Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Dyno #'s SUCK!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM
SQBassHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol... Sorry I wasn't more specific...lol..

But ok to make things clear, I have 20 pentas, and 13w7 with a HUGE custom comp. Box.... Like I've said before my main concern is audio, I just got bit by the performance bug.. Lol... So that's why ill be happy with myself if that's what caused such a low rwhp/rwtq, but I still need a tune bc the car is running lean.. But now I'm thinking maybe I had an exhaust leak... Idk what do u guys think
Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i still think thats well within the margin of error for a N/A 2003 5AT.

That middle drop should go away and the curve should be smoother now. An exhaust leak would just give you more power as the rpms go up and back pressure lessens.

Just get redyno'd and if you still feel sad, get a nitrous kit.

Last edited by str8dum1; 09-16-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:43 PM
SQBassHead

tony! ty. i feel alot better now .. lol.. .well i have some stock tires but danm there UGLY...lol... well i do feel better knowing that i caused the car to be slower

i think we all agree i still need a tune

str8dum, nitrous hmmm hmmm idk.....im bound to blow something up
Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

done right, nitrous is very safe. tuning is straight forward, unlike a supercharger or turbo. and like 5x cheaper.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well this thread couldv been solved way faster if OP would of just said i got HUGE 20s and a sound system. Next time put money in what u want improved. I wanted performance so that is what i attacked 1st. IM SO GLAD ur car isnt a turd
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
well this thread couldv been solved way faster if OP would of just said i got HUGE 20s and a sound system. Next time put money in what u want improved. I wanted performance so that is what i attacked 1st. IM SO GLAD ur car isnt a turd
2004Black350z,

i agree with you 100%, BUT my intentions when i got the car were just for looks and sound , im not going to lie...i loved the way the z looked and i wanted a hatch for competition, the z was perfect.... i am a audiophile, and i admit im addicted to BASS, that is why i attacked my sound system first before anything, now that i have my sounds at a level where i cant do much more (unless i spend a whole lot of mUla AGAIN) bad enough i started switching from SQ to SPL.... now that the car is payed off i decided to start looking into performance mods, so i was curious to see what i would get on a dyno i was angry by the results... and some members didnt help (u) the situation, they (u) just put gas on the fire.... but i was not aware that 20's lose rwhp on a dyno..... i thought it was just what performance mods you have , so thats why i just put that alone...

so what? we cool now or we still have a grudge ..lol..
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20s will affect performance, but not really that much.

in a modified car, i've seen upto 30whp loss (going from 20s to 18s), but in a stock form, u might have lost 10whp max.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates????
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
SQBassHead

not yet, im working on a getting a tune and dyno.... most likely at churches (yes i know its #'s are inflated) since there dyno can ELIMINATE ALL guesses of what can hurt #'s... what i mean by that is.. since it will be straight from the hub... there is no excuses of my 20's lost power, my 305 tires lost power, my HEAVY *** sound system lost power... you know what i mean bro.. i want to measure EXACTLY what my engine is making

plus he has tuned and dyno PLENTY of Z's , so chances are hight that he might just have a dyno i can compare with the exact same mods...
Old 10-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Steve-O Z33

I just read through this. I know nothing about the auto 350Zs. Do they have a dipstick for the tranny? If so, check it. Have the car running and in park, on level ground. It should be bright red fluid and full on both sides of the stick. Smell it. If it smells burnt, you may have issues. If it's copper or brown/black, you probably need an overhaul.

Have you ever changed the spark plugs? If not, do it. It can't hurt.

Try the ECU resetting procedure. Prior to this, I would clear the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable and tapping the brakes.

The ECU resetting procedure/throttle relearn can be found here (last page of the PDF): https://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

Prior to any of this, have someone scan your car with an OBD2 scanner. I will almost bet that there is an engine knock code stored. If there is, get a new knock sensor.

Last edited by Steve-O Z33; 10-24-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
SQBassHead

thanks for the advice
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
aggie05

So did you end up replacing the torque converter? If you did, take it back to the same place you got the 1st dyno and see if it straightend out some of the spikes.

Keep me posted. I just had my 03 dynoed and it was 228hp with the only mod being colder plugs for nos and a cold air intake.
got 278 with a 50 shot of nitrous but hoping to go bigger Nos jets if I can find out why its running lean.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 PM
03basesedan

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Contact Edge Racing and ask them about it, they make great TC's. Be sure to ask them if a higher stall converter would benefit an N/A Z and what would be the optimal stall speed for an N/A application.

I believe stock stall is around 2600.

If i had to guess, maybe around $500 for a new performance TC.
OP, I know you got a different converter, but Edge Racing is great.

Originally Posted by Brickyard350
I really dont know where you guys get these numbers, 210rwhp?...wow...idk about you guys but i hit 160 light!....and i just have a short ram and royal purple....havent dynoed yet but i know im not 210...
I hate short rams...

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
SOUCE? .. lol

Thanks TONY!

Trojan thanks for posting ur dyno, but I have to disagree with u about the weight affecting rwhp.. I did a quick google and on one of the mustang forums it said that they tested stock vs. Heavier 20's and they saw a lost in rwhp... So I think that my 20 wheels dropped my rwhp due to more rotational mass.. Plus I don't think the almost 200 lbs on the trunk helped out either... So If this is correct, then I do feel better bc I know that I caused the car to lose hp and its not a beetle engine... Or weak SAUCE (maxmood) .motor

So what do u guys think?
20's and your intake will do it. Same with your transmission issue.

What stall is the new converter? Also, be sure to get a better tranny cooler b/c a higher stall converter will generate more heat, esp. as it slips around town in low revs.

Did you ever get it dynoed again? I would take it to the exact same place and try to replicate the same conditions. Keep you wheels on etc., and see the difference, at least it'll be comparable in some regards. Also, sometimes they don't put the clip on well when they try to get a signal from the coil wires. Make sure it's secure. If it's not, it'll mess up the readings, and your lines will appear squiggly.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by 03basesedan
OP, I know you got a different converter, but Edge Racing is great.
i did get an edge racing tc....

I hate short rams...
... i love the sound but i think im going to just go with a OEM 06 box with a k&n drop in...

20's and your intake will do it. Same with your transmission issue.

20's make sense, BUT intake ... i thought the jwt popcharger was dyno proven by a 3rd party... pleas correct me if im wrong

What stall is the new converter? Also, be sure to get a better tranny cooler b/c a higher stall converter will generate more heat, esp. as it slips around town in low revs.
the tc is 3200 stall... im pretty sure...

Did you ever get it dynoed again? I would take it to the exact same place and try to replicate the same conditions. Keep you wheels on etc., and see the difference, at least it'll be comparable in some regards. Also, sometimes they don't put the clip on well when they try to get a signal from the coil wires. Make sure it's secure. If it's not, it'll mess up the readings, and your lines will appear squiggly.

no i havent got it dynoed again... the way im looking at it..is.... the money i would pay to get it dynoed, i can just put it towards a dyno and tune @ churches dyno..... i know i wont have that dyno to compare it too.... but on the plus side, i know for a fact church has alot of 350z dyno's that i can compare it too... and most likely the same mods since there so common ... what do you guys think? ...

please elaborate on this... im not sure what your talking about
thanks for all the input
Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM
03basesedan

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
thanks for all the input
Maybe I am wrong, but while your car is on the dyno they have to clamp onto a wire to get a signal. This has to be a clean connection. They didn't clamp down on my wire securely and it read like 190whp the first run with lines all over the place. They readjusted the clip, and it dynoed perfectly.

The poop charger makes claims on their own website, but meh. Tony even told you to stay away. IMO, anything that exposes the filter to engine bay is not a good intake system for the 350z's. The car already has heat soak issues, and leaving a short ram exposed to even more hot air is counterintuitive. You would def. be better without the intake.

Get a dyno whenever. Your A/F is more important than the numbers, but PLEASE add a another tranny cooler! PLEASE!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 PM
calibredz33

churches had they're dyno's re calibrated and have a new guy running the cthere is a dyno day on facebook one shop is churches idk the other one

https://www.facebook.com/events/5251.../?notif_t=like
Old 03-01-2014, 07:15 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,101 Likes on 6,557 Posts

Originally Posted by calibredz33
churches had they're dyno's re calibrated and have a new guy running the cthere is a dyno day on facebook one shop is churches idk the other one

https://www.facebook.com/events/5251.../?notif_t=like
guess you didnt read the last post date... you revived a three an half year old dead thread....... typical noob move
Old 03-02-2014, 04:44 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
Wow what a fcking dbag. Apologies. I didn't even know I wrote that.