Notices
Upcoming Events Upcoming 350z/370Z/G35/G37 Events

OKC--OKZCC Open Track Day, 8am

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
LJ.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OKC--OKZCC Open Track Day, 8am

As mentioned during the driving event the Oklahoma Z Car Club held at the Sheriff's Track on the 22nd of June, this event has an entry form which I will need you to submit in order to secure a slot. You can download it here:

http://www.okzcc.com/event_files/events.html

The track layout will differ a little, but the format will be basically the same, so I won't go into too much detail. Plus I am sure getting the lowdown from someone here who was there last month will carry more weight than anything I could tell you.

Last month's track day was pretty fun and had a pretty good turnout so I'm looking forward to improving upon it for this month. If you still aren't convinced, take a look at the excellent photos taken and posted by Roast in the South Central forum!

Look forward to another fun track day!

LJ
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LJ... I'm sorry man... I missed this post. I checked the regional forums a few times and didn't see anything.. my bad!

I guess it's too late to mail anything in... but if it's not too late and/or you don't already have me on the list... I would like to play! If you need payment in advance just let me know and I would be more than happy to drop it off. I'm good for it either way! To answer some of the questions on the form... No I'm not a certified instructor. Yes I will ride along. Yes I will work the corners!

If nothing else I would still like to come out and shoot some video and take some pictures. Thanks for the plug BTW!

Here is an updated video with a few more cars..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yQ3p9rxb2iE

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQ3p9rxb2iE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQ3p9rxb2iE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I probably should have trimmed out some of the clips to make it not so long and boring, but oh well! It was a ton of fun.... it was nice to be on the track with a viper, rx7, and a gt500 all at the same time.... Any OKC 350z members should come out and play... if nothing else just come watch and hang out!

Let me know if you still have a spot available. Again, my apologies for not sending in the form!

Last edited by roast; 07-15-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
LJ.

Awesome, I'll PM you. There are slots left so don't worry.

LJ
Old 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
cracka350z

id love to drive that...if my car wasnt driving like a$$!!! everytime it gets warmed up...i lose all hints of power...and it hesitates like hell when you do step on teh gas....

for future ref, what would i need to drive the track? never done it before.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Krank
^ my last name

MAN!!! To bad I will still be in Denver on the 22nd
Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM
LJ.

You need:
helmet
seatbelts
functioning brakelights
brake pads that are not on their last legs

You should:
flush/refill brake fluid (with DOT4 fluid)
check all coolant hoses/clamps for cracking/rotting/looseness etc
flush coolant system if necessary

That's about it off the top of my head. These events are very casual fun-run type of events. Just a nice convenient way for us to get out in our Z's and enjoy some real driving that you can't do on public roads without risking dire consequences.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
LJ.

Originally Posted by Krank
MAN!!! To bad I will still be in Denver on the 22nd
Got you covered, be back in town on Sept 7th for the last OKC track day of the season.

Also don't forget Midwest Z Fest Aug 29th - Sep 1st in Tulsa. PLENTY of action; track, strip, car show, banquet, dinner, countryside cruise, nightly entertainment. So far we already have 50 Z's signed up and registered, the goal is 75-100. I think we'll make it, you don't want to miss out on something like this. These types of events are the kind when you first go, you wonder what the hell was wrong with you for not going to all the others you passed up on, lol.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 PM
roast

man I'm exhausted.... that 97 degree heat took it out of me.... I'll post up some pictures later...

LJ... I gotta hand it to you, you put on a great event... it's safe... well organized... good turnout.... and a whole lotta fun! Can't wait to do it again....
Old 07-20-2008, 01:59 PM
LJ.

I am in a partial state of dead. I am beat too. Glad you made it out and had a good time. Thanks alot for spending time doing corner flagging. Right now that is the limiting factor in the event. Too much time wasted cycling people out to the corners and bringing them back. Unfortunately I can't seem to recruit any Z club members to come out and do it, so we kind of are stuck having to drag people out there when they aren't driving for the time being. I don't like it anymore than you guys do. Once I get something done about that, the events will go MUCH better and it will be possible to get everyone 4-5 runs in by noon, noon-thirty.

We gotta drum up some more Z33's for these! What's up with all the "track" model owners in OKC? Scared to get those brembos dusty??

I am looking forward to seeing the pics! Get some race pads for Hallett!

Last edited by LJ.; 07-20-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:43 PM
n2oZ

i could bring my 07 from amarillo for this, been dying to take it to a track. Fill me in with more details on this please.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:19 PM
LJ.

Please swing over to www.okzcc.com and look in the "upcoming events" forum. You can also check "past events" forum to see some feedback on these. The next one will be Sept 7th, and we'd love to have you, but I must say it is one helluva drive from Amarillo. It'll cost you way more in gas than it will to pay the entry fee!

If I were you, I'd make plans for THIS instead. You do not want to miss out on it.

Last edited by LJ.; 07-20-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 AM
cracka350z

wish i coulda made it...i was at the vets office all day for a pet emergency. ended up not going well there...lost a pet ill have to get out to the next one!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
cellude

Lots of fun! Thanks LJ and nice to meet you Roast. This was the first time tracking the Z.

Things learned:
1) Stock front brakes faded but seemed to do ok compared to the rears, weird. The rear brakes completed disintegrated from the heat pretty much after one round. On the way home I could hear the metal backing plates from the brake pads grinding the rotors everytime I slowed down. And yes, my rotor is quite grooved.
I wonder if I could get it cover under warranty since I only have 8000 miles on the car.!
Oh well, EBC Yellow time!

2) Track layout included a brake torture test front straight so stock brakes probably isn't enough if you like to do deep into the braking zone.

3) The Quaife LSD was wonderful. It almost felt like traction control since it allowed me to apply full power out of exit to be only limited by front tire traction.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
roast

Originally Posted by LJ.
I am in a partial state of dead. I am beat too. Glad you made it out and had a good time. Thanks alot for spending time doing corner flagging. Right now that is the limiting factor in the event. Too much time wasted cycling people out to the corners and bringing them back. Unfortunately I can't seem to recruit any Z club members to come out and do it, so we kind of are stuck having to drag people out there when they aren't driving for the time being. I don't like it anymore than you guys do. Once I get something done about that, the events will go MUCH better and it will be possible to get everyone 4-5 runs in by noon, noon-thirty.
That would be very cool... it can be a pain like you say but I don't mind doing it... if it's a matter of flagging the corners or not getting to run... I'll be flagging the corners thank you very much!

We gotta drum up some more Z33's for these! What's up with all the "track" model owners in OKC? Scared to get those brembos dusty??
Beats me... All three of us Z33's were base models....

I am looking forward to seeing the pics! Get some race pads for Hallett!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2798617...7606305657914/

I'll post up higher-res shots of my favorites.....
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
roast

Originally Posted by cellude
Lots of fun! Thanks LJ and nice to meet you Roast. This was the first time tracking the Z.
Nice meeting you too! I'm glad some other z33's could make it out...

Things learned:
1) Stock front brakes faded but seemed to do ok compared to the rears, weird. The rear brakes completed disintegrated from the heat pretty much after one round. On the way home I could hear the metal backing plates from the brake pads grinding the rotors everytime I slowed down. And yes, my rotor is quite grooved.
Same thing happened to me during the june event. I had the original pads in back (they had a lot of miles on them but still had a lot of material left) and at the end of the day they were completely gone... the OEM pads are just not up to handling track abuse.... silly me for not changing them out beforehand like I did with the fronts...

2) Track layout included a brake torture test front straight so stock brakes probably isn't enough if you like to do deep into the braking zone.
I would definitely like a brake upgrade.... but I can't really afford it right now. I try to use my brakes as little as possible by letting off early and braking later. The track layout is interesting in my car.... almost every turn that requires the brakes, I run out of gear and hit the rev limiter right before I reach the brake zone... so I guess it works out very well. Coming around the turn that leads into the front straight I'm in the bottom of third gear (you were shifting into 3rd halfway down the straight, those extra RPM make a big difference)... I run out of gear right before I reach the chicane...... same thing happens in 2 other places...

I liked the the new layout too... it was only slightly different than last time... when we did the parade lap I thought it was going to be slower and trickier to navigate... but LJ was right and it turned out to be faster and much more fun....

3) The Quaife LSD was wonderful. It almost felt like traction control since it allowed me to apply full power out of exit to be only limited by front tire traction.
It looked wonderful too! I noticed you pulling hard out of the turns... especially the far corner.... that's the turn I have the most problems with accelerating out of... If I'm not careful I will spin my inside tire all the way around the turn and all the way through 2nd gear..... all the while I'm not going anywhere.... I have to ease around and out of the turn if I want to accelerate at all... i reallllly need a LSD.... I bought a base model with every intention of getting an aftermarket LSD and here it is 4+ years later and I still have a peg leg....

Anyway.... hopefully you can make it out again next time!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 PM
roast

Miata lifting a tire!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
LJ.

Look at my PUNY brakes!! hahahaaa.....ahhh, I want to cry....lol
Great shots as usual!

Hmm, that gives me an idea...what about a "brakes day" where we all get together and get our brakes done? Upgrade, replace pads, flush lines with DOT4 fluid, etc etc....I'm pretty sure I have all the tools we will need in my garage, if not we can go somewhere else, I plan on putting wilwoods on mine so I will likely do it on base with all their tools. We can pitch in and order some pizzas/drinks to keep us going while working.

Just a thought for before the Hallet track day for those of you planning to attend. Lemme know what you guys think. The day at Hallett is August 29th, a friday, so we have time, maybe the saturday or sunday prior.

Last edited by LJ.; 07-22-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
roast

I noticed your puny brakes too....and then looked at mine and noticed mine are just as puny! haha

Brake day sounds like fun...

I have a lot of tools too so between the both of us we should have everything covered... I have a ton of metric socket/wrenches/extensions, open/closed end wrenches, floor jack, 4 way lug wrench, edit: (cheap) bleeder kit, compressor + impact wrenches/metric impact sockets, cordless drill.... May have to stop by the store and get some brake/carb cleaner and fluid though... If you think we will need anything that you might not have let me know and I will bring it along...

hallett makes me nervous because it's a bit of a drive..... I'm just worried about breaking something and having to leave my car there and go back and fourth or having to get a tow all the way home.... I'm just worried about it turning into an expensive disaster or headache.... call me a pessimist lol... I work on fridays but still have all of my vacation so work will not be a problem...... i guess that's a good thing?

I think we should definitely do it the week before... this way we can make sure our brakes are totally bedded in and ready to go for track day.... last june my fronts weren't completely bedded in because I replaced them the day before and my rotors glazed over... :/

Last edited by roast; 07-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.