Notices
VQ35HR Mods and Support related to the 2007/08 High Revving VQ

VQ35DE vs VQ35HR

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/301451-4-083-gears-final-drive-installed.html

According to aceman's math its 101 mph in 3rd. So its up for discussions lol.

TK

EDIT: NVM, he used 255/45/17 tires, I used 245/45/18 (the stock 07 rear tire size)
Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Mansmind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ 101 looks right to me.. not that I've done it a hundred times or anything
Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here was the original thread. Keep in mind we are not doing mathematical calculations of tire size and gear ratios. He was just going off whatever the speedometer said.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/268105-07-z-review-in-comparison-to-my-06-z.html
Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
rkemp1

I dont know about on the street because I havent tested it on the street and paid attention but I generally trap 106 and have trapped a few times at 107 in the 1/4 mile and Im generally well into 4th gear.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
2007 Z

Okay, sorry but no pic, it was fuzzy... I managed to get the digital speedometer to read as high as 104 mph, but that was also bouncing off of the rev limiter and you really don't want to do that at the track because it costs you time. But I'm sure there's also some error in the speedo too. I've noticed that it seems to read about 2 mph faster than what those speed signs with radar guns tell me I'm driving when going around 80 mph. So I tend to agree with the 101 mph that was stated. That still means 4th gear in the 1/4, so don't try to play that card, lol.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by 2007-Z
Okay, sorry but no pic, it was fuzzy... I managed to get the digital speedometer to read as high as 104 mph, but that was also bouncing off of the rev limiter and you really don't want to do that at the track because it costs you time. But I'm sure there's also some error in the speedo too. I've noticed that it seems to read about 2 mph faster than what those speed signs with radar guns tell me I'm driving when going around 80 mph. So I tend to agree with the 101 mph that was stated. That still means 4th gear in the 1/4, so don't try to play that card, lol.
given that 2 mph difference at 80 would you agree that at 160mph on the digital speedo your probably actually doing about 155?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by rkemp1
given that 2 mph difference at 80 would you agree that at 160mph on the digital speedo your probably actually doing about 155?
Yes, but it's still governed at 160. Maybe it's 155 with a radar gun, but the speedometer still says 160. You can correct this by increasing the size of the tires because speed is measured by the rpm of the tires. If the tires are larger in diameter then they have a greater circumferance which means more distance traveled per rotation. Hence, greater speed with fewer rotations.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Thumbs up

Here is a overlay of a HR engine with a few mods and my DE engine with everything but heads and cams.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/328813-dyno-overlay-of-a-07-and-03-same-day-same-dyno.html

The HR engine is a far better design then the DE engine. But it should be, it has been 5 years now.

Later
Todd
Attached Thumbnails VQ35DE vs VQ35HR-gooey-aceman-uncorrected.jpg  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Hoooper

Yes, but it's still governed at 160. Maybe it's 155 with a radar gun, but the speedometer still says 160. You can correct this by increasing the size of the tires because speed is measured by the rpm of the tires. If the tires are larger in diameter then they have a greater circumferance which means more distance traveled per rotation. Hence, greater speed with fewer rotations.
great, so if you put monster truck tires on your z it will be governed at 500mph. sweet
Old 02-11-2008, 06:32 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

My NISMO topped out at 160 on my SPEEDO when it hit the speed limiter. My TomTom showed 154-155 mph at that speed.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 PM
rkemp1

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
My NISMO topped out at 160 on my SPEEDO when it hit the speed limiter. My TomTom showed 154-155 mph at that speed.
I know because the car is governed at 155 actual speed. It may say 160 but thats for the sake of the speedo showing as maxed out.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

The car is governed at 160 not 155. The SPEEDO reads what the ECU is reading and that is 160. GPS will always be the accurate speed like a radar gun.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Peak350

I know because the car is governed at 155 actual speed. It may say 160 but thats for the sake of the speedo showing as maxed out.
Speedo's legally have to read high.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:04 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
Could it be that the 06 and under guys are alil upset and jelous that it costs them god knows how much in mods to keep up wit us stock?? And we payed the sameprice for our cars?? And also that we don't even NEED half the mods they do to catch us?? I think I hear alot of jelousy out of you de guys.... Both cars are great. stfu. Enjoy your car. It's proven the hr is a better performing motor in stock. The de is more moddable than an hr why?? because the hr dsn't need half the mods the de does. Thats it. It's over. Happy safe driving.
not really with only 1300 i could beat ya preety bad in ur stock HR and less money from off the line so i dont get your point. Really when where going FI does your HR make u any superior. So then take the cockiness away and lets enjoy the Z.

Also its not about just not enough mods for the HR

HR headers are equal length preety much no improvment can be made
intake is preety much topped out
exhaust ..ur using whats out
pulleys um....yea not much intrest

your car is maxed out preety much...until FI comes out or a ecu at least enjoy ur 4 mods man. And lets move on

theres a reason why the nismo Z has no improvement mods for NA because really nothing is gonna be better then a exhaust and gearing in the 3.5HR . SO stop whinning. lol

God please come out with the 3.8RS so i can really get a Z worth upgrading to sheesh. But i do loooove the nismos suspension mods very worth it in my opinion but i wouldnt trade at all for anyhting else then a 3.7 or 3.8 RS Z at this point. My engine doesnt consume oil with the v2 and im clear to go with mods.

But yea in the end who cares...the person with the bettter mods wins.

Last edited by RBlover69; 02-11-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by Hoooper
great, so if you put monster truck tires on your z it will be governed at 500mph. sweet
What a tool... Do you have any common sense at all? Judging from your posts that I've seen I'm going to require proof if you say you do. How much of a difference in tire diameter do you really think is going to be required to correct the speedometer at those speeds?

No, that's the error in the speedometer. Nissan could adjust it and make it correct if they wanted to, but why? The way it is right now people will think they are going faster than they really are, which helps for speeding tickets so long as you're not speeding heavily. If you're doing 5 over, then in reality you might only be at 3 or 4 over. Less likely to be stopped. As for it being off at 160, who cares? It's not meant to be a precision gauge of your speed, just a reference.

thats for the sake of the speedo showing as maxed out.
That statement makes absolutely no sense to me. If they only wanted to make the speedo maxed out when the car was maxed out they could've made the speedo read 155 instead. My Camaro was the same way. It was off by a few mph at those speeds. It's just error in the setup, nothing more.

If you say otherwise then post a link to a page from Nissan where they explain why the speedo is off, or else it's nothing more than speculation...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
RBlover69

yea the dig speedo is def off, but hes right its refrence speedo not to be as accurate as the tac
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
rkemp1

What a tool... Do you have any common sense at all? Judging from your posts that I've seen I'm going to require proof if you say you do. How much of a difference in tire diameter do you really think is going to be required to correct the speedometer at those speeds?

No, that's the error in the speedometer. Nissan could adjust it and make it correct if they wanted to, but why? The way it is right now people will think they are going faster than they really are, which helps for speeding tickets so long as you're not speeding heavily. If you're doing 5 over, then in reality you might only be at 3 or 4 over. Less likely to be stopped. As for it being off at 160, who cares? It's not meant to be a precision gauge of your speed, just a reference.

That statement makes absolutely no sense to me. If they only wanted to make the speedo maxed out when the car was maxed out they could've made the speedo read 155 instead. My Camaro was the same way. It was off by a few mph at those speeds. It's just error in the setup, nothing more.

If you say otherwise then post a link to a page from Nissan where they explain why the speedo is off, or else it's nothing more than speculation...
Where is the argument coming from we are arguing the same point? You say the car is governed at 160 at the ECU right? You agree the speedo is errored and reads high right? So I argue that the ECU is governed at 155 actual speed which would read 160 at the "errored" ecu! WTF! You argue with everything that is said on this forum as if your the end all be all and we are fawkin agreeing with each other. Slow your roll home skillet and chill out! Just in case your arguing because you read posts fast... again...

WE ARE AGREEING ON THE SAME POINT!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM
rkemp1

by the way your right on the last thing. it is just speculation as to why nissan would do it for the sake of maxing out the speedo. But I didnt realize that I had to provide parenthetical documentation to prove a point that really aint that damn important... 2 me anyway
Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Hoooper

about the difference between a really stiff sidewall and a little softer sidewall
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
2007 Z

by the way your right on the last thing. it is just speculation as to why nissan would do it for the sake of maxing out the speedo. But I didnt realize that I had to provide parenthetical documentation to prove a point that really aint that damn important... 2 me anyway
I read your post and I even just read it again. It still sounds as if you're trying to argue the point, which is why I posted what I did. If I misunderstood, my bad.

I don't argue with everyone, only some of people who are wrong, who are asses, or who take a stab at me (if I argued with everyone on here in those categories I'd never have time to sleep). I started requiring proof of things because of all the idiots who make posts contrary to the facts and the only proof they provide is, "because I say so". "This car is faster because I say so". "This engine is better because I say so". Blah, blah, blah... Cry me a river.

This is the first car forum I've ever been involved with that had so many hateful *******s. I guess it's starting to rub off on me... You don't see this kind of bickering at the Mustang, Vette, Viper, etc.. forums. A little, yes, but not on every post in every forum like in here. For the most part they all stick together and bash people with other types of cars. But people here seem to stick up for people with other cars and bash the people with the same cars. WTF?! It's like a royal rumble. Maybe I'll go back to just reading and not posting.

Quick Reply: VQ35DE vs VQ35HR