Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

2007 350z Osiris UpRev tune/map help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 AM
NFGZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a question I sent to the RT tuning guys, maybe someone could help?

Another question if you can't do an etune, I paid for the full tuner package, can you explain what the ROM files are, and if I can flash my cars ecu and remove the codes myself, and have a fully functional car still that I can DD as well as take to the 1/4 mile? Regarding CEL
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 AM
karletto66

UPREV getting TUNER package send the "stock" rom of your ECU and also a "base" map to start development (in my case was not really good map but only to start working...)
They don't give you these ???
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 AM
thisishk350

Few pointers on using the tuner version:

To use Osiris tuner, you have to download the software from the website (UpRev - Engine Management under support) and install it on your PC (Laptop, desktop, or both, you will need a laptop for tuning and flashing purposes however). NEVER USE THE CD. Its outdated by the time you get it and hardly ever works correctly.

It will give you 4 programs: cable manager, which you use to check the status of and update your cable if you need to; Cipher, which you use to check and clear codes, datalog, and tune in real time; Osiris, which you use to flash the ecu and dump the ecu if you have an unsupported ecu and need to send the data over to uprev so they can add support; and rom editor, which you use to make changes to the rom file (tune) on your computer before you flash it onto the ECU.

The Osiris license is stored on the cable, and you have to flash your ecu with the unlocked rom file before you can tune it. The first time you flash a rom file the osiris license will be automatically transferred to the ecu and will stay there until you flash it with the “back to stock” rom file. As long as the Osiris license is stored in the ECU any tuner will be able to tune it from then on, you do not need to purchase additional licenses. There are many different rom files even for the same make/model/trim so it is very important that you first verify your ecu part # and then only flash the corresponding rom file. Likewise if you want to “share” roms with someone else that is fine, but you cannot directly flash it onto your ecu unless it is the same exact ECU part #. Do not try it, good things will not happen. If you want to borrow elements from someone else’s rom file you will need to open them both in the rom editor and physically copy and paste the data into your rom file, then save it. The rom files do not come with the cable, uprev maintains an online database that all protuners have access to, so you have to get these after the fact.

You will make the majority of changes in the rom editor. When you open the rom inside the rom editor, you'll get a drop down menu for fuel, ignition timing, electronic throttle control, utilities, DTC, rev and speed limiters, etc. By clicking on each one it opens a sub menu with the different maps you can tune. If your ecu supports cruise control each Osiris license holds 5 independent maps in the ecu, so you can tune them all differently if you want. Most people manipulate the speed and rev limiters to have a valet map (limited speed and rev) and anti-theft map (won’t run) as well as a max power and fuel economy map for cruising around town.

The throttle control is the easiest to fix, uprev already has a set equation that maxes out the responsiveness and you can just select "uprev tuned throttle" and it will adjust the entire map for you. (not on the VQ37VHR)

The fuel and timing maps are set up on a grid of rpm x engine load, you simply add or subtract fuel or timing (depending on map) using the plus and minus keys on the keyboard.

For timing I would only mess with the main timing table, leave the cold and high detonation tables alone (not all models have the same options). I would also not recommend playing with the timing too much unless you have access to a dyno.

To disable codes for exhaust or whatever simply open the DTC menu and you will see a list of every code that you can disable. Double-click on the one you want to deactivate and it will switch from "on" to "off"

To tune in real time (mainly to dial in the A/F) you first open cipher, then connect to vehicle, then click on "tune car". A menu will pop up with tabs for everything you can tune in real time, clicking on each one will open a chart similar to the fuel chart you see in the rom editor. You will see an indication of where the engine is at in real time on that chart, as well and the actual A/F ratio and target A/F as measured by the ECU. Simply adjust the target A/F using the + and - keys until the actual A/F is running where you want it to be and move on.

When you make changes in RTT (real time tuning) it is saved in the ECU's ROM memory, but is not permanent. You need to make sure you save the changes before you shut the car off or they will be lost for good. It will save to your desktop as a .rtt file. Then open the rom file in the rom editor and under "utilities" you will see an option called "load rtt data to map". Do that and the changes you made while driving will be loaded into the rom file, overwriting the tables that were in there before. Save the rom file and flash the ECU to make it permanent.

You can reflash the ECU as many times as you want and it will not harm it. If you need to go to the dealer or something and are worried about having the tune on there just flash back to stock, go do your business, then when you get back home flash the tune back on.

Uprev WILL do etunes for you, but not for free. You can purchase them for $50 in their webstore.

If anyone wants a tuner setup for less than retail I just happen to have one for sale, PM me and we'll talk.

Last edited by thisishk350; 07-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM
NFGZ

Holy hell thanks for the info!!

Unfortunately I've called Osiris and they will not do etunes anymore for tuner packages. I'm going to re read this and pm you later on. Thanks man
Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 AM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Call Vince @ R/T tuning. He will get you all setup for a very reasonable rate.

He did 3x the iteraations of "etunes" that uprev would do for the $ and put the effort fwd do get cruise control working on my base 07.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 AM
thisishk350

Who did you talk to at uprev? There's no way for them to know if you have the tuner version or not when you buy an etune, you just go into the webstore and purchase one then email them your info and datalogs... No different from someone with Osiris standard who's purchasing an additional etune.

Someone posted up an email reply from jared over on driver a month or so ago where he specifically stated that they would do etunes if you first purchased them in the webstore, and from what I hear he's kind of the head honcho over there. I can go back and find the link if you want
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
thisishk350

I also agree that Vince at RT is an excellent tuner and will do you right if you choose to go that route
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 PM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by ian99rt
Call Vince @ R/T tuning. He will get you all setup for a very reasonable rate.

He did 3x the iteraations of "etunes" that uprev would do for the $ and put the effort fwd do get cruise control working on my base 07.
Erik or Eric from rt tuning replied back to my pm so I'm working to see what they have to offer. I PMed him back with a bunch of questions, I'll give Vince a call for sure.

Originally Posted by thisishk350
Who did you talk to at uprev? There's no way for them to know if you have the tuner version or not when you buy an etune, you just go into the webstore and purchase one then email them your info and datalogs... No different from someone with Osiris standard who's purchasing an additional etune.

Someone posted up an email reply from jared over on driver a month or so ago where he specifically stated that they would do etunes if you first purchased them in the webstore, and from what I hear he's kind of the head honcho over there. I can go back and find the link if you want
I spoke with a guy by the name of Richard, I didn't really like him. I had called in with a few questions and mentioned I had the tuner package, so you suggest just purchasing it from the store and not mention I have the tuner package?

I also agree that Vince at RT is an excellent tuner and will do you right if you choose to go that route
I'm going to give him a ring to ask some questions and get prices
Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try contacting Vince at RT, vendor on forum, he hooked me up with a base ROM when I got UpRev. They may or may not work with you with etunes as well.

I tuned mine myself; VQ35HR. It's pretty straight forward. I did mine at the track, drag, while datalogging. Fuel tuning is pretty easy with real time tuning, I just gathered data on 2nd and 3rd gear pulls, and made corrections to the map. I only have a catback though, it was worth 1mph in the traps though.

EDIT: 3 posts late.

Last edited by T_K; 07-09-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 PM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Few pointers on using the tuner version:

To use Osiris tuner, you have to download the software from the website (UpRev - Engine Management under support) and install it on your PC (Laptop, desktop, or both, you will need a laptop for tuning and flashing purposes however). NEVER USE THE CD. Its outdated by the time you get it and hardly ever works correctly.

It will give you 4 programs: cable manager, which you use to check the status of and update your cable if you need to; Cipher, which you use to check and clear codes, datalog, and tune in real time; Osiris, which you use to flash the ecu and dump the ecu if you have an unsupported ecu and need to send the data over to uprev so they can add support; and rom editor, which you use to make changes to the rom file (tune) on your computer before you flash it onto the ECU.

The Osiris license is stored on the cable, and you have to flash your ecu with the unlocked rom file before you can tune it. The first time you flash a rom file the osiris license will be automatically transferred to the ecu and will stay there until you flash it with the “back to stock” rom file. As long as the Osiris license is stored in the ECU any tuner will be able to tune it from then on, you do not need to purchase additional licenses. There are many different rom files even for the same make/model/trim so it is very important that you first verify your ecu part # and then only flash the corresponding rom file. Likewise if you want to “share” roms with someone else that is fine, but you cannot directly flash it onto your ecu unless it is the same exact ECU part #. Do not try it, good things will not happen. If you want to borrow elements from someone else’s rom file you will need to open them both in the rom editor and physically copy and paste the data into your rom file, then save it. The rom files do not come with the cable, uprev maintains an online database that all protuners have access to, so you have to get these after the fact.

You will make the majority of changes in the rom editor. When you open the rom inside the rom editor, you'll get a drop down menu for fuel, ignition timing, electronic throttle control, utilities, DTC, rev and speed limiters, etc. By clicking on each one it opens a sub menu with the different maps you can tune. If your ecu supports cruise control each Osiris license holds 5 independent maps in the ecu, so you can tune them all differently if you want. Most people manipulate the speed and rev limiters to have a valet map (limited speed and rev) and anti-theft map (won’t run) as well as a max power and fuel economy map for cruising around town.

The throttle control is the easiest to fix, uprev already has a set equation that maxes out the responsiveness and you can just select "uprev tuned throttle" and it will adjust the entire map for you. (not on the VQ37VHR)

The fuel and timing maps are set up on a grid of rpm x engine load, you simply add or subtract fuel or timing (depending on map) using the plus and minus keys on the keyboard.

For timing I would only mess with the main timing table, leave the cold and high detonation tables alone (not all models have the same options). I would also not recommend playing with the timing too much unless you have access to a dyno.

To disable codes for exhaust or whatever simply open the DTC menu and you will see a list of every code that you can disable. Double-click on the one you want to deactivate and it will switch from "on" to "off"

To tune in real time (mainly to dial in the A/F) you first open cipher, then connect to vehicle, then click on "tune car". A menu will pop up with tabs for everything you can tune in real time, clicking on each one will open a chart similar to the fuel chart you see in the rom editor. You will see an indication of where the engine is at in real time on that chart, as well and the actual A/F ratio and target A/F as measured by the ECU. Simply adjust the target A/F using the + and - keys until the actual A/F is running where you want it to be and move on.

When you make changes in RTT (real time tuning) it is saved in the ECU's ROM memory, but is not permanent. You need to make sure you save the changes before you shut the car off or they will be lost for good. It will save to your desktop as a .rtt file. Then open the rom file in the rom editor and under "utilities" you will see an option called "load rtt data to map". Do that and the changes you made while driving will be loaded into the rom file, overwriting the tables that were in there before. Save the rom file and flash the ECU to make it permanent.

You can reflash the ECU as many times as you want and it will not harm it. If you need to go to the dealer or something and are worried about having the tune on there just flash back to stock, go do your business, then when you get back home flash the tune back on.

Uprev WILL do etunes for you, but not for free. You can purchase them for $50 in their webstore.

If anyone wants a tuner setup for less than retail I just happen to have one for sale, PM me and we'll talk.

I'm faced with the above issue but for different reasons. How do you differentiate Roms you may have on your pc? Mine were done via email from Vince.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you give the files different names. You have no way of knowing what rom is loaded on your ECU though, so if in doubt, reflash it.