Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM
sck alive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
Mine need a combination of finesse on the lower MAF voltages and the cells just below the idle area of the fuel compensation table to keep the RPM's from dipping when coming down to idle. Never had a stalling issue, but the dipping I spent some time fixing.
ok ill give it a try thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
MURDAH350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

djamps, in one of your much older posts about your tune, you posted that you had to trim bank 2 on your car 6%. my car is also running lean on bank 2 so my question to you is how did you accurately calculate how much it was off and correct it? i tried averaging the afr's from a couple pulls and correcting using the corresponding percent difference between the 2 which i thought should have worked. however, when i made the 3% correction that i had calculated, it collossally messed up my afr's. i even tried switching the bank that i did the correction on thinking that maybe by some idiot move, i have the widebands reversed but the result was the same. if you could give me some insight as to a remedy for this situation, i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM
B T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try adjusting one injector at a time on bank 2 until you see a change. I had the same problem.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MURDAH350
djamps, in one of your much older posts about your tune, you posted that you had to trim bank 2 on your car 6%. my car is also running lean on bank 2 so my question to you is how did you accurately calculate how much it was off and correct it? i tried averaging the afr's from a couple pulls and correcting using the corresponding percent difference between the 2 which i thought should have worked. however, when i made the 3% correction that i had calculated, it collossally messed up my afr's. i even tried switching the bank that i did the correction on thinking that maybe by some idiot move, i have the widebands reversed but the result was the same. if you could give me some insight as to a remedy for this situation, i would greatly appreciate it.
Maybe you trimmed the wrong bank. Passenger side (bank 1?) is the one that runs rich. I made adjustments based on bringing WOT A/F in balance, not closed loop corrections...you shouldn't care about the corrections because they are fixing it for you in closed loop. It's the open loop / WOT you are concerned about since corrections are not made for you. If you're unable to bring things together without causing other issues, there is probably a leak somewhere.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
MURDAH350

Maybe you trimmed the wrong bank. Passenger side (bank 1?) is the one that runs rich. I made adjustments based on bringing WOT A/F in balance, not closed loop corrections...you shouldn't care about the corrections because they are fixing it for you in closed loop. It's the open loop / WOT you are concerned about since corrections are not made for you. If you're unable to bring things together without causing other issues, there is probably a leak somewhere.
On average, how close are your afr's for each bank (@wot and boost)? Just trying to get an idea of what size ballpark I need to be shooting for here. Are they both the exact same number or do they generally vary +- a couple tenths?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM
djamps

On average, how close are your afr's for each bank (@wot and boost)? Just trying to get an idea of what size ballpark I need to be shooting for here. Are they both the exact same number or do they generally vary +- a couple tenths?
With cyl trims at 100% they were 0.4 - 0.5 A/F different in full boost. Now they are within a tenth give or take. Closed loop / part throttle they were always identical with respect to A/F due to auto corrections.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
MURDAH350

With cyl trims at 100% they were 0.4 - 0.5 A/F different in full boost. Now they are within a tenth give or take. Closed loop / part throttle they were always identical with respect to A/F due to auto corrections.
Wow then it looks like I may have some bigger problems on my hands. My air fuel ratios on each bank differ by almost an entire AFR sometimes. Also for some reason I have been getting this issue with bank 1 going extremely lean at a certain throttle position any idea why that might be happening? it doesn't happen under boost only at about 1/4 throttle and very briefly my bank 1 will bounce all the way to about 18 to 1 afr then back again. it's very strange.I will post a log if I can catch it doing that so maybe you can decipher why this is happening
Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM
MURDAH350

ok here is a very very brief example of when my bank one bounces. it is VERY peculiar. it almost looks like the banks are switching between compensation amounts for some reason. really strange. also at then end of that teeny tiny log you can get a short idea of the difference between my banks as far as normal afrs when its not deciding to do whatever the hell it wants to with bank 1
Attached Thumbnails Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?-log-for-forum.png  

Last edited by MURDAH350; 02-19-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: missing attachment
Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 PM
MURDAH350

Originally Posted by B T
Try adjusting one injector at a time on bank 2 until you see a change. I had the same problem.
i may have to try that, you may be onto something there. i DID notice when i changed to 1 step colder plugs yesterday that my #5 was a wee bit lighter colored than the rest of the plugs. could have a suspect leaky oring or lower flowing injector on my hands.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM
djamps

I had that lean issue on a recent job (and it only happened in vacuum), turned out to be a leaking plenum. I would do a pressure and smoke test on your intake and exhaust.

Last edited by djamps; 02-19-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM
MURDAH350

I had that lean issue on a recent job (and it only happened in vacuum), turned out to be a leaking plenum. I would do a pressure and smoke test on your intake and exhaust.
leaky plenum???? no kidding.... i never would have guessed that in a hundred years.... why do you think it would only be causing an issue on 1 bank instead of both? i feel like i shouldnt have any intake leak problems being as the gaskets are new but then again on the other hand i DID just swap my heads out then do valve cover gaskets shortly thereafter to remedy oil leaks. i will smoke/brake cleaner test tomorrow and see if there is any change in AFR then replace gaskets/re-torque as necessary. hopefully that will be the easy way out of my ghost leaning.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM
djamps

leaky plenum???? no kidding.... i never would have guessed that in a hundred years.... why do you think it would only be causing an issue on 1 bank instead of both? i feel like i shouldnt have any intake leak problems being as the gaskets are new but then again on the other hand i DID just swap my heads out then do valve cover gaskets shortly thereafter to remedy oil leaks. i will smoke/brake cleaner test tomorrow and see if there is any change in AFR then replace gaskets/re-torque as necessary. hopefully that will be the easy way out of my ghost leaning.
Mine would wander lean at idle too (hovering between 15 and 16). How does your idle look? Exhaust leaks before the sensors could cause similar issues as well.

I don't know if it affected one bank more than the other but it could depending on which side or runners are leaking. (mine was an '03 without dual widebands and single turbo kit and the AEM wideband was in the turbo downpipe),

Last edited by djamps; 02-20-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:51 PM
MURDAH350

Mine would wander lean at idle too (hovering between 15 and 16). How does your idle look? Exhaust leaks before the sensors could cause similar issues as well.

I don't know if it affected one bank more than the other but it could depending on which side or runners are leaking. (mine was an '03 without dual widebands and single turbo kit and the AEM wideband was in the turbo downpipe),
now theres a legitimate idea. i was thinking widebands but i totally spaced on exhaust leaks doing that to it. my only retort would be, at that point, if the exhaust was leaking before the widebands, wouldnt that cause the computer to think there is a lean condition and thusly add more fuel? the only reason i say that is because i can physically feel the car leaning out on that bank when it happens (if that is indeed what is happening) it hesitates for about 1-2 seconds before jumping back in the 12's or 13's and hitting boost at around 2300 rpm.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 AM
tcode

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

What are the biggest flowing injectors useful with UpRev regard smooth idle, acceleration enrichment etc.?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uprev can properly model any hi Z injector, but the attributes you are talking about are injector dependent, not EMS.

ID2000s will run fine on an uprev tune on E85, just like they would on a Haltech etc
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM
tcode

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

I see. What injectors would you suggest in 800-900 cc/min range?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 PM
MURDAH350

Originally Posted by tcode
I see. What injectors would you suggest in 800-900 cc/min range?
i would highly recommend injector dynamics products. i am currently running ID1000's and they work magically. not to mention they have tons of data on every injector they make and the support is unparalled. -just my 2c
Old 03-13-2014, 05:07 PM
JaE35z

Do we have any guys with tuner version of uprev that can delete two trouble codes from my uprev rom for me? Shoot me a pm
Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM
MURDAH350

Originally Posted by JaE35z
Do we have any guys with tuner version of uprev that can delete two trouble codes from my uprev rom for me? Shoot me a pm
i do. email it to me with a description of which ones you dont want and ill happily take care of it. will.a.murdock@gmail.com
Old 04-12-2014, 05:01 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When is this going to be made a sticky?

Quick Reply: Wanted: UpRev Tuning DIY - Tuning 101?