Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Iilac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsabrale
Because it is engine blow by, it condense fluid is oil with gasoline. So when you actually smell the oil from the catch can, it smells more like gas. You won't want to add that back to you engine.

BTW, I finally got the DIY catch can installed. Pics can be seen here. Entry #170.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/237059-homemade-catch-can-9.html

Thanks for the pics. It will help me alot.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 AM
itsjiggajames

Can you elaborate on how much effect it can do to performance over an extended period of time? All my cars I have owned i've drove up to near 100k miles and were reliable and produced similar dyno numbers w/ frequent oil changes. How bad is the stock design? Not knocking on your work, because im really tempted to do the same thing, but does not having one actually create more damage / wear to the motor?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 AM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen

Originally Posted by Iilac
Thanks for the pics. It will help me alot.

No problem. In fact, I looked at the DE instructions, and tried to do the same for the HR. I ended up download the service manual to make sure I was getting the right those hose. Now that I have done it, I think I can easily locate it on other vehicles after looking at it and know the purpose for it.

Last edited by tsabrale; 02-25-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 AM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
Can you elaborate on how much effect it can do to performance over an extended period of time? All my cars I have owned i've drove up to near 100k miles and were reliable and produced similar dyno numbers w/ frequent oil changes. How bad is the stock design? Not knocking on your work, because im really tempted to do the same thing, but does not having one actually create more damage / wear to the motor?
More than anything, it's a piece of mind mod. Most major car manufacturers design the engines the way they do so they require less maintenance required by the owner. Not a bad design at all. But for enthusiasts like ourselves, we want to squeeze out every aspect of our engines. So for me to dump the oil from my catch can once of month to prevent that same oil from dirtying my intake manifold, I don't mind doing it at all.

From what understand, most of the time in a NA application, this is not a requirement. But when you go FI, there is going to be a lot more oil blow by because of the increased pressure and stress on the engine.

I don't see how adding a catch can can damage the engine. All I am doing to collect the oil that would normally form sludge and coat the inside of the intake manifold. Not only do you coat your intake with oil, but this oil is sent into the engine combustion process now to be burned off. From what I understand, this will keep your engine from burning as clean as it could.

If you feel this mod is unnecessary, then don't do it because if this was necessary, Nissan would already set it up. For me, I plan to run my car at the track frequently. And thus do what I can to optimized my car so it can take the abuse from track/autox driving.

In the future, I will probably upgrade to an actual after market oil catch can down the road. But for now, this $25 Oil Catch Can seems to be working great. I just got in on this last weekend, so I still haven't quite figured out how often I will need to dump the oil. What I do know is my driving style will have a lot to do with the accumulation rate.

Last edited by tsabrale; 02-25-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
itsjiggajames

More than anything, it's a piece of mind mod. Most major car manufacturers design the engines the way they do so they require less maintenance required by the owner. Not a bad design at all. But for enthusiasts like ourselves, we want to squeeze out every aspect of our engines. So for me to dump the oil from my catch can once of month to prevent that same oil from dirtying my intake manifold, I don't mind doing it at all.

From what understand, most of the time in a NA application, this is not a requirement. But when you go FI, there is going to be a lot more oil blow by because of the increased pressure and stress on the engine.

I don't see how adding a catch can can damage the engine. All I am doing to collect the oil that would normally form sludge and coat the inside of the intake manifold. Not only do you coat your intake with oil, but this oil is sent into the engine combustion process now to be burned off. From what I understand, this will keep your engine from burning as clean as it could.

If you feel this mod is unnecessary, then don't do it because it this was a necessary, Nissan would already set it up. For me, I plan to run my car at the track frequently. And thus do what I can to optimized my car so it can take the abuse from track/autox driving.

In the future, I will probably upgrade to an actual after market oil catch can down the road. But for now, this $25 Oil Catch Can seems to be working great. I just got in on this last weekend, so I still haven't quite figured out how often I will need to dump the oil. What I do know is my driving style will have a lot to do with the accumulation rate.
I think you misread my post. I asked how NOT having one would increase damage / wear. But ya, thank you for clearing it up with me, I'm with you on optimizing my car.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen

Originally Posted by itsjiggajames
I think you misread my post. I asked how NOT having one would increase damage / wear. But ya, thank you for clearing it up with me, I'm with you on optimizing my car.
Indeed, I definitely misread. Since I am not an engine expert, I can't say for sure, but I can only speculate. As far as not having it increasing wear/tear, I will assume yes, but no more than what the Nissan Engineers designed for our engine. Or course, one of the main things we must keep in mind is Nissan engineers designed our engines to be first a foremost for a easily maintainable street car that sometimes does track duty, and not the other way around. But, yeah, all of us are enthusiasts here looking for the best way to enjoy our rides. Of course one of my favorite past times now is working on my Z.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Originally Posted by Zerocool70663
I think im going to go buy the greddy 15mm or 9mm. I wounder which one is better I think one just can hold more oil that the other. It looks like the DIY is not to hard.
Yeah, Greddy has a 500 and 1,000 ml size, with 9 or 15mm hoses. What I want to know is why the different hose sizes? 9mm for NA and 15mm for FI cars???
Old 02-25-2008, 08:02 PM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen

Originally Posted by Clipdin
Yeah, Greddy has a 500 and 1,000 ml size, with 9 or 15mm hoses. What I want to know is why the different hose sizes? 9mm for NA and 15mm for FI cars???
I think it depends on the size of your PCV. This is my guess but I know for the VQ, our PCV uses a 3/8 in or 9.525mm hose. The other size, is for a car who use the 5/8 in or the 15.578 mm hose.

So the larger hoses are for cars that use a larger PCV valve.

Last edited by tsabrale; 02-26-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

I think it depends on the size of your PCV. This is my guess but I know for the VQ, or PCV uses a 3/8 in or 9.525mm. The other size, is for a car who use the 5/8 in or the 15.578 mm.

So the larger hoses are for cars that use a larger PCV valve.
Thanks man.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen

Originally Posted by Clipdin
Thanks man.
No problem. I can speculate with the best. :-D
Old 11-21-2008, 07:55 AM
kelsey_kaye

does anyone have an install pic of a greddy/arc just non-diy catch can in a hr? after looking at the engine bay, it would be a tight squeeze i would think. i'm just curious to see what others have done.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Clipdin
SHIFT_happens

Originally Posted by kelsey_kaye
does anyone have an install pic of a greddy/arc just non-diy catch can in a hr? after looking at the engine bay, it would be a tight squeeze i would think. i'm just curious to see what others have done.
Yeah, I still haven't installed mine because of the same thing, where will it fit??!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 AM
kelsey_kaye

that's what i'm wondering. it'll be one helluva tight squeeze unless we have to reroute some tubes. idk?!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
kelsey_kaye

any pics of the can in an HR?? anyone......
Old 12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Boba

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kelsey_kaye
any pics of the can in an HR?? anyone......
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...can-9.html#170
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM
kelsey_kaye

thanks.. but i'm looking for a non-homemade can.. like greddy.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ so scroll down that thread, and you will see one.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 PM
kelsey_kaye

wow, i can't believe i missed that. thanks. i've even looked through that thread before. damn.