Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

What is the difference between the Haltech Platinum PnP & Harness System

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM
FontZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the difference between the Haltech Platinum PnP & Harness System

Well I just wanted to know the difference between the Haltech Platinum Pro Plug-In and the Haltech Platinum Pro Harness System. What are the Pro's/Con's between the two? This would be a big help in knowing before I make a purchase.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3 things stand out to me.

well the harness is discontinued for one.

the harness doesnt offer active failsafes (no fuel, oil pressure compensation)

the harness wont do flex fuel.

if you have no desire to run flex fuel, and are on a budget, the harness is a great option. If you want the latest and have a complicated build, the Plug-in is the way to go.

The only con to the plug-in, is that legally it will not pass OBD2 inspections. If there are ways to illegally make it pass OBD2, that is between you and your tuner.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 AM
FontZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much appreciated str8dum1. I am on a budget but I don't think I will make budget cuts in this area. HaltechUSA techs even said it is too much of a hassle to mess with the Harness system. Whether they are just getting me to buy Pnp or giving genuine advice, I'll just fork up the cash. If you see this post, do you know of any sites that can better educate me in 350z EMS's.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:04 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FontZ
Much appreciated str8dum1. I am on a budget but I don't think I will make budget cuts in this area. HaltechUSA techs even said it is too much of a hassle to mess with the Harness system. Whether they are just getting me to buy Pnp or giving genuine advice, I'll just fork up the cash. If you see this post, do you know of any sites that can better educate me in 350z EMS's.
Hassle? many of us use the older haltech with great results. It has the highest user base and tuners are more familiar with it. It's very simple and not THAT much different.

There are more features on the new model which is great. Buying new with no budget I would go with the new unit mostly because I also run e85 and dual pumps that I would like a staging system for. Currently 3 years with my old haltech system everything runs great and put down 652hp on low boost.

So it depends on how much you want to spend and your budget. You can pick up the old system for under 1500$. I've seen a few go for even 1000$. It does everything the new unit does minus some new input/outputs and some extra bells and whistles that most standard street builds wont need. So if you don't need flex fuel adjustments on the fly (which costs another 400$ for the sensor and fittings) or need additional outputs and inputs for staging multiple pumps then you could save money.

Installation and setup would actually be more complex with the new unit if you have to wire inputs and outputs. Otherwise both units install the same way and I wouldn't call either of them a "hassle" to use.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have an automatic, only the harness version is compatible...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
El Verdugo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One question does the new configuration of the EMS is one able to see and erase DTCs in the software itself? This can be done in other Platinum Pro units for other vehicles.