VQ35DE vs VQ35HR

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onyxaltezza
Here, more specifically:

-Aaron
I used to be #8 before the VQ35HR came along. Oh those were the good old days.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nismo53E
but you're forgetting the point. HR vs. DE = DE fail.
Really? Most likely you will want to post your times here: https://my350z.com/forum/drag/233840-top-25-1-4-mile-times-for-tt-st-supercharger-nitrous-bolt-ons-stock.html
Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z
Enough already with the speculation.

Can somebody provide a time-slip for the G37?
They run high 13's at 100-102. Its really pathetic because the G35 sedan outruns it.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidv
I used to be #8 before the VQ35HR came along. Oh those were the good old days.
I guess I rained on your parade.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
stylett9

hmm, i dont think the point of this thread was to argue if the HR is better then the DE or vice versa. Just simply comparing differances in the mechanical breakdown of the motors...

i could be wrong though.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
2007 Z

I think you're right, stylett9. So to get back on topic...

The DE's and HR's have very mild differences in tersm of performance. The DE's with bolt ons pull very similar 1/4 mile times with the HR's with boltons.
I would say that part of the reason for that is because the HR doesn't have a reflash yet, which would take advantage of mods added. Without a reflash a lot of mods, even on the DE, would provide minimal gains, if any, imo.

The other part is because there have been very few HR's that have been modded and ran at the track or put on a dyno. The few that have are running without a reflash... without a proper tune those mods aren't going to work to their potential.

What Im also wondering is, has there been any proof in which engine is more responsive to mods? Coming from an I6 owner, I was surprised to hear that the Z's V6 doesnt benefit very well from intake(s) over stock, and in some cases losing power. My I6 IS300 was not responsive to BPU at all in terms of power, but they did contribute towards better throttle response, high end torque, etc.
Not enough aftermarket r/d done with the HR to make that assessment yet. Also see paragraph 1.

Betwen the DE & HR motors, which is more responsive to BPU? Im pretty sure its been established that the HR is more suitable for boost, stock. The HR's 7500 RPM redline is also a plus compared to the DE's, but by how far of a margin? Why did Nissan decide to go with the dual intake setup, for such a minimal gain? Does the HR's head flow any better than the DE's?

-Aaron
I don't consider a stock .5 second gain in a 1/4 mile a minimal gain. As for bolt-ons, see paragraph 1 again.

Feel free to correct me, or to add to this...
Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by sk26dett
A DE with 4k in bolt on's will be running with a HR. I/Plenum/H/TP/Exhaust/clutch/flywheel/good tune will be way under 4k and should pull low 13's all day

I ran a 13.8 with a shitty 2.25 60 ft. in my 03 on my second pass ever on a track with intake, plenum test pipes, and exhaust. If i got more runs that night or ever get back to the track i could easily improve that time.
Dude just bye the HR. It's better, faster, quicker,and newer than the DE and rev-up. On the DE you have to put all that bolt on **** to even get close to what an HR does on the track and dyno basically in stock form. So why are you coming on here tring to post this BS that the DE will run with the HR? Dude the truth is that Nissan made a better higher output engine and the older DE's cant swing with HR's. And if you want to bring up FI well then lets see the numbers when the Greddy TT kit is avalible for the HR.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Besides 1/4 mile times and trap speeds, the HR is better all-around for everyday driving. Much more usable power through the rev-range, more convenient and easier overtaking and overall it just feels faster. Nothing dangerous, but I can pull of maneuvers on the highway that I probably wouldn't consider in a DE or rev-up engine.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Willie

Originally Posted by Sensi09
I can pull of maneuvers on the highway that I probably wouldn't consider in a DE or rev-up engine.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by Willie
What I meant by that was simple passing and merging. With more power, such "maneuvers" are made easier. Again, nothing dangerous, just regular driving. Quote the whole thing next time.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Willie

Originally Posted by Sensi09
What I meant by that was simple passing and merging. With more power, such "maneuvers" are made easier. Again, nothing dangerous, just regular driving. Quote the whole thing next time.
The power is better, but it does not greatly transform the car. If a move cannot be made in a DE or a rev-up it should not be attempted in an HR, the difference is not that pronounced.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by Willie
The power is better, but it does not greatly transform the car. If a move cannot be made in a DE or a rev-up it should not be attempted in an HR, the difference is not that pronounced.
It's nothing transforming like slapping on a SC, but personally, I feel it's a good deal faster. I had a '05 Z with a DE motor, put almost 60K miles on a rev-up and think the HR is a big step up.

On the highway, if the HR can pull a few car-lengths over an older Z, that's sufficient difference when you consider merging/overtaking. Yes, the same overtaking can be done with an older Z, but IMO, it was made more comfortable with the HR.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Willie

As long as you are comfortable, with the Z's blide spots some extra power is always helpful.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Shadrackc

Proper use of mirrors. I don't see anyone in the mirror, I slow down a bit just to make sure. Never had a problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Willie

Originally Posted by Shadrackc
Proper use of mirrors. I don't see anyone in the mirror, I slow down a bit just to make sure. Never had a problem.
Is traffic bad in Canada?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
onyxaltezza

2007-Z, thanks for enlightening me. One of the few on topic posts in here hahah. Actually a reflash was just made for the 07s, and Im still trying to read the reviews. Good stuff so far. I still LOVE the fact that stock redline on the HR is 7500RPMs, and with the reflash it redlines at 8000!!!!

I guess we just have to wait and see what is out there then. When I get my 08, I will definitely be putting BPU on, and getting the reflash done. Then off to the track I go, and I will be on the 08 1/4 mile list. =D

-Aaron
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by finalfantasy316
i am hearing some people say that the 3.7 will be a better motor than the HR we have now. it was my understanding that the 3.7 coming out was the same as the HR just bored out to a 3.7 liter. i wouldn't say thats a better motor hell its the same damn motor we have now just bored out. so as far as im concered its not better.

just wait untill they come out with stroker kits for our motor. i have heard rumor of one coming out sometime this year that will make it a 4.2 liter. now thats some crazy stuff there.

but please correct me if im wrong on the whole motor thing but i thought i heard that its an HR. thanks
The 3.7 has VVEL on the intake side, so in theory the intake side doesn't require a conventional cam upgrade. Lift and duration can theoretically be dialed in via ECU, whereas the 3.5 still uses standard cams.

Even more so, what will get really interesting is when the 3.7 actually starts getting more attention. The VVEL system allows the valves to regulate the throttle rather than the throttle bodies, and the conventional TBs are just there for IIRC emission related work and superficial reasons. Opens up a lot of possibilities for NA, like an ITB setup without having to convert to cable throttle.

TK
Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 PM
stylett9

2007-Z, thanks for enlightening me. One of the few on topic posts in here hahah. Actually a reflash was just made for the 07s, and Im still trying to read the reviews. Good stuff so far. I still LOVE the fact that stock redline on the HR is 7500RPMs, and with the reflash it redlines at 8000!!!!

I guess we just have to wait and see what is out there then. When I get my 08, I will definitely be putting BPU on, and getting the reflash done. Then off to the track I go, and I will be on the 08 1/4 mile list. =D

-Aaron

although the 8k redline is great and all, I dont believe the purpose of the 8k was so that you can rev to 8k. For 1, if you absolutely feel like you need to rev up to 8k, you can. However i don't believe it's a safe practice. The main reason is because without the reflash, the throttle bodies start to close at 7k. So by having the option to rev to 8k, the throttle bodies now stay fully open up to 7500. Might want to clarify this with the the company that did the reflash though.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by stylett9
For 1, if you absolutely feel like you need to rev up to 8k, you can. However i don't believe it's a safe practice. The main reason is because without the reflash, the throttle bodies start to close at 7k. So by having the option to rev to 8k, the throttle bodies now stay fully open up to 7500. Might want to clarify this with the the company that did the reflash though.
1) fuel cut is 7500 stock, you will not an cannot get 8k stock ECU style

2) the reason for upping the limiter is for revving there. the throttle body closing is not the reason, since it will not be closing at all, its not programmed into the ECU to start closing 500rpm before redline no matter what redline is

3) the throttle body closing thing is probly BS anyway, technosquare said that about the DE's and that was proven not to be true

Last edited by Hoooper; 02-11-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
onyxaltezza

Originally Posted by stylett9
although the 8k redline is great and all, I dont believe the purpose of the 8k was so that you can rev to 8k. For 1, if you absolutely feel like you need to rev up to 8k, you can. However i don't believe it's a safe practice. The main reason is because without the reflash, the throttle bodies start to close at 7k. So by having the option to rev to 8k, the throttle bodies now stay fully open up to 7500. Might want to clarify this with the the company that did the reflash though.

Yeah I know what you are saying. Once you get past 7500RPMs(with the reflash), throttle bodies start closing, instead of at 7000RPMs. In drag and road racing, I think this could be a huge benefit over the DE....

-Aaron

Quick Reply: VQ35DE vs VQ35HR