. The UTEC fires the coils based on these values. No more wondering if the stock ecu is going to advance or retard timing.
Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Only on NA cars. With Forced Induction cars, with the UTEC setup with its MAP sensor, the tuner has full control over fuel and timing, without interference from the stock ECU.
I just dont see people spending $3000 for an EMS to tune an NA car, for maybe 10-25whp at most. UTEC or EU is the way to go, in this instance.

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
well if you are NA then no. because the utec just changes the MAF voltage going to the computer. so if the computer is running in limp mode, the maf voltage change will just alter the limp mode fuel.

if you are FI then it acts like a stand alone and will not matter with or without the O2 cel you will get.
a couple people are actually running it NA with the MAP sensor set to 0 psi, i am going to try to do this as soon as my tuner wideband gets back here...

THANKS TURBOXS FOR FIXING THE INTERNAL FUSE AND THANKS MRC FOR GIVING THEM THE HEADS UP!!!

Last edited by athenG; 10-27-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The UTEc has the ability to use Speed Density tuning in either open loop or closed loop fuel/timing control.

in OPen Loop control, YOU set the fuel injector pulse width and absolute timing settings.

In Closed Loop control, you will be using offsets of the stock ecu. (I've never tried this though. no need to.)

Everything that I of with a utec and forced induction uses OPen Loop, Speed Density control.

Last edited by QuadCam; 10-27-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 AM
athenG

Yes, with Open Loop using speed density Utec act like a standalone and has full control of your Fuel and Ignition? I have always thought it is but I got someone said it is never in control and the ECU will eventually adapt to it...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Athen G, I stand corrected. I thought there was some offsetting going on because of the manual fuel calculations. The part I'm not sure of is if the ECU will eventually learn around the Speed Density fuel settings.

From the TXS manual:

In columns 10%-100% in the Speed Density fuel map you enter actual injector pulse width multiplied by 10 to achieve the air fuel ratio you desire for that load site. For example, if you need a pulse width of 8.90ms at 4000 RPM and load site 40% to reach your AFR target, you would enter 89.0 into the 4000 RPM row, 40% load column cell. To achieve a richer air fuel ratio you would enter a larger pulse width. To achieve a leaner air fuel ratio you would enter a smaller pulse width. In the example above you might enter a value of 95.0 instead of 89.0 to add 0.6 ms pulse width in that load site in order to richen the air fuel ratio. If you wanted to lean the car out at that load side, you might enter a value off 85.0 to subtract 0.4 ms pulsewidth.

Last edited by gothchick; 10-27-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM
athenG

Case close then...lol I was always under the impression that Utec under speed density and Open Loop fueling that it has full control of the injector and ignition.. Anyways I'm looking at the Orisis Tuner and see if it is worth it to switch even though Utec has been good to me and does the job very well... There are some things like active knock control that I like about utec but not sure if the Orisis can have something similar. As you posted before the Stock ECU stop monitoring knock after 5000rpm so I'm curious how Orisis monitor knock.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 PM
civic4982

something to be said about leaving good enough alone.