Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

technosquare reflash questions (vs Osirus?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default technosquare reflash questions (vs Osirus?)

I am curious to hear from others that have had this done before.

Couple of generic questions...

do you feel it was worth it? the cost is 550$ and I would be without a car for about a week if I paid more on shipping - if I can get osirus from uprev installed with 5 maps for 650, should I just spend the extra 100 and go that route?

did you really notice the difference going WOT from a stand still?

is the increase in rev limits, or the WOT change bad for the engine in the long run?

.. did you really notice any difference in MPG for city or hwy driving?

appreciate anyone taking the time to answer!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 AM
UofA350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid a local tuner to tune my car with Osiris. I didn't spend the money to buy the cable myself and send the files to UpRev, I just paid $400 for the license and tune. I would definitely say it was worth the money. Throttle response difference is huge. I took a friend with a G35 for a ride yesterday and he was very impressed and actually commented on how much better the throttle response was.

I also have three maps, stock, tune, and valet.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Entaille

right on. it would be nice to find a local tuner capable of doing this for around that price - I really only care for two maps, economy (daily driving) and who givesashitaboutgas go time. :P
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
OCG35
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both (currently Osiris)... TS is a very viable option - gains are definitely worth it - comparable to Osiris (for the most part)... the area that Osiris excels is its versatility = up to 5 maps (3 for older ECUs) to be tuned to fit your needs (e.g. econo, performance pump gas, race gas, valet, etc)... Osiris can adjust cam timing (this is one area that I don’t think TS tinkers with)... additionally, UpRev is continuously adding beneficial tweaks (such as recent ETC update). Tuning updates (for added mods) is relatively simple and cost effective with Osiris as well.

TechnoSquare is a great group of people! I've used them for various things over the years and continue to use them - highly recommended.

For tuning though, I give the nod Osiris for its versatility - and the tuner I use, Shawn Church, is brilliant with Osiris!

For purely one time tune performance, I'm certain you would be happy with either. For all the reasons I mentioned above, I use Osiris.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Entaille

thank you much for your input - leaning more towards spending the extra dough on osiris now.

any others? able to answer any questions that were missed? regarding the engine, and mpg? (lol)
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Entaille
thank you much for your input - leaning more towards spending the extra dough on osiris now.

any others? able to answer any questions that were missed? regarding the engine, and mpg? (lol)
higher rev limiter is only going to be an issue if you stay there for long periods at a time... mine is set to 7500 (nonrevup DE with a couple of failsafe things) - but I only intend to be at 7500 for brief periods at the drag strip... if you have a non-revup DE, set the rev limit to 7200 - and unless you road race a lot in those rmps, you will be fine.

As for the mpg - too many variables... no one is gong to be able to give you a definitive answer... my car has never got good gas mileage... even when I drove it daily (which I don’t now) and before tuning... now with current mods and tune - I drive very spirited most of the time that I am in the car so its hard to tell gas mileage...

I can say that econo tune gets slightly better mileage than performance tune - but thats to be expected... so mpg is as much or more about your driving habits than the tune.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Netacoma2003

[QUOTE=[B]OCG35[/B];6499128]I've had both (currently Osiris)... TS is a very viable option - gains are definitely worth it - comparable to Osiris (for the most part)QUOTE]

I went with the TS flash and was happy but now I'm getting P1283's and it turns out my A/F ratio is running lean below 4500rpm (closed loop). Once the UTEC kicks in, the A/F is between 13 and 11. A local tuner is telling me that TS flash doesn't adjust A/F targets so the ECU will continue to adjust ratios trying to acheive optimum efficiency. Supposedly Osirus can change the ECU target points and is therefore a more permanent flash.

I assume that both flashes would have to adjust target ratios to work but IDK.

Any problems with either flash working temporarily?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Steve-O Z33

I have a TS reflash but I installed the MREV2 after. Now the car is running a bit lean. I'm tempted to send it back in but a local place has Osiris and a dyno. But I can re-reflash for $150 (plus $75 to dyno b4 sending the ECU in). Osiris would be $500.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
OCG35
Banned

[QUOTE=Netacoma2003;6542832]
Originally Posted by [B
OCG35[/B];6499128]I've had both (currently Osiris)... TS is a very viable option - gains are definitely worth it - comparable to Osiris (for the most part)QUOTE]

I went with the TS flash and was happy but now I'm getting P1283's and it turns out my A/F ratio is running lean below 4500rpm (closed loop). Once the UTEC kicks in, the A/F is between 13 and 11. A local tuner is telling me that TS flash doesn't adjust A/F targets so the ECU will continue to adjust ratios trying to acheive optimum efficiency. Supposedly Osirus can change the ECU target points and is therefore a more permanent flash.

I assume that both flashes would have to adjust target ratios to work but IDK.

Any problems with either flash working temporarily?
your local tuner is wrong.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:03 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Entaille

You should be close to Intec Racing in Kent. They can do a full dyno tune for you, rather than just a base flash.

The big deal for most people between TS and Osiris is that they can go to any of our Pro Tuners and get a custom dyno tune, and the ones that aren't close to a Pro Tuner can buy the Osiris Standard and get eTune updates rather than play the constant mail in game with TS.

Also the $400 mail in flash that we offer vs. the $550 mail in flash that they offer tends to be a big deal to some people. Though we know better than to suggest that the mail in flash is really worth all that much.

Adding the Cipher product and eTune updates make it a real winning proposition because we can do some customizing of the base tune for you and make sure your car is actually running safe, where as a base tune may or may not work at all on your car.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Netacoma2003

That's part of the recurring problem....every shop seems to have their own opinion about products and expertise.

The TS flash was getting good forum reviews so I went that route. In hind sight, working with a good tuner and using Osirus for the closed loop in conjunction with UTEC for open loop might have an advantage to mailing the ECU off for closed loop and then working with a tuner and the UTEC to only tune the open loop.

My closed loop A/F's start at 15 and climb to almost 17 (at 4500rpm) before falling dramatically when my UTEC takes over A/F's (above 4500rpm) range from 14 to almost 11 at redline.

I've also read where low RPM A/F's may be sniffing outside air and therefore diluting the accuracy. Seems to almost make sense that a weaker exhaust stream could cause swirling but I'm not certain. I assume the exhaust tip A/F gauges are certified to some degree of accuracy.

Bottom line is I'm throwing P1283 and would like tips on how to cure them.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Netacoma2003

Originally Posted by UpRev
You should be close to Intec Racing in Kent. They can do a full dyno tune for you, rather than just a base flash.

The big deal for most people between TS and Osiris is that they can go to any of our Pro Tuners and get a custom dyno tune, and the ones that aren't close to a Pro Tuner can buy the Osiris Standard and get eTune updates rather than play the constant mail in game with TS.

That sounds like a great alternative!!

Would they be able to dial in the A/Fs so that I stop throwing the P1283's?

If not and they have to flash out the code will my emissions check display complete or incomplete?

Also, should the UTEC be used in conjunction with Osirus or should the flash control everything?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Netacoma2003
That sounds like a great alternative!!

Would they be able to dial in the A/Fs so that I stop throwing the P1283's?

If not and they have to flash out the code will my emissions check display complete or incomplete?

Also, should the UTEC be used in conjunction with Osirus or should the flash control everything?
They should be able to dial everything in fine, I haven't seen an issue so far.

They can turn off the DTC if you need, sometimes the codes throw because the tolerance for the sensor is so tight it just doesn't work in forced induction applications, so turning it off will mean that it won't show up.

As far as emissions compliance that really depends on where you're at and what the law says for what has to show ok in the readings.

You can use it with the UTEC, but we've really designed the software to completely replace piggy backs.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Netacoma2003

You can use it with the UTEC, but we've really designed the software to completely replace piggy backs.

A standalone ECU sounds great but I've heard that Osirus holds data or can control up to 350 or 400rwhp and then you need to use a piggy. How does a tuner get around that constraint with Osirus if that's true?

Do you have maps for FI apllications SC, T, and TT? What if I want to go back to stock?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by Netacoma2003
A standalone ECU sounds great but I've heard that Osirus holds data or can control up to 350 or 400rwhp and then you need to use a piggy. How does a tuner get around that constraint with Osirus if that's true?

Do you have maps for FI apllications SC, T, and TT? What if I want to go back to stock?
I don't know where you've heard that. The is no stand alone ECU on the Nissan/Infiniti anymore. Even the full stand alones leave the stock ECU in the car to control the rest of the system.

We've tuned multiple cars in house over 600whp. We even have a big single turbo FX45 in the bay right now that we're tuning next week.

We don't have off the shelf maps for forced induction. Too many variables involved in supporting them all, especially on a car that started out NA. This isn't like adding boost to a STi. We offer the Osiris Tuner software for the customer looking to do Forced Induction, or you can locate a Pro Tuner in your area and purchase a basic Osiris Flash License and have the Pro Tuner do your dyno tuning for you.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
twitch579

I purchased the Osiris Standard last week and was amazed with the results with just the first base map they sent, I cant even imagine it getting any better. The car runs so much smoother and pulls like mad in the upper rpm's.

The map switching is great also, you can switch maps in seconds while driving doing 90mph if u like....its that easy. You really can FEEL the difference. The higher Rev limiter was the best part.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ipppeeeee.html dyno link, videos are twords the bottom of the page.
Heres a link to my Dyno results which where really impressive, the best numbers I pulled were 280/261 on Map 5. Also check out the stock vs tuned run I made, the place I brought the car to had tuners there watching my pulls and they where really impressed on how I switch to the tuned map and the whole entire power curve changed and was totally smoother. In parts of the powerband I gained as high as 28ft lbs of tork!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
UpRev
Banned

Originally Posted by twitch579
I purchased the Osiris Standard last week and was amazed with the results with just the first base map they sent, I cant even imagine it getting any better. The car runs so much smoother and pulls like mad in the upper rpm's.

The map switching is great also, you can switch maps in seconds while driving doing 90mph if u like....its that easy. You really can FEEL the difference. The higher Rev limiter was the best part.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ipppeeeee.html dyno link, videos are twords the bottom of the page.
Heres a link to my Dyno results which where really impressive, the best numbers I pulled were 280/261 on Map 5. Also check out the stock vs tuned run I made, the place I brought the car to had tuners there watching my pulls and they where really impressed on how I switch to the tuned map and the whole entire power curve changed and was totally smoother. In parts of the powerband I gained as high as 28ft lbs of tork!!!

Awesome, now tell them to contact me about becoming Pro Tuners

hah, I wanna see updates once we get some eTune updates to you.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Netacoma2003

I went in and spoke to Lawrence about Osiris. He sold me the dyno tune (osiris plus dyno time) and my results look promising so far. My RPM surge has gone away along with the SES codes that kept popping up. Idle adjustment was a snap too. Also, I used to feel the switchover from ECU to UTEC but the UTEC is gone now.

I still need to have Nissan check the emissions to see if my ECU is completing drive cycles to pass emissions and Lawrence is supposed to fix the hardstart problems I'm having.....she fires right up on cold starts but cranks for a while after being driven.....how embarrassing!

Will update my Osiris progress when we fix the remaining stuff.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
G-Man.uas

I was wondering, the flash service gives you 5 maps - how to you change between them?

If I went for the Standard service, are maps just emailed to me to do my own re-flashing?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by G-Man.uas
I was wondering, the flash service gives you 5 maps - how to you change between them?

If I went for the Standard service, are maps just emailed to me to do my own re-flashing?
cruise control... as for e-tunes, UpRev emails - you load it onto your ECU with Cipher.

Quick Reply: technosquare reflash questions (vs Osirus?)